• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Remove 'insulting' remarks from railway concessional tickets for senior citizens: DMK MP

drsundaram

https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/remove-insulting-remarks-from-railway-concessional-tickets-for-senior-citizens-dmk-mp-119073101156_1.html

A DMK parliamentarian on Wednesday called upon the government to withdraw the "insulting" words printed on railway concessional tickets for senior citizens.

Raising the issue during the Zero Hour in the Rajya Sabha, DMK's Tiruchi Siva said that on the reverse side of the concessional tickets bought by senior citizens is written: "Are you aware that 43 per cent of your fare is borne by the common citizens of the country?"

He said senior citizens are happy that the government has shown a gesture of giving concessions to them, but found the remarks insulting.

"A person can withstand poverty and can tolerate hunger but not indignity. Why should these insinuating remarks come on the ticket?" he asked.

Siva said it was totally "unwarranted and insinuating".

"In a country, before giving food and concessions to any person or any individual, his self-respect and prestige must be upheld. That must be ensured by a democratic country," he said urging the government to withdraw the remarks.

He said everyone who is travelling on a train is a common citizen and everybody is a tax-payer. "Kindly don't make a mark of indignation on any citizen in this country," he added.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

since i buy train tkt online and therefore could never see such text in offline bought tkt. If Railways print such text it is surely derogatory and and not wisdomic from a Govt . Then, what about MLA MPS and Ministers who gets everything free. Whose money is being compensated for them???

gtnsharma

If shah in welfare state,the railways seems to be denigrate senior citizen,then what is the plight of such people in family.?!

https://www.business-standard.com/article/news-ani/remove-insulting-remarks-from-railway-concessional-tickets-for-senior-citizens-dmk-mp-119073101156_1.html

A DMK parliamentarian on Wednesday called upon the government to withdraw the "insulting" words printed on railway concessional tickets for senior citizens.

Raising the issue during the Zero Hour in the Rajya Sabha, DMK's Tiruchi Siva said that on the reverse side of the concessional tickets bought by senior citizens is written: "Are you aware that 43 per cent of your fare is borne by the common citizens of the country?"

He said senior citizens are happy that the government has shown a gesture of giving concessions to them, but found the remarks insulting.

"A person can withstand poverty and can tolerate hunger but not indignity. Why should these insinuating remarks come on the ticket?" he asked.

Siva said it was totally "unwarranted and insinuating".

"In a country, before giving food and concessions to any person or any individual, his self-respect and prestige must be upheld. That must be ensured by a democratic country," he said urging the government to withdraw the remarks.

He said everyone who is travelling on a train is a common citizen and everybody is a tax-payer. "Kindly don't make a mark of indignation on any citizen in this country," he added.

(This story has not been edited by Business Standard staff and is auto-generated from a syndicated feed.)

since i buy train tkt online and therefore could never see such text in offline bought tkt. If Railways print such text it is surely derogatory and and not wisdomic from a Govt . Then, what about MLA MPS and Ministers who gets everything free. Whose money is being compensated for them???

Brahmanyan

I am sorry such insensitive and insulting advertisement are printed on the tickets issued to senior citizens. If the Railways are interested, there are many ways of reducing the expenses.
They can reduce the number of free tickets issued to their staff. Railways can introduce more trains on the crowded routes.
Railways should not think they are only profit making Company, they have to serve the public also.
I hope the Ministry of Railways stop such insulting advertisements on the tickets.

Many thanks to the DMK, Member of Parliament Tiruchi Siva for taking up the this issue in the Parliament.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

surianns

Yes I too have seen the remarks recently - it is too condescending and derogatory. Railways should first look at their efficiency and corruption within and then make these high sounding statements to public.

Balacs

I am sorry such insensitive and insulting advertisement are printed on the tickets issued to senior citizens. If the Railways are interested, there are many ways of reducing the expenses.
They can reduce the number of free tickets issued to their staff. Railways can introduce more trains on the crowded routes.
Railways should not think they are only profit making Company, they have to serve the public also.
I hope the Ministry of Railways stop such insulting advertisements on the tickets.

Many thanks to the DMK, Member of Parliament Tiruchi Siva for taking up the this issue in the Parliament.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
Senior citizens have throughout their lifetime contributed a huge amount by way of tax. I was in the highest tax bracket where I had to pay an income tax of 30% + education cess and what not. Whatever little was left over was invested in fixed deposits in public sector banks. Here too banks deduct TDS of 10% on interest amount and I had to pay balance 20% TDS from my pocket. Apart from this, Sales tax or VAT on home appliances, profession tax etc. I could have bought at least a 2 bedroom apartment in a posh locality in Chennai with the amount I paid by way of various taxes over a period of 40 years. To add insult to injury, we senior citizens are informed in writing that the general public is contributing 43% of our fare amount. What a pity!

drsundaram

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
I came across another social engineering method in government service.All government servants have been told that one day's salary will be deducted from this month's salary and given to flood relief fund unless they specifically request that such a deduction should not be made.

Thanks for Railways not following that idea to say that all seniors will be assumed to have opted out of the concession unless they specifically claim it.

zebra16

When u make online booking and enter the age of the traveler if the traveler is in Senior Category a drop down menu appears, appraising of concession available and also query if one would like to avail the concession or forego it appears. It is worded very decently. When people can afford to give up the concession, I do not see any problem in such question, especially when people gave up cooking gas subsidy which is quite substantial and recurring so that more of under-privileged people get the basic requirement at a more affordable right.

I have read and heard gutter like language of T Siva in election ramblings and he should hardly be the one complaining of language as the abusive language spoken is of almost all citizens in TN by DMK goons.

But this Government should also transact in transparent manner which many times they do not do. Like their introducing surge pricing, start to destination full ticket pricing they collect on some premium (Premium only in name sake) trains etc etc.

After sweet talking the public to give up their subsidies etc. they keep increasing taxes and cess on and on endlessly. The Government should indulge in some fairplay transaction instead of cloak and dagger and stealthily raising revenue almost every quarter.

naithru

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
dear sir,
this is an example of how the MPs quote in parliament about without actually seeing. not only this incident but many of our scriptures they do not read but happily quote. the said ticket issued by railways is for all, including the so called MPs and MLAs. When they travel the tickets are invariably showed by the PAs and not by the VIPs, and in this forum there are comments by fellow members without even seeing the ticket and what is printed on the reverse. I remember the critics write reviews not by attending the concerts but by seeing the programme D.V.

1565161407377-png.7763 Remove 'insulting' remarks from railway concessional tickets for senior citizens: DMK MP

naithru

the same MPs do not feel bad when they get subsidy in canteen, housing, telephone, travel etc. after all these are also tax payers money. the train ticket issued for all not only for senior citizens including MPS and MLAs and 43% is borne by us.

prasad1

Even when you are giving Dan, there is absolutely no need to insult the recipient. It is sheer meanness on the part of Railways to print this message But in these days of intolerance, and absolute majority anything goes.

Chickens are famous for having a pecking order, in which the bottom chicken in the hierarchy is pecked by everyone else and the top chicken is not picked on by anyone. The chicken hierarchy is settled by physical aggression.

In a verbal society, such as the human one, physical aggression is less often used to settle issues of status: These are mostly deferred to verbal interactions. An insult can thus be interpreted as an attempt to reduce the social status of the recipient and raise the relative status of the insulter.

If that logic is correct, we can assume that insults are often motivated by anger surrounding issues of status insecurity. Many insults are reactive: They are responses to real or imagined slights from others, such as a person accidentally cutting in front of someone else in a line.

The pecking-order logic of insults means that if the recipient is shamed, then the insulter rises in status relative to the victim: The insulter is the one doing the pecking rather than getting pecked. Not all insults are equal, of course: Some pecks miss their mark and have no impact upon relative status.

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media