• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Raising Children As Good Hindus

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
We all have our own way of raising our children. But at times we all had our own doubts. Even today I feel I could have been better at it if I had some guidance. This article may serve as a primer.

I always stress the importance of presenting Hinduism to their children in a practical way so that it influences each child’s life for the better. Hindu practices should, for example, help children get better grades in school and get along well with others. Of course, there is not enough time in a short session to present all the many guidelines that a parent would find useful.

GNANA SUNYAM

/Howsoever our parents may have raised us. Let us raise our children as good human beings. My parents were particular that I am a good brahmin, performing sandhyavandhanam three times a day lifelong. How many brahmins born in the 60s and 70s have performed sandhyavandhanam three times a day? If yes, for how long after brahmopadhesam?

GNANA SUNYAM

I performed sandhyavandhanam 3 times a day for a few days since brahmopadhesam, compelled by my periyappa, my Father's paternal cousin, who is a stickler. It made me resent him. I was eagerly waiting for the day he would return to his hometown.

GNANA SUNYAM

Perhaps you would say, 'raising someone has a hindu does not necessarily mean raising his as brahmin'. Agreed. Again if you were to precisely define what it means to raise someone as hindu, it would complicate matters. Children born in the first decade of 2021 are not interested in religion, philosophy etc. They want to outbetter the other in tech-savviness, mobile-savviness etc. Ambitions have changed. Aims in life have changed.

OP
OP
prasad1

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
Gnana Sunyamji you are right. Maybe raising as a good human being is the right word. We need not qualify it as Brahmin or Hindu.

GNANA SUNYAM

Who all among us had/has/would give our children the freedom to choose their desired spiritual path, or religion, or philosophy whatsoever using their own discretion?

Ain't we all imposing our convictions upon them, conditioning and programming their minds to sync with our beliefs, customs, traditions etc?

GNANA SUNYAM

Most of them born in the 90s among hindus hate hindusim not even realizing that they have a hatred towards that religion. But they are feigning hinduism cheating their parents and cheating their own selves. If only they are being honest, introspect into themselves they would realize the truth. Every brahmin parent desire their children to go to America, invariably and preparing their children to realize their dream. They force their dream in their children also. In the end many become psychological ruts.

Solution to this problem is raise them as good human beings and leave the rest to their choice.

Don't impose brahminism, for that matter any 'ism', on them.

Dont't condition and program their minds to suit your own beliefs.

GNANA SUNYAM

... and please for heaven's sake, throw that US obsession away from your minds. The USA would no longer be a heaven. All roads no longer lead to USA.

ashok68

Prasad Ji,

It is a nice article and very informative.

And thanks for sharing this.

We were introduced to Hinduism from day of one of our learning our life by our parents.

Most were brought up by our parents as a Hindu. They do follow all religious rituals and practices. We observe them in our day to day life and experience the pleasure of such celebrations, etc .. We do visit temples though there is a puja room in every house.

Once the children grow up as adult, they are to decide their faith. It is their choice and discretion having read the people, rituals, peace and happiness they enjoy during their effort to stand on their own legs. They exercise their free-will.

Here in India, more particularly, the young generation are now paying more attention to upgrading the temples we visit. They started installing more apps and introducing tech into managing the affairs of the temple, right from regulating the crowd. They instal CCTV and monitor the devotees and think about providing best experience to the devotee by extending facilities like accommodation, food, prasadam, etc etc

In some temple, they are working on introduction of pre-paid smart cards, to ensure hassle free dharsan

They think of making best use of Tech in routine administration, booking for accommodation and other procedures and thus upgrade the function of the temple efficiently.

There is growth of visiting devotees ( but for corona).

These temples which were suffering from manual operations all these years, slowly upgraded and managed by best minds using Tech and apps. It is transparent right from managing Hundi collection to revenue collection from properties owned by the temple, temple’s overhead expenses, etc

We don’t need to pay more attention such issues like growing up our children..

Let us worship God, pray for the welfare of our family, neighbours, relatives and everyone.

God will take care of the growth of our children

First let us be Hindus and practice the principles of Sanatana Dharma in our daily life.

The young generation will take care of itself. They think better and they know the best

The easiest thing is to pass comments on Hinduism

And the difficult one to learn and practicing it in our lives.

Last edited:

tbs

Who all among us had/has/would give our children the freedom to choose their desired spiritual path, or religion, or philosophy whatsoever using their own discretion?

Ain't we all imposing our convictions upon them, conditioning and programming their minds to sync with our beliefs, customs, traditions etc?
hi

i agreed sir....sometimes what we have not achieved in our life....we impose with our children...

i like the newton's third law/ law of karma.....EVERY ACTION HAS EQUAL AND OPPOSITE

REACTION...so prepare for it... first human being then HINDU.....

GNANA SUNYAM

hi

i agreed sir....sometimes what we have not achieved in our life....we impose with our children...

i like the newton's third law/ law of karma.....EVERY ACTION HAS EQUAL AND OPPOSITE

REACTION...so prepare for it... first human being then HINDU.....
I aspired to be the best brahmin. Failed. aspired to be the best hindu. failed again. aspired to be a good human being. succeeded. also realized being a good human being is all what matters. rest are darkness. deception. false.

Aspire to be a human being. you will experience true joy, happiness, peace, bliss, prosperity, etc etc all that is good which neither being best hindu nor being best brahmin would provide. You will realize you have achieved what is worthy of achieving. Also you will realize how you had deluded yourselves and have wasted all these years precious years aspiring to achieve something non-existent and unreal.

Raise your children to be the best human being. you will enjoy the fruit of it. Not only you, your entire community, the society you live and the entire humankind will enjoy the fruit.

Wishing you the best !!!!

Last edited:

GNANA SUNYAM

How many zealous brahmins here, who vax eloquent about the greatness of hinduism and the honor and privilege of being born a brahmin, have raised their sons to be priests with a VISION and MISSION to spread hinduism, admitting them not in schools or colleges but in Veda paada saalais which prepare them to be priests!!!!!!!!! exclamation not question.

tbs

... and please for heaven's sake, throw that US obsession away from your minds. The USA would no longer be a heaven. All roads no longer lead to USA.
hi sir,

my daughter got US MD without any reservation policy in USA...my both children suceeded in USA...

no regrets....im indian army veteran...but my country never respected...but i got respect in USA as army

veteran....human value is more important....in USA...respect the labor and humanity.....

GNANA SUNYAM

Yes, I am fortunate, not because that I am in the USA, but because I am happy.
People like you would be happy anywhere under any circumstance, regardless of surroundings, external agents etc. Because you were raised as such. Your happiness is hence no ascribed to the super power status of the country you live in, not its wealth.

GNANA SUNYAM

hi sir,

my daughter got US MD without any reservation policy in USA...my both children suceeded in USA...

no regrets....im indian army veteran...but my country never respected...but i got respect in USA as army

veteran....human value is more important....in USA...respect the labor and humanity.....
There are merits and demerits with any nation/country. India also has its merits. I am not pro-indian or anti-US. Even I had dreams of studying in Harvard or Stanford and held those credentials of highest value. Besides I value vegetarian dish, that too Indian veg, made in India. I would trade the costliest pizza or burger for kumbakonam degree coffee. Value is relative. Ultimately what you value, how you perceive boils down to how you were raised.

PS: Even if I were to study the Bible, I would rather from Vedhanayagam Sastri than Billy Graham.

Last edited:
OP
OP
prasad1

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
People like you would be happy anywhere under any circumstance, regardless of surroundings, external agents etc. Because you were raised as such. Your happiness is hence no ascribed to the super power status of the country you live in, not its wealth.
I guess I should leave the conversation with you in this thread. You seem to be in a resentful mood. I was just being friendly. Your response is less than friendly. I am sorry.

Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks