This is SUCH A GOOD POINT to bring up. As religious as we may be health is health and carbon monoxide even from homam will kill you! My guru has a really nice ventilation hood that we have installed into his home (which also houses our peetam). Even with it the smoke stain the walls and I worry about my gurus lungs from so many years 30+ in poorly ventilated temples. When I lived in Maryland we once had to evacuate our murugan temple because a couple of Mamis passed out from CO inhalation!!!!! Be careful everyone! God loves us but we shouldn't be rushing directly into the homa kunda to meet him/her!
But sometimes one can get severe allergies and even bronchospasm from Homa smoke.
I wonder if becos the ingredients used these days are not as pure as before??
I attended a Homa once where I had to give the priest some medication after the Homa cos he was having an asthma attack induced by smoke.
His lungs were really in a very very bad shape.