• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

re: Old Post: take over of chidambaram temple by TN govt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiri2al

re: Old Post: take over of chidambaram temple by TN govt

This topic was the reason I joined this forum. Also I found out about this only yesterday. It breaks my heart as I visited Chidambaram in the beginning of this year. The ground realities of the temple are as reported in this article from Hindusm Today's Dec 2009 edition.

Opinion: Just wished to add that the goal of this move it to disenfranchise the majority of the Citizenry of their right to worship and their religious beliefs. It is the nature of the Communistic apparatus that is our government.

Make no mistake this is not about Hindus or Brahmins or Dikshitars, it is to keep control over a population by a ruling elite. And that elite may and will use Communism, Capitalism or any other 'ism', through state or private appropriation of your right to worship, travel, assemble, identify yourself. The resultant disenfranchised, de-spiritualised, de-moralized society is a pawn of the factions competing for Societal Control. This would have happened (to the muslims) in a muslim country with a communist government. My opinion ends.

Nara

... The ground realities of the temple are as reported in this article from Hindusm Today's Dec 2009 edition.
Thanks for the link, I read the entire piece. Even though the piece includes an interview of the EO, it has an unmistakable advocacy slant.

The plight of the Dikshitars in general is unfortunate. Yet, if the article is accurate, the government takeover seems strictly limited to secular administration only.

The Othuvar incident is how the piece starts, but the coverage is scant and decidedly one-sided. On this issue, the Dikshitars are on the wrong side of historical forces.

Opinion: Just wished to add that the goal of this move it to disenfranchise the majority of the Citizenry of their right to worship and their religious beliefs. It is the nature of the Communistic apparatus that is our government.
This opinion is probably based on fear or loss of privilege and control. The general citizenry seems unconcerned about who is administering the temple just as long as it is administered efficiently.

The present EO seems deserving of the public's hopes. She has promised to consult the Dikshitars and not to interfere in the religious aspects.

Your comment on communism is out of place, not sure what you mean.

Cheers!

RVR

The problem was created by Dikshidar community only. Way back in the seventies, the Dikshidar community were able to stop the Government takeover. But subsequently they have not improved the administration, accounting & audit and exposed themselves to the scrutiny of the Government.

Out of the twelvelve Saiva Thirumurai, Chidambaram has maximum songs.
Lord Nataraja himself has provided first line of Thiruthondar Puranam `Ulagelam' to Sekkizhar. How can somebody refuse Tamil Songs inside the temple.

Refusing Devaram inside the temple is not at all correct and Dikshidars themselves should have volunteered to permit reciting of the same inside the temple.

I wish better sense prevails on the Dikshidar community.

All the best

Spiri2al

re: Communism...

Food for thought..

The HR&CE's stated objective: "The management and control of the temples and the administration of their endowments is one of the primary responsibilities of the State." (emphasis added)... (from website)

Through the HR&CE assuming ownership of all temple properties (supposedly for 'administration') and all tithes (hundi deposits), has not the 'state' monopolized nearly ALL temples in TN?

By diverting the 'Citizen's' tithes/offering to the 'states' coffers, is that not a way of disenfranchising the vast majority of 'Citizens' of the right to self-determine the usage of their religious endowments? Does that not amount to state-sanctioned form of religion? And if that be the case, is that any different from having say BHEL (or a TN govt equivalent) or TIDCO designing your temples or the TNCSC making your prasadam in the coldest, most cost-efficient manner possible?

The Chidambaram temple is just another statistic in the State's objective towards it's stated end (state ownership of religion). That has grave implications for controlling a populace (who incidentally happen to be Hindus, Communism is atheist in nature). I urge you to consider the concept of state ownership of your religion and ask you to communicate your views on the same to this post.

Blessings and be free,

HR&CE - Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowment Dept, Govt of TN
TNCSC - Tamil Nadu Civil Supplies Corporation

(ref: Oxford American Dictionary)
Communism: "...a society in which all property is publicly owned..."

disenfranchise: "...deprived of power; marginalized..."

Nara

Food for thought..
These temples were built many centuries ago. So, they are property of the people, i.e. the state. Therefore, it is the duty of HR&CE to administer these temples.

All income, from Hundi and temple property must be properly accounted for and expended for the benefit of the public. This cannot be left up to a private clique. If the interview of the EO published in Hinduism Today is accurate, then it looks like nobody even knows what the income of the temple is. If there is ever a temple that needs the state to "monopolize" the temple finances, it is this temple.

By diverting the 'Citizen's' tithes/offering to the 'states' coffers, is that not a way of disenfranchising the vast majority of 'Citizens' of the right to self-determine the usage of their religious endowments?
Are you saying these incomes are diverted to the general state coffers as opposed to the temple coffers? If so, please cite some valid references. If not, what is the problem? In either case, the funds from a temple that belongs to the people, is going to the state, as opposed to a small group of 300 families. So, why do you think there is any kind of infringement on rights to self-determination? If the general public are opposed to it, they can vote out the current government and bring in a government that can change things.

Does that not amount to state-sanctioned form of religion?
No, it is not. The EO has no say on the ritualistic aspects, except to make sure the age old ritualistic tradition is followed. They have no power to change any of the rituals. Only the courts have that authority, and if a change is ordered by the court, then it becomes the government's, i.e. EO's, duty to make sure those orders are implemented.

And if that be the case, is that any different from having say BHEL (or a TN govt equivalent) or TIDCO designing your temples or the TNCSC making your prasadam in the coldest, most cost-efficient manner possible?
This does not make any sense to me. Almost all old temples have been under the HR&CE all along. Do you mean to say the offerings given in all those temples are substandard and only the ones offered in Chidambaram is of great quality? If that is your claim you have to substantiate it with more than just your assertion.

Thank you...

All of you out there a very warm namaskram,

i am a servant of Lord Nataraja of Chidambaram. i live here and know the day to day affairs of the temple. I am in the process of bringing out the facts about the dikshitar community and the temple aministration. i shall be posting a very alobrate discussion here very shortly. Thankyou, may he the Supreme shower his blessings on all of us.

Supreme disposes things through Supreme Court

Now that Supreme has showered through Supreme Court, it is time that you make your posting. Unfortunately the English Educated Brahmins have a very distorted notions about the Dikshithars and their Life Style. I have made an effort to interact with Dikshithar Communities and found that the truth is just the opposite of the public perception. In fact the scholarly disposition of many of the Dikshithars and the women folk of their family surpass even the highest scholars of the University. But it is also a fact that Dikshithar community achieve such things without the so called formal education. It is made possible by adhering to some of our age old traditions and customs that are discarded by us. Will Dikshithar community open out or will it remain as Chidambara Rahasiyam!!
All of you out there a very warm namaskram,

i am a servant of Lord Nataraja of Chidambaram. i live here and know the day to day affairs of the temple. I am in the process of bringing out the facts about the dikshitar community and the temple aministration. i shall be posting a very alobrate discussion here very shortly. Thankyou, may he the Supreme shower his blessings on all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Latest posts