• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Re: Upanayanam

Dear Sir

This is Narayan Iyer here and I wanted to know what is the right age for performing Upanayanam for boy's as per shastram. I was given to understand that one should perform by the age of 11 years. Is it correct? Considering the same my son is born in 2008 which means he has completed 11 years? Is it ok if we perform his upanmayanam rituals by jan 2020.

Solicit your valuable advice

Narayan Iyer

Dear Sir

This is Narayan Iyer here and I wanted to know what is the right age for performing Upanayanam for boy's as per shastram. I was given to understand that one should perform by the age of 11 years. Is it correct? Considering the same my son is born in 2008 which means he has completed 11 years? Is it ok if we perform his upanmayanam rituals by jan 2020.

Solicit your valuable advice

Narayan Iyer
Dear sir,
According to shastras upanayanam should be performed at the age of 7 as gayatri should be taught before kama enters the mind. It can be done upto the age of 16. After that age we need to perform some prayaschittam. The age is calculated from the time he formed in his mother's womb. Nowadays, many are performing it at 13 amd 14 years. So for a boy born in 2008 it can be done till 2024 . For the months in the year you can consider your family astrologer with your son's jathakam and they will tell you the auspicious time. Performing sandhyavandanam is as important than performing upanayanam at the right age. So encourage your son to perform sandhyavandanam atleast once a day. He need not perform it thrice as it will result in pressur of doing it. You can teach him sandhi by arranging a family vadhyar vadhyar of your veda and sootra for 15 days or a month so that your son can master in it. sandhyavandanam gives the right to vedha adhyayanam. A brahmin loses his brahmanatvam if he does not perform it daily. At the same time it should be done according to shastras to yield benefits. So encourage your son to perform it regularly so that he may do it throughout his life with full interest and sradhai(சிரத்தை).

Latest ads

Back