• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Political Discussions

Should politics be allowed in this website

• Yes

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

praveen

Life is a dream
Staff member
In the last few days, we have been receiving a steady increase in complaints regarding the political discussions in the website.
Most of the people who have sent emails are of the opinion that politics should be a part of this forum.
I want to get an opinion on this before deciding what to do.

Last edited:

prasad1

The only people who want to stifle political discussion are from one minority wing, who are devoted to one party. That amounts to censoring.

Of course, it is up to the management.

Then again what is political and what is social?
My vote is a political viewpoint should be allowed and debated.

My contention is that the viewpoint of people who have started at least 10 threads might have any significance. The casual voters should be eliminated.

athimber

Although there is nothing wrong to discuss politics we have ample opportunities to do so else where. In my opinion if we keep politics apart, members can concentrate more on other issues /matter of interests concerning tamil brahmins. I mean, if I am not wrong, that is one of the major cause of existence of this forum.

athimber

More over whenever there is some hot political issue is being discussed, many other threads go un noticed or neglected because members spent more time in proving their points on the political issue.

prasad1

Although there is nothing wrong to discuss politics we have ample opportunities to do so else where. In my opinion if we keep politics apart, members can concentrate more on other issues /matter of interests concerning tamil brahmins. I mean, if I am not wrong, that is one of the major cause of existence of this forum.
A forum exists if the members participate.
If it is just an informational forum then it is a different matter.
It is like the difference between a study group in which all are equal, and a pravachan where you listen to the preacher.

Let us look at the responses we have for various threads.

Jaykay767

I am not clear why should anyone be against political discussions ? I mean most of you will be the ones opposing banning movies books ? So why block open discussions on a social media forum ?

If some don't like political discussions then avoid this section rather than curtailing the others. people watch news channels they like , they don't watch the ones they don't like, or they feel is biased deliberate propaganda..etx

Jaykay767

You don't want to be a zombie nation ..

What will you do if your kids or grand kids have different views ?

You will try to argue and convince them, but when you find they are smarter than us and their views are better, we follow their lead ...this is how open and free society works ...unless of course we want a nazi nation..

What I have observed is that any discussion against hindutva/hindus is allowed. Abusing anyone that don't agree with as bakths, andh bakths etc allowed. Counterpoint to expose such bigotry is routinely censored. This seems to be the unwritten rule.

If you don't think i am right, then conduct a poll and see how this forum is perceived by the members. I am sure it will definitely be seen as a political forum that is anti-hindutva. It is one thing to be a politically neutral forum but another thing to be a forum promoting one political party or against one political party. Using a community's name to further a political agenda is morally incorrect. But then what is expected to happen is censoring of this post and not a course correction. That is the pity.

We need political discussions.

But, unfortunately, in this Forum, discussions on Anti-Modi, Modi Bashing, and threads that show Brahmins in poor light are encouraged. There are members who try to bully others who present counter views. Trying the muzzle the voice of opponents in a public Forum is unethical. One can see umpteen number of threads that are focused against a particular political party posted everyday in this Forum which amounts to slow poisoning. Just cutting and pasting materials. Of course, there are magazines which are paid to publish such materials for their survival.

It is a pity that such members do influence the Board of this Forum.!!

prasad1

What I have observed is that any discussion against hindutva/hindus is allowed. Abusing anyone that don't agree with as bakths, andh bakths etc allowed. Counterpoint to expose such bigotry is routinely censored. This seems to be the unwritten rule.

If you don't think i am right, then conduct a poll and see how this forum is perceived by the members. I am sure it will definitely be seen as a political forum that is anti-hindutva. It is one thing to be a politically neutral forum but another thing to be a forum promoting one political party or against one political party. Using a community's name to further a political agenda is morally incorrect. But then what is expected to happen is censoring of this post and not a course correction. That is the pity.

You have been very critical of the owner, administrator, management and this forum. You have not contributed one post to improve life, knowledge, or well being of the forum or its member. In addition, you have been working to undermine India in the name of Hindutva.
Majority of Tamil Brahmins are passive in practicing their life. They are not violent anti-minority. So your views are marginal at best.

a-TB

You have been very critical of the owner, administrator, management and this forum. You have not contributed one post to improve life, knowledge, or well being of the forum or its member. In addition, you have been working to undermine India in the name of Hindutva.
Majority of Tamil Brahmins are passive in practicing their life. They are not violent anti-minority. So your views are marginal at best.
Dear Mr Praveen,

I do not think Political discussions should be banned from the forum.

The issue is not with the topic area but how it is argued. If people were to stick to the issues and present points and counter points, that is healthy. In simple terms what is needed is people follow the rules and guidelines of the forum as it is laid out.

But innuendos, direct name calling, inability to know the difference between responding to content versus attacking a poster and many such acts by a few have made the forum very distasteful. Hence I can empathize with few who want poltical discussions removed.

Case in point is the response by the above poster in this thread. Civility and not attacking a member while responding have to be enforced (even it if takes effort).

We never had issues in the past with vigorous content oriented debates. But too many copy and paste variety from select sources to promote a point of view has to be highly discouraged. In political sections, it is important that a member do not exceed 2 or 3 copy and paste posts per month. If members have to take time to write their opinions using source material (they must reference them) without abuse of 'copy and paste', discussions can be very engaging.

Let me quote a positive example. Mr KB who is a long time contributor often writes well, and provides reference as well. I may not agree with his view point always but it is engaging to read his points. So it is possible to have good debates.

It is not the quantity of posts that count for many of us, it is quality of posts and how inviting it is to participate in the forum. Many of us are turned off by attacks and content lacking originality. We are not asking anyone to write a treatise or thesis but there has to be thoughtful contributions.

I fully understand that in a forum such as this there are no cost effective means to deal with content based moderation (and besides it will never work). However, strong action is warranted against personal attacks, and those that abuse the forum guidelines and rules (especially repeat offenders).

There has to be warning against too many copy and post variety of posts.
If that is not feasible, by polling we can have consensus to move posts into a bulk or junk section of abusers.

My suggestion is to keep the political discussions as is but with some actions to protect the image of the forum. My focus, while providing suggesitons, is only to protecting the positive image of the forum and to help encourage good debates.

a-TB

If any of the above suggestions are not workable my request is to suspend the political oriented discussions for six months. It can be re-evaluated then

Brahmanyan

It is my view, there is nothing wrong in allowing issues of Political nature. But they should not be used for attacking Political Parties, the discussions should strictly be confined to the issues only.
Attacking or supporting a Political Party is "Politics" and should never be allowed in the common community Forum like ours.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

mohankp23

The moment we talk about politics, it is bound to be heated. I don’t think all of us are able to overcome our ego hence, striding hard on one point of view. So it is better to discuss political view as an individual view and attempt to score brownie point over one point of view. Therefore, I think concentrating on community issues would serve us better

Somayaji.S

Mr.Praveen -Please "Delete" the name Tamil Brahmins' Forum -and change the name to Tamil Viprah Political Party /or /better an Acronym TVPP --Tamil Brahmins have a Million problems -there is No discussion on those Problems at ALL (ZERO) -After (Late ) Sri.C.Rajagopalachari there was NO Tamil Brahmin Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for the Past 67 years --After Sri.R.Venkatraman there is No Tamil Brahmin Minister in Tamil Nadu Ministry for the past 52 years (10 Elections) -There are Two Tamil Brahmins in Hon.Sri.Modi's Central Cabinet on Merit-without any back up from Tamil Nadu -There is NO Tamil Brahmin M.L.A. in Tamil Nadu Assembly for the Past 52 years --What Politics Tamil Bramins will discuss ? -गठ पाषाणं -Praveen--Please put some pebbles in a Bell Metal Pitcher and shake --it will make a Lot of NOISE (ROFL) --There is Just One and Only One Forum for Tamil Bramins in the Whole Wide World (WWW) -Please make it also to Stink with Political odour (H2S/ NH3)

MEJV

We need political discussions.

But, unfortunately, in this Forum, discussions on Anti-Modi, Modi Bashing, and threads that show Brahmins in poor light are encouraged. There are members who try to bully others who present counter views. Trying the muzzle the voice of opponents in a public Forum is unethical. One can see umpteen number of threads that are focused against a particular political party posted everyday in this Forum which amounts to slow poisoning. Just cutting and pasting materials. Of course, there are magazines which are paid to publish such materials for their survival.

It is a pity that such members do influence the Board of this Forum.!!
I agree with you Srini - In this forum, we can't allow any Brahmin persecution, let's get rid of those who try to do so. On the contrary we need to fully support and encourage those who support us, including Narendra Modi. This is not for debate - those who oppose can leave and should not be allowed to post - period.

MEJV

People. The question to be asked is "how to we improve the lives of brahmins everywhere". If this means promoting and supporting a political party that stands for us, then so be it. We'll need to do that. Our sole objective has to be how we improve the lives of our brethren - just like the Jews do. Else, we'll perish.

Brahmanyan

Mr.Praveen -Please "Delete" the name Tamil Brahmins' Forum -and change the name to Tamil Viprah Political Party /or /better an Acronym TVPP --Tamil Brahmins have a Million problems -there is No discussion on those Problems at ALL (ZERO) -After (Late ) Sri.C.Rajagopalachari there was NO Tamil Brahmin Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu for the Past 67 years --After Sri.R.Venkatraman there is No Tamil Brahmin Minister in Tamil Nadu Ministry for the past 52 years (10 Elections) -There are Two Tamil Brahmins in Hon.Sri.Modi's Central Cabinet on Merit-without any back up from Tamil Nadu -There is NO Tamil Brahmin M.L.A. in Tamil Nadu Assembly for the Past 52 years --What Politics Tamil Bramins will discuss ? -गठ पाषाणं -Praveen--Please put some pebbles in a Bell Metal Pitcher and shake --it will make a Lot of NOISE (ROFL) --There is Just One and Only One Forum for Tamil Bramins in the Whole Wide World (WWW) -Please make it also to Stink with Political odour (H2S/ NH3)
Thanks Sri Somayaji.

It is unfortunate the voice of a vibrant community is reduced to silence in Tamil Nadu for no fault of theirs.
Due to changed circumstances and migration of younger generation of our community seeking education and Jobs in foreign Countries, where merit is valued, we have to face new social problems that can be discussed in the Tamil Brahmin Forum instead of Politics, which has no value.
Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

arunsark

Political ideology, leanings are matter of personal choice. Democracy should have dissent, but is this community formed to show dissent or discuss matters pertaining to Tamil Brahmin community

Political discussions in this forum are mostly hijacked by few members who are whipping up their strong bias against certain leaders and parties and nothing constructive or productive is coming out of them.

I would be delighted to see this forum being used as a torch bearer for Tamil Brahmins, where community unity is fostered, where our culture and rituals are saved for future generations.

What I see here is only mud-slinging which I can see anywhere in Luytens media outlet. Sometimes I feel instead of reading this forum I can just read TheWire.in

My humble opinion is lets stop discussing politics as political discussion always become personal and negative.

Whatever be your political moorings we respect it 100% and you can practice and preach it, let this not be the avenue for it. Let this be for something good for Tamil Brahmins.

Status
Not open for further replies.