• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Poojas and homams

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
May be they had some special initiation or something? Have you heard of anyone (ladies) chanting at home or temples in normal course? I think (not sure....Sri Boston Sankara) also gave some video link of you tube of some Croatians chanting Sri Rudram.

What is the correct position:

a) Generally not allowed - but exceptionally permitted? If so, who is/are the permitting authority? and more importantly who can object?
b) universally allowed? - if yes, any quote from any Sastra etc. is available?

I am interested in knowing the correct position.

IMHO I feel why should there be any problem in reciting anything whether ladies or gents..isnt Sanathana Dharma all about "I am the Atma and I am not the body?"
So for all practical purposes the body is just a garment..so for me I recite what ever I know and have also recited Sri Rudram at home on my own.I am not physically initiated at all in anyway.I personally feel initiation is when our mind accepts what we sincerely believe.

But this is my personal view..it might surely differ from the general view.

Just to add..we initiate ourselves when we are born into this world with our very breath Sah Aham=So'ham

Last edited:

ozone

IMHO I feel why should there be any problem in reciting anything whether ladies or gents..isnt Sanathana Dharma all about "I am the Atma and I am not the body?"
So for all practical purposes the body is just a garment..so for me I recite what ever I know and have also recited Sri Rudram at home on my own.I am not physically initiated at all in anyway.I personally feel initiation is when our mind accepts what we sincerely believe.

Just to add..we initiate ourselves when we are born into this world with our very breath Sah Aham=So'ham

I dont think any one here can object or protest.
Since none of us know for sure, do watch out - I have heard some one say that repeated chants by women might turn them to be man-ly.
Wait, dont hold me for saying that.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
I dont think any one here can object or protest.
Since none of us know for sure, do watch out - I have heard some one say that repeated chants by women might turn them to be man-ly.
Wait, dont hold me for saying that.

I have heard that too..but I think thats just to scare of women cos I was reading in some upanishad the other day..I think it was Svetashvatara Upanishad(I will check it up again) about evidence verses where women too have been initiated to acquire Brahma Vidya.

You know now woman also can start a rumour that reciting Rudram can make a man an Ardhanaree!!LOL

ozone

I have heard that too..but I think thats just to scare of women cos I was reading in some upanishad the other day..I think it was Svetashvatara Upanishad(I will check it up again) about evidence verses where women too have been initiated to acquire Brahma Vidya.

You know now woman also can start a rumour that reciting Rudram can make a man an Ardhanaree!!LOL
You know shastras have made it so convenient for women to get the benefits without the efforts.
Half the benefits accrue to a women by just supporting the(ir) male doing these stuff.
So, why take the trouble?

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
You know shastras have made it so convenient for women to get the benefits without the efforts.
Half the benefits accrue to a women by just supporting the(ir) male doing these stuff.
So, why take the trouble?

I do not believe that yaar..must be some gender bias stuff.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Ozone,

I found it..what I was referring to in my earlier post.It was not from Svetashvatara Upanishad but from Manusmirti :prathama Parisista 13:14

purA- kalpe kumArINAm
maunjI-bandhananam-Ihyate
adhyApanam ca vedAnAm sAvitri-vachanam tathA.

In olden times the upanayana was performed for the girls too.
They were taught the Vedas and the gAyatri mantra.

Last edited:

ozone

Dear Ozone,

I found it..what I was referring to in my earlier post.It was not from Svetashvatara Upanishad but from Manusmirti :prathama Parisista 13:14

purA- kalpe kumArINAm

thanks.
Here's some more
Among the educated women in the Vedic time, gArgI is the pioneer.
In the court of the King Janaka, there is an assembly of the meritorious and educated persons who used to argue or debate on BrahmavidyA. In this court a debate is held among the seers like yAjNAvalkya. When all the renowned seers were defeated by yAjNAvalkya in the battle of debate, gArgI challenges him.

In the same (BrhadAranyaka) upanishad there is a beautiful discourse between yAjNAvalkya and his wife maitreyI. maitreyI is called brahmavAdinI - knower of Brahman ...

Have you heard about
nrtyam gItam stRInAm karma?

Last edited:

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Have you heard about
nrtyam gItam stRInAm karma?

Yes I have heard and you know Ozone...

In this world everyone (genetic male/female both) is Prakirti(Stri) and only Paramatma is Purusha..so all of us indeed need to learn to dance and sing around the Lord for the ultimate union of Prakirti and Purusha.

zebra16

Dear Ozone,

purA- kalpe kumArINAm

purA-kalpe....... means approximately how many years before....?

Regards

zebra16

God knows..which Kalpa that line was referring too.

I have two or three small queries regarding Manu Smrithi:

1. I think it is in "sutras". While writing bhAshyAm on brahma-sutrA, Adi Sankara and Sri RamunajA interpreted the sutrAs differently. Some sutrAs Adi Sankara treated as new adhikarNa while Sri Ramunaja treated the same as continuation of the previous one and vice versa.

So when two such great stalwarts in Sanskrit had at least a bit of difficulty in separating the terse sutra text, how come manu vAdis and manu bashers have no such difficulty?

2. In hinduism, prostrations are offerred to Gurus and so we have stotras to Sankara, Vyasa, Sai baba etc. I have not come across such stotras or stutis to Manu...... How come....?

3. Is/Was Manu-smriti resurrected for political purposes only?

Regards

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member

1. I think it is in "sutras". While writing bhAshyAm on brahma-sutrA, Adi Sankara and Sri RamunajA interpreted the sutrAs differently. Some sutrAs Adi Sankara treated as new adhikarNa while Sri Ramunaja treated the same as continuation of the previous one and vice versa.

So when two such great stalwarts in Sanskrit had at least a bit of difficulty in separating the terse sutra text, how come manu vAdis and manu bashers have no such difficulty?

2. In hinduism, prostrations are offerred to Gurus and so we have stotras to Sankara, Vyasa, Sai baba etc. I have not come across such stotras or stutis to Manu...... How come....?

Regards

I have no idea.

sarang

There is a simple rule. What is said in vedas is to be followed without deviation. Thare are many things which are not explicitly stated in vedas as mandatory or prohibited. For these the acharyas and religious leaders decide taking the help of puranas, dharmasastras, smruthis and local practices. These will vary from place to place and community to community.

In pune, maharashtra, there are lady priests to officiate rituals.

So anybody can do anything is not correct but has to be qualified.

sarang

You are right. I don't think manusmruti was ever followed. There is no record of punishments or bounties given to any varna as per manusmruthi. Bride money was also not paid by the groom except in some tribal communities. It is worth discussing manusmruti in a separate thread.

Regards

sarang

Poor guy, has to get an idea to get lead roles!

In that family only amitab makes all the announcements, takes all the decisions and stresses his post as the head of the joint family.

I think the Ad says: No idea???? Get Idea!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks