• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

RAMA Taraka Mantra doubt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkrishna100

I have a doubt about Sri RAMA Taraka MAntram . Is it RAM or RAMA .I got one Likita Japa Note Book where it has been mentioned that one must write RAMA but in NOrth India I find people writing RAM ( in Hindi ) for Likita Japa . So which is Correct RAMA or RAM or it does not matter .

Secondly I want to know whether one must have initiation in to RAMA TARAKA Mantra or whether anyone can chant / write it without initiation ?

Members who have proper knowledge in this kindly clarify .

I have a doubt about Sri RAMA Taraka MAntram . Is it RAM or RAMA .I got one Likita Japa Note Book where it has been mentioned that one must write RAMA but in NOrth India I find people writing RAM ( in Hindi ) for Likita Japa . So which is Correct RAMA or RAM or it does not matter .

Secondly I want to know whether one must have initiation in to RAMA TARAKA Mantra or whether anyone can chant / write it without initiation ?

Members who have proper knowledge in this kindly clarify .

I have read about this before that RA is from Om Namo Narayanaya and MA is from Om Namah Shivaya.

I guess rAmaH should be the more accurate word cos rAmaH is Sanskrit.

If a word is from Sanskrit its better to follow Sanskrit and not write Ram or Raman or Rehman!

This is from the grammatical point of view.

But if one has Bhakti I guess even if he writes Ra. One he can still attain his desired state of mind!LOL

images

Last edited:
I have read about this before that RA is from Om Namo Narayanaya and MA is from Om Namah Shivaya.

I guess rAmaH should be the more accurate word cos rAmaH is Sanskrit.

If a word is from Sanskrit its better to follow Sanskrit and not write Ram or Raman or Rehman!

This is from the grammatical point of view.

But if one has Bhakti I guess even if he writes Ra. One he can still attain his desired state of mind!LOL

images

I think rAma tAraka mantra is a bija-akshara mantra as is Om namassivAya or Om namo nArAyaNa and there are certain rules to followed for obtaining japa siddhi of such bijA mantrAs, including initiation by a preceptor and doing regular japam of a requisite number for the requisite days etc. These are best not picked up from reading books or from the net. The mantrAs conform to old "chandas" and may not necessarily be in agreement with pANini.

For example, Om namassivAya is called panchAkshari (here Om is excluded in counting bijAs, where as Om namO nArAyaNayA is called ashtAkshari (here Om is included for counting of bijAs). I would not like to go into detail on this here.

rAmaH may be gramatically correct, but the chanting should be strictly as taught by the Guru. The japa anushtAnam should also include angah-nyAsa, kara-nyAsa etc. and also a "dhyAna mantrA". The dhyAna mantra could be different for different persons.

Last edited:
I have heard that "rama naamam" does not require any initiation, and it does not have any injunctions imposed. One could recite it anytime of the day (except sandhya times when Hanuman is disturbed of his sandhya vandhanam !) and anywhere.

There is no age and gender restriction, and therefore it is a universal japa naamam.

Btw, wouldnt the visarga be dropped if it is repeated continuously?

Hindi language does not recognize the concept of "IM" and "MA" separately.

One good example for this is the word "Kiruttinan" in tamil for the sanskrit word "Krishnan". I have come across this usage in television dramas. Obviously, we cannot accept the tamil version as the correct one if we go by the literal. But if we go by the "Bhaava", then anything is accepted !

Thanks to those who have shared their inputs so far . Others who have knowledge on this kindly share . The reason I ask about Initiation is that many people take to likita Japa of RAM NAMA ( like Sri RAMA JEYAM , RAM , RAMA , OM SRI RAM JAI RAM JAI JAI RAM etc etc ) and many people write these and submit these note books to the likita japa note banks and I doubt how many of those people have received an initiation before doing their likitha japa .

Thanks to those who have shared their inputs so far . Others who have knowledge on this kindly share . The reason I ask about Initiation is that many people take to likita Japa of RAM NAMA ( like Sri RAMA JEYAM , RAM , RAMA , OM SRI RAM JAI RAM JAI JAI RAM etc etc ) and many people write these and submit these note books to the likita japa note banks and I doubt how many of those people have received an initiation before doing their likitha japa .

I don't think it requires any specific initiation of any kind. I still remember during my child hood Kanchi Maha Periyava His holiness Chandrashekarendra Saraswati once blessed our Village with a holy visit and in which he requested the gathering present to write "SREE RAMA JAYAM" as many times as possible and submit it to the mutt. Since the visit was during a our summer vacations, we children were able to write a lot and around 20-25 note books of 100 pages each were submitted within 2 days of the holy stay. Every one of us were duly rewarded with gold plated lockets of Kanchi Kamakshi Amman, which were in my mother's precious collection till very recently.

Last edited:

May be we need to go a bit back in times to find out how this practice came into vogue. Whether our ancestors knew of "writing" during the period of Sri Rama? All our scriptures speak only about the recital of "japams" (of any type) and we do not come across any instance of "likita japam".

Who introduced this concept of "likita japam" and was he someone with scriptural authority to bring in the change? What happens to the tonnes of sheets of "Sri Rama Jayam" which are handed over to the maTams year after year? Production of paper does degrade some of our natural resources of trees etc. and will it fit with the modern time thinking of saving paper and going paper-less?

No formal initiation is necessary for writing down the Raama naama. We should preferably write "raama" and not "raam".

I have heard from elders that chanting raamanaama mentally with as much concentration as you can, and with the aid of a Thulasimani maala is far superior to the writing mode.

By today's standards, we should again consider — why waste paper and cause deforestation in the name of god?

I was told that the hunter was told, by Narada, to repeat the word "MARA", and in repeating he so got involved that an anthill grew around him. And he emerged from the anthill, an enlightened sage - Valmiki.

Saw this on net in a dicussion whether it is RAMA or RAM
Rama = रा + म =( र + आ + म + अ ) which is the right pronounciation.According to english grammer we add ( a ) to every sanskrit word that is having ( अ ) added at last" So due to this very reason , it is Rama and not Ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back