• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sikhs react to shooting with education, prayer vigils

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

In my city in USA, The Gurudwara hosted a meeting on August 12th 2012.
Having many sikh friends we attended the service, to show our solidarity with them.
Reeling from the weekend attack that left six worshippers and the gunman dead at a suburban Milwaukee temple, local Sikh leaders Monday offered guests sweet hot tea, a vegetarian meal and an education.

They welcomed outsiders to join them for prayer vigils in their sacred spaces and said they hoped to conquer evil with good by raising awareness about their faith.

The Sikh religion was established by 10 gurus, beginning with the founder in 1469. The fifth guru compiled the 1,430-page scripture writings that are considered God's word and are displayed in each gurdwara beneath a canopy and covered by a decorative fabric.

The 10th guru declared that the scriptures within the book called Guru Granth Sahib would act as teacher from that point.

I have visited this place on a number of occasion, it always amazes me that people come, wear attire according to the decorum of that religion. They come up to the alter (with Granthsahib) pray, put some money in the Hundi as offering(everyone does it, including children). Sit quietly and listen to the bhajans or go out to talk.
After the bhajans prasad is distributed to all by children.
Every one is invited to go to "lunger" for community lunch. Every one sits on the floor and are served a simple meal, again the children participate. The women cook the meal, and men help with cleaning.
The dedication and involvement of children is admirable.

We do not see a similar participation of children in our Temples.

Dear Prasad ji,

As a Hindu we enjoy a certain amount of freedom which most other religions lack.
We Hindus still use lots of grey matter in day to day life.

In most other religions outwardly everything appears nice and sweet but there is much more that meets the eye.

Off late we Hindus are trying curb freedom for our own selves by imposing too many rigid rules and regulations.

Religion is meant to be simple...we should not complicate things.

Hindu youths too are a dedicated lot just like the Sikh youth you are talking about.

hi
recently i saw a sardar on gukulastami day....he was attending raas garbha in our local temple in USA....he was wearing a black

t shirt....the slogans are like that....ITS NOT A SIKH TRAGEDY....ITS AN AMERICAN TRAGEDY....SAB DAAH BALLAH....

Dear Mr.Prasad,

I have had the oppurtunity to stay with sikh family, move with them, visit golden temple in amritsar, and still maintain the friend ship with quite a few of them. A dedicated, hard working, & simple minded people with lot of respect for friendship and relations. Once rubbed a wrong way you will have worst enemy also. Love for good food, drinks ( though prohibited by their scripts). Will visit gurudwara every sunday no matter what happens. Community feeding, self working in all the gurudwara, are some unique qualitiies of the sikhs. Sikh punishment whoever it may be even president of a country has to appear before the temple committe and do the penace.
Punishment like cleaning the shoes of the devotees, cleaning soild utensils in kitchen, cleaning the floors of the gurudwara, serving food , etc are done. None of the gurudwara is built or maintained by govt, but it done by the community itself. People from far of places will come forward to do the temple renovation. You cannot see a sikh beggar anywhere in india. They will make sure every one will get food and staying place near the gurudwara.
A great community and hardworking desh premee's. In sacrifice for the country they are second to none. Great soldier community. Few misguided do things affecting the community but still they came back stronghly from the terrorist problem to the main stream. Such is the greatness of this community.

Cheers!!

Dear Mr.Prasad,

I have had the oppurtunity to stay with sikh family, move with them, visit golden temple in amritsar, and still maintain the friend ship with quite a few of them. A dedicated, hard working, & simple minded people with lot of respect for friendship and relations. Once rubbed a wrong way you will have worst enemy also. Love for good food, drinks ( though prohibited by their scripts). Will visit gurudwara every sunday no matter what happens. Community feeding, self working in all the gurudwara, are some unique qualitiies of the sikhs. Sikh punishment whoever it may be even president of a country has to appear before the temple committe and do the penace.
Punishment like cleaning the shoes of the devotees, cleaning soild utensils in kitchen, cleaning the floors of the gurudwara, serving food , etc are done. None of the gurudwara is built or maintained by govt, but it done by the community itself. People from far of places will come forward to do the temple renovation. You cannot see a sikh beggar anywhere in india. They will make sure every one will get food and staying place near the gurudwara.
A great community and hardworking desh premee's. In sacrifice for the country they are second to none. Great soldier community. Few misguided do things affecting the community but still they came back stronghly from the terrorist problem to the main stream. Such is the greatness of this community.

Cheers!!
hi
i stayed in punjab more thaan 9 yrs....more than my native place....especially when i was posted in indian army .....

basically batinda/patiala/ jallundar/ ludiana areas....when i was in chandigarh...i visited amritsar and wagah border...

very hard working ppl....highest GDP among indians.....community oriented....stamina a lot.....nice lungar food

in gurudwara....i used to visit gurudwara regularly.....but community has a lot of internal problems....

Dear Sri Prasad,

The word "Sikh" in Punjabi language means disciple. Sikhs consider themselves as the disciples of God who follow the writings and teachings of the Ten Sikh Gurus .

Sikhs follow the path of practical Religion which guides "Right living" through the words of Ten Gurus enshrined in the holy book of " Guru Granth Sahib".

In Sikhism "Normal Family life (Grahasth) is encouraged, celibacy or renunciation of the world is not necessary to achieve salvation. The devotee must live in the world yet keep his mind pure. He must be a soldier, a scholar, a saint". Sikhism does not encourage fasting "Let good conduct be thy fasting." says Guru Nanak Dev,

Honest labour and work are the approved way of living ones life. It is considered honourable to earn ones daily bread through honest work and not by begging or dishonest means. "He who eats what he earns through his earnest labour and from his hand gives something in charity; he alone, O Nanak, knows the true way of life" says Guru Nanak Dev.

The individual is expected to help others in need through charity.

Three main functions are carried out in Gurdwara. Kirthan - singing of hymns from Guru Grandh Sahib, Katha - reading of Guru Grandh Sahib and Langar - Free community kitchen.

Seva, voluntary community service is an integral part of Sikh religion. In fact Kar-Seva is the word imparted from Sikhism only. The free community kitchen (langar) found at every Gurdwara and open to people of all religions is an expression of this community service.

A great Religion indeed. When I visit Delhi I go to Gurudwara Sisganj Sahib in Chandni Chowk in old Delhi where the revered ninth Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur was beheaded by Aurangzeb for refusing to convert to Islam.

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

I am glad that strict discipline of the sikhs in dress, non-shaving, acceptance of the punishment given by the religious heads for acts considered un-sikh or against sikh interests is appreciated by us here in this forum. Why not extend the same grace to minority hindus too?

What happens to the sikh who fall out of the fold, shave head and face and look like non-sikhs? About 30 years ago, a colleague of mine, a traditional sikh, opted out one day and became clean shaven. His wife objected, did not let him in and was forced to stay away. I don't know what happened afterwards.

They are so strong in their conviction and adherence of traditions that even army and police departments in USA and UK have to yield.

A nice sardarji joke.

There was a big queue for boarding the bus. One sardarji pushed all others and got into the bus. When others objected his rashness and rudeness, he said - when there is a war with pakistan, all say 'sardraji, aage bado, ab boltehai, hey, peechay jao'.

Hey what is this?

Everyone is praising Sardarjis?

Why no one is finding fault who is a True Sardar or who is a namesake Sardar?LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back