• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts calories

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Rice, the lifeblood of so many nations' cuisines, is perhaps the most ubiquitous food in the world. In Asia, where an estimated 90 percent of all rice is consumed, the pillowy grains are part of almost every meal. In the Caribbean, where the starch is often mixed with beans, it's a staple too. Even here in the United States, where people eat a comparatively modest amount of rice, plenty is still consumed.
Rice is popular because it's malleableit pairs well with a lot of different kinds of food—and it's relatively cheap. But like other starch-heavy foods, it has one central flaw: it isn't that good for you. White rice consumption, in particular, has been linked to a higher risk of diabetes.A cup of the cooked grain carries with it roughly 200 calories, most of which comes in the form of starch, which turns into sugar, and often thereafter body fat.
But what if there were a simple way to tweak rice ever so slightly to make it much healthier?
An undergraduate student at the College of Chemical Sciences in Sri Lanka and his mentor have been tinkering with a new way to cook rice that can reduce its calories by as much as 50 percent and even offer a few other added health benefits. The ingenious method, which at its core is just a simple manipulation of chemistry, involves only a couple easy steps in practice.

"What we did is cook the rice as you normally do, but when the water is boiling, before adding the raw rice, we added coconut oil—about 3 percent of the weight of the rice you're going to cook," said Sudhair James, who presented his preliminary research at National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) on Monday. "After it was ready, we let it cool in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. That's it."
Scientists have discovered a simple way to cook rice that dramatically cuts the calories - The Washington Post

Really?! Adding 3% coconut oil to the weight of the rice to cook reduces calories? I'm inclined to think that added oil will increase calorific content of the rice thus cooked...

Dr.Oz suggests another alternative... for those who have severe carb cravings and would like to eat a lot of rice, they can try eating 1 tsp. of Almond Butter 1/2 hr before eating rice. This is supposed to reduce Carb cravings considerably, thereby reducing the intake of rice consumed.

............. "What we did is cook the rice as you normally do, but when the water is boiling, before adding the raw rice, we added coconut oil—about 3 percent of the weight of the rice you're going to cook," said Sudhair James, who presented his preliminary research at National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society (ACS) on Monday. "After it was ready, we let it cool in the refrigerator for about 12 hours. That's it.".....
In the refrigerator for 12 hours and that's it?!?

How do you eat it - cold or after heating in the microwave? :confused:

Frankly speaking rice is not all that much a culprit.

I eat rice these days 2 times a day..at 11am and next at 6pm..and my weight is constant.

When I eat rice..I eat lots of vegetables along with it.

Since I cook my food and take it work..I make fried rice with whatever vegetables I can lay my hands on cut and thrown it and cooked with a good helping of extra virgin coconut oil.

Just make sure no eating anything after 7pm...your body will not gain weight PROVIDED you exercise almost daily.

Dear Renu,

Agreed! All rice eaters are not obese!

All depends the metabolism, the exercise done and the amount of rice eaten! :)

But, I have see a few rice eaters - cooking half a kilo of rice for lunch - and still strong and slim!

Of course they work hard in the paddy fields! The side dish is mostly raw onions and green chillies !! :sad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back