• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Sai subbulakshmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

next to kamala (radha vasanthi), the sai subbu duo were the hottest of bharatanatyam dancers of the 1950s.

they were talked about a lot in my household. not sure of the connection, but all the folks of that generation have passed on.

if these two sai subbu are still alive, they must be in their 60s. wonder what happened to them. the mature connoosseurs of this noble forum may know them, may know of them.

here is a ridiculous clip of sai subbu dance in a hindi (!!!) movie:). could not help bharatanatyam transformed to suit bollywood mores of yester years, when bharatanatyam was the 'item dance' of those times. move over mallika sherawat ;)

[video=youtube;9lIXSFGyW-E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9lIXSFGyW-E[/video]

thank you PJ.

so close a relative too. what about subbulakshmi. how did her life turn out? did they both live in madras?

thank you again.

i forget what the context was...maybe we too were related to sai subbu. i was so young at that time.. and later on moved on.

Bharata Natyam is one of the dance forms of the Gods like Kucchu Pudi, Mohiniattam rooted strongly in our Natya Sastra. Only fools will mock such a dance form !!

Bharata Natyam is one of the dance forms of the Gods like Kucchu Pudi, Mohiniattam rooted strongly in our Natya Sastra. Only fools will mock such a dance form !!

i guess you are identifying yourself as a fool, which is ok with me. btw is it the shakespearean meaning that you refer to? that would be too pompous of you. would it not?

no matter what, try to be a little more dignified as i would insist that as i opened this post.

if not, kindly get lost. nobody needs your input here.

and dear fool, i was not mocking bharatanatyam. i was commenting on bollywood. kindly learn to read your english, while you are it. no need to show off your ignorance, and here i mean the word in the current usage.

Bharathanatyam has NO language barrier, Sir! So, nothing to ridicule!

In fact the meaning of the song in an unfamiliar language is understood better when we see the dance!

Here is a Meera bhajan in bharathanatyam. :thumb:

Meera Bhajan - Bharathanatyam - YouTube

dear raji,

while i stand corrected re bharatanatyam, which i did not dispute at all in the first place, i was commenting on the bollywood use of it, in the scene presented there.

master bhajan or bharatha samudayam vaazhgavey (i dont know if you have seen it - it is a current modern bharatanatyam choreography of india as viewed by poet bharathi and is very much popular and in vogue now :) ) - i have seen. i have bharatanatyam in my family since early 1960s and one of my cousins is a brand name in chennai. so please do not lecture to me about the glories of that art.

we might also want to remember, till 1930s we had consigned the so called sacred art to the sole confines of devadasis, a group of people, we shunned. right? it was only when brahmin girls started dancing, that this art, got 'respectability' and moved from the temple floor, to the sabha halls.

back to the dvd..

but this dvd appeared to be a rustic scene, and i was considering the realism of it. so there was nothing to ridicule or get hot under your collar. hope i have clarified. what irked me was my concept of what these 'rasikas' were as shown in the movie. the movie appeared to demean bharatanatyam due to the environs in which the dance was performed. again i did not see the whole movie, and i might be out of context here, but the song scene, did not give due respect to the art. that is all my point.

moreover, this thread was a paen to sai subbu and a fond reminder of their prominence. i had a few more dvd but this forum would accept only one dvd per post, and i got tired of starting new posts for each other.

i had no problem with a mild reply to you as earlier done. you are a gentle lady, and i have no issues stooping, even for an imagined mockery. :) it takes energy to answer at length..and sometimes felt unnecessary.

but that seemed to be an incentives for some ignorasmuses and idiots to take potshots at me. that i think has no space in a thread opened by me, and where someone was waiting to throw a stone, without understanding english. they think my mild reply was a licence to their verbal diarrhea, and i wish to remind them to keep them boiled heads, where it belongs. ie inside the garbage can.

it is best that guys LIKE jaykay767 learn to read and understand english, or shove their head in a hole in the ground, and claim that the sky is falling. or better still, dip their head in a bucket of fresh cow dung, and when they come out, they will smell sweeter than their current disposition.

Last edited:
Dear Kunjuppu,

Having reported your silly post to the moderator, let me respond. I would not have done it in the earlier times, just responded back in kind !!

You please understand English. My post is crystal clear – “only fools will mock Bharata Natyam”.

So If you were not mocking Bharata Natyam as you state, then you are not a fool !!

And if you dont want my opinion, then why are you getting so agitated with my post & writing a detailed response on why you are not a fool......

Cheers,

....... what irked me was my concept of what these 'rasikas' were as shown in the movie. the movie appeared to demean bharatanatyam due to the environs in which the dance was performed. again i did not see the whole movie, and i might be out of context here, but the song scene, did not give due respect to the art. that is all my point. .....
The dress and steps are like bharathanatyam where as these girls dance for a rich guy! Very sad!!

Did you notice someone like their mom (?) sitting in the audience?

Buddha was teaching a group of people, when he found himself on the receiving end of a fierce outburst of abuse from a bystander, who was for some reason very angry.

The Buddha listened patiently while the stranger vented his rage, and then the Buddha said to the group and to the stranger, "If someone gives a gift to another person, who then chooses to decline it, tell me, who would then own the gift? The giver or the person who refuses to accept the gift?"

"The giver," said the group after a little thought. "Any fool can see that," added the angry stranger.

"Then it follows, does it not," said the Buddha, "all the abuses you just said are for you, oh my dear fool, learn to love others not hate them !!”

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

This song you have posted appears in the movie Azaad (1955) and the story line is this:

"After her widower dad Kedarnath passes away, Shobha goes to live with his friend, Charandas and his wife Shanta,

who had their son go missing as a child. Years later Shobha is now matured and Charandas scouts for a suitable groom.

A wealthy man Sunder would like to marry Shobha but the family detests him. Then one night Shobha is abducted. The

Police are informed but their search is in vain. A few days later they get wind that Shobha may be in Sunder's custody, a

search does prove to be in vain. Then Shobha returns home and tells them she was rescued by a wealthy man named Azaad,

housed in a mansion, looked after very well and brought back home all in one piece. They subsequently find out that the

wealthy man is none other than a notorious bandit named Azaad. They are even more shocked when Shobha informs them

that she wants to get married to Azaad. Will Charandas and Shanta permit her to marry a bandit?"

Source:
wikipedia /Azaad (1955 film)

Buddha was teaching a group of people, when he found himself on the receiving end of a fierce outburst of abuse from a bystander, who was for some reason very angry.

The Buddha listened patiently while the stranger vented his rage, and then the Buddha said to the group and to the stranger, "If someone gives a gift to another person, who then chooses to decline it, tell me, who would then own the gift? The giver or the person who refuses to accept the gift?"

"The giver," said the group after a little thought. "Any fool can see that," added the angry stranger.

"Then it follows, does it not," said the Buddha, "all the abuses you just said are for you, oh my dear fool, learn to love others not hate them !!”

good. you better to learn to love yourself. and also polish your undestanding of english before using epithets on people without understanding the full context, or at least having the brains to ASK for verification. your assumptions makes a donkey out of you. i dont want to insult the asses.

Dear Kunjuppu Sir,

This song you have posted appears in the movie Azaad (1955) and the story line is this:

"After her widower dad Kedarnath passes away, Shobha goes to live with his friend, Charandas and his wife Shanta,

who had their son go missing as a child. Years later Shobha is now matured and Charandas scouts for a suitable groom.

A wealthy man Sunder would like to marry Shobha but the family detests him. Then one night Shobha is abducted. The

Police are informed but their search is in vain. A few days later they get wind that Shobha may be in Sunder's custody, a

search does prove to be in vain. Then Shobha returns home and tells them she was rescued by a wealthy man named Azaad,

housed in a mansion, looked after very well and brought back home all in one piece. They subsequently find out that the

wealthy man is none other than a notorious bandit named Azaad. They are even more shocked when Shobha informs them

that she wants to get married to Azaad. Will Charandas and Shanta permit her to marry a bandit?"

Source:
wikipedia /Azaad (1955 film)

thank you raji.

and we have our sweet sai subbu dancing before a bandit? what would you say if you say that such a dance is performed before the bandits of today ie chhota rajan or dawood ibrahim or (the late) varadarajan mudaliar.

i do not want to include veerappan, for i believe there is some element of goodness and righteousness to his cause. but the above 3 named, afaik, are pure unadulterated goondas, and dawood also instigating murders of innocent folks through the bombay blasts.

in case it is still not clear to you, my point, was the inappropriateness of bollywood to put sai subbu in such a spotlight. i am not sure what the thinking went behind staging such a scene, and in the light of the veneration of natya shastra, whether it is compromised, when rightly speaking, this is a dance of the devas, performed in front of temple altars. now suddenly performed before goondas?

if the normal flow of a bollywood yarn goes, this charandas will be found to be the lost son, shanta will marry him, and all will end well. but based on the knowledge of the story, and even less to me, based on the scene which i termed 'rustic', more out of politeness and not wishing to sound crude, i questioned and hence termed the situation 'ridiculous'.

it takes a little thinking to get to where i was, and i hope this rather tedious explanation satisfies you. overall i think, one should not jump into conclusions, especially of the nasty kind, but before condemning a person, atleast ask for a clarification. i would have only been too happy, and for your raji, especially, extremely delighted to detail my thought process. and all this would be done without any anguish, and also without the benefit of that ass jaykay767 inserting his smelly paw inbetween.

:) have a good day. enough said.

good. you better to learn to love yourself. and also polish your undestanding of english before using epithets on people without understanding the full context, or at least having the brains to ASK for verification. your assumptions makes a donkey out of you. i dont want to insult the asses.

You really really need to learn English !!. Buddha is calling you a fool & you are unable to understand that. Pl book an appointment with my secretary for an English course, she will teach you some !!

Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

Yes, I saw the 'reported' post. Sorry, Sri Kunjuppu Ji is correct. You are the one who first used the word 'fool' clearly intended towards him. Arguing that if he is not mocking the dance form he should not take offense does not wash.

I am letting the posts stand as they are.

If you continue in this vein, I will intervene.

Regards,
KRS

Dear Sri Jaykay767 Ji,

Yes, I saw the 'reported' post. Sorry, Sri Kunjuppu Ji is correct. You are the one who first used the word 'fool' clearly intended towards him. Arguing that if he is not mocking the dance form he should not take offense does not wash.

I am letting the posts stand as they are.

If you continue in this vein, I will intervene.

Regards,
KRS

thanks KRS.

Please remove posts viewed offensive to Jaykay67 or edit it to satisfy him.

i had no intention of provoking him, but hopefully he now understands the difference between terming someone a fool, and calling an event 'foolish'. i would have given him the benefit of the doubt, had he used the latter term, or atleast asked for clarification. :)

moreover, all this would have been avoided, had he just asked me for clarification.

thanks again. and do apologize for you having to step in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back