• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Post - glimpses of south indian history

Status
Not open for further replies.

kunjuppu

i wanted to comment on a couple of things, but found the thread closed.

first re jews and soviet union: the bolshevik revolution was fuelled primarily by jewish enthusiasm. for the educated and idealistic jew, this was a way out of racial classification, and a chance to integrate with the rest of the population.

interestingly, it was only in germany, that the jews were completely accepted as equals. this coming immediately after bismarck's revolution from the top. in england, france and in other countries of western europe, the jew was still considered an alien. the situation was worse east of germany.

anti semitism, reared its head again, post WW2 with stalin's paranoia. stalin concoted the 'doctor's plot' which accused the jewish doctors of planning to murder. the first post soviet pogrom against the jews did not happen, only because stalin died.

post stalin, the anti semitism got fillip from the existence of israel. the mid east situation is too complex to deal here, but has resulted in any anti israeli statement being painted as anti semitic.

to the best of my knowledge, situation of the jews, were never so bad in ussr for them to be afraid of their lives. in fact credit goes to ussr for saving vast number of polish jews who retreated with the red army, during the nazi onslaught.

now, pre revolution russia: that is a different story altogether.

back to the future

as early as 1990, naipaul, in his, 'india - a million mutinies now', has lamented the changing fortunes of tambrams.

to me, naipaul is essentially a western colonial, albeit clad in a brown skin. naipaul i consider, the best among the colonials, but still a colonial.

after that, apart from some bleatings about tambram exile, no detailed or objective observation of our history in the latter part of 20th century has been done.

perhaps, it is too soon, but i figure in the next 25 - 50 years, our travails would be looked at through a historian's glass.

i think, the journeys of the tambrams starting from 1901 to 1999, is among the largest migration of a community during peace time. the bulk reason is economic, but it does not hurt to derive a few drops of tears in the name of persecution. in the context of indian history, the concept of a persecuted brahmin, ours is a first.

perhaps an enlightened tamil historian, would, and can look back, at the tambram contribution to tamil culture, dispassionately and acknowledge those that needs to be acknowledged. we only hope that our warts, if not completely forgotten, are atleast minimized.

thank you.

vivek, it was a reply to KRS.

KRS, pls close this thread. i have moved the posts myself..thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back