• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Predominantly self control driven society

Status
Not open for further replies.

sravna

We earn money through physical and mental work. But the fact is rewards for just physical or intellectual activity does not bring the desired long term results for self or society. The missing dimension is the spiritual dimension. Spiritual dimension should be a part in any work, whether physical or mental. Otherwise we would be getting money hungry businessmen, power drunk politicians and so on. Such people and more correctly such attitude does harm to the long term interests of a society.

I suggest we mandatorily bring in the component of self control for entry into any job along with the candidate's intelligence and skills. Just like one's intelligence and skills are tested for a job, one's self control should be tested. I do not think it is difficult to find that out. Those who are in responsible public offices like bureaucrats, politicians should especially clear this part well. Similarly all those who play an important role in shaping a country's future such as industrialists should need to pass this component to run big businesses.

The government should take the responsibility to impart self control skills to its people.

The benefits are immense. There would be no longer selfish and greedy politicians and business men. Productivity would improve considerably. Crimes and violence would considerably come down . The biggest benefit for people at the helm is the satisfaction and mental peace they can derive from being able to exercise self control and also in steering the society towards the right path. There would be an overall harmony in the society.

I believe this is an idea that is worth serious consideration.

Last edited:
Dear Sravna,

When I interview staff I always ask them.."what is your favorite drink?"

If they answer a hot cup of coffee or tea..I seldom hire them cos I have noted those who like to sip and enjoy hot drinks have slower responses.

I have worked with many people before I ventured on my own..many who love hot drinks pay more attention to self than others.

Last edited:
Oh Renuka, I do prefer hot coffee though actually I have cut down on it considerably. I need to exercise more control on it

Have never liked coffee or tea; or cocoa-containing drinks such as Milo and Boost. My favourite is good clean water at room temperature, second is lime-juice, lightly sweetened. Third is "moru" with crushed inji, curry-leaves and a little salt. Doctors have advised me to drink "Ensure" as a food supplement. I drink a hot cup of unsweetened Ensure each morning after brushing teeth and before breakfast, plus another before bed-time.

Would I qualify for employment, I wonder?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Have never liked coffee or tea; or cocoa-containing drinks such as Milo and Boost. My favourite is good clean water at room temperature, second is lime-juice, lightly sweetened. Third is "moru" with crushed inji, curry-leaves and a little salt. Doctors have advised me to drink "Ensure" as a food supplement. I drink a hot cup of unsweetened Ensure each morning after brushing teeth and before breakfast, plus another before bed-time.

Would I qualify for employment, I wonder?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sir...you are like me.
I dont drink coffee or tea or any sort of stimulant unless I am a guest and would not like to trouble the host for other drinks.

I usually start my day with plain water upon waking.
Then late morning I drink Tulsi boiled in water and mid afternoon...warm lemon with a little unrefined honey added.

On hot days I like Lassi made with crushed curry leaves..ginger..tempered mustard seeds and coriander leaves added.

Ensure is good as a supplement if one needs it.

Thanks, dear Madam Renuka

Yes, I should try warm lemon-juice with honey -- கொம்புத்தேன். Also, with my "moru" drink ("sambaaram" in Malayalam), I should have mentioned adding fresh crushed coriander leaves.

As for tulsi, I know that in certain Thailand dishes they add finely chopped fresh tulsi leaves for fragrance and health. Some Thai dishes even have finely chopped fresh betel leaves. All grown in their own gardens.

Incidentally, during one of my frequent visits to my son in California, he took me to the house of a senior computer-engineer Tamil-Brahmin friend whose wife is an expert bharatha-naatyam dancer and a popular dance teacher. She had a wonderful garden of thriving tropical bushes. In one well-tended patch she had not less than EIGHT types of tulsi, gathered from all over the world. Fascinating.

She was also a talented cook, and treated us to a "saddi chaappaad".

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Thai dishes use another type of leave too called Kaffir Lime leaves...its heavenly fragrant.

We get it in Msia too..use it for cooking.
Good for health too.

.........The government should take the responsibility to impart self control skills to its people.

The benefits are immense. There would be no longer selfish and greedy politicians and business men. Productivity would improve considerably. Crimes and violence would considerably come down . The biggest benefit for people at the helm is the satisfaction and mental peace they can derive from being able to exercise self control and also in steering the society towards the right path. There would be an overall harmony in the society. ........
Dear Sravna Sir,

These can happen only in our dreams! The society has become selfish long back and there is an 'Indian crab story' too!

Of course, there are moral science classes in most of the schools but many kids go to Z-land in these classes! :sleep:

Dear Sravna Sir,

These can happen only in our dreams! The society has become selfish long back and there is an 'Indian crab story' too!

Of course, there are moral science classes in most of the schools but many kids go to Z-land in these classes! :sleep:

Dear Smt. RR,

Something says me it is very much possible. I have great ideas for it to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back