• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

seeking information on the practice of Maangalya Dharanam

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbkhema

I have read translations of all the Major smritis and grihya sutras
In south India we usually follo the Mitakshara intepretaition of Yajanvalika smriti
Nither does the Mitakshara interprtatiom , yajamvalika smriti of the other major smritisincling manu deal with
Maangalyadharanam
Mitakshara refers to Knniga Dhana , CicuMTbulating the fire (Sapthapthi) and stepping no the stone( Ammi mithithal)
Can one of the more learned members inform the verse, chapter or adhaya khanda or patala and the main smriti or sutra
so that I can go deeply into the issue of my studies
Namaskarams
PBK

I have read translations of all the Major smritis and grihya sutras
In south India we usually follo the Mitakshara intepretaition of Yajanvalika smriti
Nither does the Mitakshara interprtatiom , yajamvalika smriti of the other major smritisincling manu deal with
Maangalyadharanam
Mitakshara refers to Knniga Dhana , CicuMTbulating the fire (Sapthapthi) and stepping no the stone( Ammi mithithal)
Can one of the more learned members inform the verse, chapter or adhaya khanda or patala and the main smriti or sutra
so that I can go deeply into the issue of my studies
Namaskarams
PBK

"Maangalya Dhaaranam" does not form part of a vedic (vaideeka) marriage; for a marriage as per the veda, smritis etc., therefore, Thaalikettu is not at all necessary. Marriage is deemed to have taken place as soon as the (brAhmaNa) groom takes hold of the hand of the bride (i.e., pANigrahaNam) for the first time. But with the passage of time the whole wedding ceremony has undergone change.

The word "thAli" itself comes from the sAnskrit "thALee" or palm-leaf. It is the view of some learned people that among the ancient tamil people, there was this custom of writing on a bit of palm-leaf "wife of xxxxx", rolling that palm-leaf bit into the shape of a locket and tying it on the wife's neck with a string. This was to serve as a warning to other menfolk not to covet/grab/rape this woman. In course of time, this custom became fashionable and the wealthy people also started making gold lockets (but without any palm-leaf or writing, etc., because these women from the wealthy cross-section of the society did not have to fear outside men) and gradually this took on various changes in the shape and details of the golden locket, the string being replaced by golden chain, etc. Today, different communities have different norms for the thAli.

Even the oft-heard couplet, "mAngalyaM tantunaanEna mamajeevana hEtunA..." is not from any veda; it is most probably composed by some scholar. FYKI, there is no such mAngalyadhAraNam in north India even now.

Thank you sangam. You have confirmed one of my conclusions that it I superfluous to a traditional wedding ceremony
Incidentally the wedding terms have been modified in the south for christians
Instead of the words " with this ring I theewed" Thali has been substituted for ring
I am gonig to post more or the subject of wedding. Panigrahana is ony on of the s everal modes

source wiki; soundaralahari may give more info:

The significance of the mangala sutra was re-iterated by Adi Shankara in his famous book Soundarya Lahari. According to Hindu cultural ethos, the mangala sutra celebrates the relationship between a husband and a wife and is for the long life of the husband. The bridegroom ties the mangala sutra to the neck of the bride uttering, “May you live long by wearing this sacred mangal sutra, the reason of my life”. Married women wear a mangala sutra throughout their life as it is believed that the practice enhances the well-being of her husband and family. It is also believed that the mangala sutra protects the marriage from any evil eye. Three knots symbolize three different aspects of a married woman - the first knot represents her obedience to her husband, the second to his parents and the third represents her respect for God.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back