• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

pancha katcha - correct procedure iin image or writing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Madisar/Panchakacham
mylapore,chennai.....nalli silks in t nagar...u can try...ok lah? An year back when I went to Hrishikesh,I saw , readymade(Stitched) Pnchakachams.

Hi, Some threads do not any bearing to the question. I have asked how to wear the panchakatcham and barring visalakshmi ramani, some of the replies do suggest that it has nothing to do with wearing of panchakatcha , but for readlily made panchakatcha..

Hi, Some threads do not any bearing to the question. I have asked how to wear the panchakatcham and barring visalakshmi ramani, some of the replies do suggest that it has nothing to do with wearing of panchakatcha , but for readlily made panchakatcha..
Since the answer is given already by V R ma'am, others are giving more details!
icon3.png

Otherwise, how will the thread continue? :noidea:

Pancha katcha - correct procedure of wearing.

The following Video link gives a brief demonstration of wearing traditional Panchakachcham.

How to wear a traditional Pancha Kachcha Veshti Video.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Dear Smt VR

Your post # 2 of this thread.

Wow! The Mama in pictorial demonstration, could easily have been me - full with the
same marble floor, white plastic chairs, TV and foot rug in the background !

How sad, my six-pack abs and Schwarzenegger muscles are missing. Makes me
look more like " Oma Kuchchi " .

Let's wait and see who is going to come up with a pictorial demonstration of how a
Madi Saar is worn - both Leftist & Rightist.

Meanwhile, having a great time in Prayag. Making myself useful to people. One has to see the
sheer magnitude and dynamics of a Kumbh Mela to get a feel of such a mass migration of humanity.
Every civic utility and all forms of transport under severe strain.

Govt estimates [ which are anything but accurate ] are between 880 Lakh and 900 Lakh
expected to visit Prayag between 14th Jan 2013 [ Makara Sankranti ] and 10th Mar 2013
[ Maha Shiva Ratri ].

It's an ocean of people here - the air ringing with " Har Har Mahadev ", " Bhaje Bhole Nath" , "Shambho
Mahadev" - the atmosphere is simply ELECTRIC.

Will try n give you updates on the Kumbh, as and when I get access to the internet. I am sure everyone
can get all data and statistics from the net / news channels - but this is a personal experience.

GuruvethunaiYay Yem

dear Mr. A. M Ji,

Everyone who had had a glimpse of your photo will know that you are closer

to Oma guchci than to Arnold Schwarzenegger. :)

So no tall stories about the non existing six pack abs and 26" arms please!!!

The foot rug, white chairs and marble floor can belong to any house.

I am sure there will more number of demonstrations on how to wear a

madisaar...both leftist and rightist (Iyyangar and Iyer)

with added attraction - which is anybody's guess! :love:

Dr. Ross had already compared and proved that the congregation of

breeding seals less impressive than a Kumb Mela by the sheer number

involved in the gathering.

With so much of influx of population, everything will naturally be bursting at

the seams!

Please Come back safe and don't get electified by the "Bholenath's and

'Mahadev's!

You did build up so much expectations prior to the 'Secret' only to let us down later. Hope this time you will keep your promise to electrify the forum after returning to Chennai!

Do you really know how to wear a Pancha kachcham???

I remember the wedding in the close family,

where the bride held on loyally to the

bride groom's kachcham which had come off

and went round the homa agni holding on to it as if it were a train

preventing a fire accident and keeping her promise

to follow him like Mary's little lamb.

Dear Smt VR

That was funny - a dutiful [would-be] wife protecting the honor of a [would-be] husband.

Yes, I do wear the Pancha Kacham - but only on occasions like Amavasya Tarpanam
and the annual Shrardham times. The Pancha Kacham was really not designed for our times -
no scope to accommodate a wallet, handkerchief, pocket comb, cigarettes & lighter.

Then, since it is not a Slip-On/Slip-Off type of garment, makes people wonder what takes me so much
time to get out of a toilet.

One more problem is that giving the attire its rightful respect and regard, nicotine levels in the
blood drop drastically.

Oh - Madisaar Demo ! - "added attraction" - thinking of a Rai / Chopra ? - Mam, you are naughty!

Yay Yem

The Pancha Kacham was really not designed for our times -
no scope to accommodate a wallet, handkerchief, pocket comb, cigarettes & lighter.

How about the kangaroo pouch which hold these and many things more

besides???

Wonder how our ancestors and many people currently seen in this attire

survive without these precious commodities!!! :rolleyes:

Then, since it is not a Slip-On/Slip-Off type of garment, makes people wonder what takes me so much time to get out of a toilet.

True! This may be rightfully called as a Jump-out and Jump-in garment!

That is what the ladies in madisaar say about it!

People with knee problems like me have to remain sealed until the time of

total liberation - since we can neither jump in nor jump out even on plain

flat floor. :pout:

One more problem is that giving the attire its rightful respect and regard, nicotine levels in the blood drop drastically.

I have heard of ways and means of maintaining the safe level

(without becoming cranky) with certain patches etc. :ear:

Oh - Madisaar Demo ! - "added attraction" - thinking of a Rai / Chopra ? - Mam, you are naughty!

Out of thousands of Rais and Chopras, if you can zero in on anyone,

then you must be the naughty one...not me! :nono:

This is not the real sari. :nono:

It is a stitched dress with drab people demonstrating it. :nono:

There is no jumper ( one who jumps in and out of the sari) :nono:

wearing a jumper (a matching and well stitched blouse)! :rolleyes:

Hi, Pancha katcha is one mode of dressing for family function/rituals. But there are so much confusion about how to actually wear it.Could some one correctly say the way Is it different mode for different sects

Sir

How to wear Pancha Katcham?

Please go through the links

How to Wear a Pancha Kachcham: 14 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow
How To Wear a Dhoti-Indian Pancha Kacha and Regular Style Videos « Ramani's blog
How to Wear a Pancha Kachcham | www.QACollections.com
GOOD HOW TO: Wear Pancha Kattu
and many more sites if you search .

What is "Pancha katcham"? Why should we wear "Pancha katcham"?

What is "Pancha katcham"?

"Pancha katcham" is the traditional manner of wearing a Dhoti by
the men folk especially Brahmins of South India. A Grihasta is expected to wear this method of Dhoti always, but most certainly at least during
performance of religious rites and while attending any religious
events.

Why should we wear "Pancha katcham"?

Even at the height of scorching summer in a hot region like
India, we find people attending official meetings in Western dress,
what with a tightly closed suit and a necktie to boot, all the time
sweating profusely like a horse - because this is supposed to be
the "formal" dress code in the said setting!.

If this is the discipline required to be observed in spite of utmost
discomfort, wearing the "Pancha katcham" is the discipline required
to be observed in the setting of religious activities.

A Grihasta is expected to wear an upper cloth always along with
the "Pancha katcham.

SriRangaSri List Archive Mar 2006

Dear Smt RR

Your post # 18 Oof !

Thank God you didn't post a video of a dim doll dressed in a Madisaar, [ leftist/rightist ] prancing around
with Sylvester Stallone [ in Pancha Kacham, with the forehead aptly adorned to match the Madisaar ]
and gyrating suggestively and provocatively to the beats of Tamil Cinema.

Thanks for that. [ why Stallone? : - because Smt VR doesn't like Schwarzenegger and can't stand the sight
of a famished Oma Kuchchi on a weight controlling diet !]

In the midst of all this, Paddu Sir is coming up with some sane advise. Sir Ji, advise taken, will try not
to let my mind run wild - it's a riot out there, and I am upto my hilt in it.

Guruvethunai
Yay Yem

...... There is no jumper ( one who jumps in and out of the sari) ...
Dear Sis,

Though mAmi's of yester years were fated to wear this outfit every day (and night!) they were expert 'jumpers'!

Now that we wear only for a few occasions, this ready made will be real cool! I would suggest to put elastic band
instead of the 'nAdA' to save some more time! :peace:

Dear Sis,
The only problem with these ready-made madisArs / panchakachams is that they won't dry easily when 'madi' is needed! :pray2:

You may remember that I stitched the inner portion of the madisAr, cutting 3 and 1/2 yards from the 10 yards saree, so that

the longer piece could be worn as a regular saree, after using it as an add-on to the madisAr! It dries up fast too! :thumb:

If the 'panchakacham' is not worn properly, it will become 'panchakashtam', making it difficult to walk freely! :ballchain:

Pancha kacham.

Why should we wear "Pancha katcham"?

Even at the height of scorching summer in a hot region like
India, we find people attending official meetings in Western dress,
what with a tightly closed suit and a necktie to boot, all the time
sweating profusely like a horse - because this is supposed to be
the "formal" dress code in the said setting!.

If this is the discipline required to be observed in spite of utmost
discomfort, wearing the "Pancha katcham" is the discipline required
to be observed in the setting of religious activities.

A Grihasta is expected to wear an upper cloth always along with
the "Pancha katcham.

Dear Sri Padmanabhan,

The discipline of wearing Panchakacham mode of Dhoti was observed by both grand fathers of mine, who were occupying high government jobs under the British rule. From the old photographs I found that they were wearing Turbans, Close collar Coats and Panchakacham veshti. Over the same they were wearing Utthariyam - upper cloth. It is also known as "anga vastram " . But it seems this practice was discontinued slowly when other modes of dressing came to replace during my father's time.

Incidentally in those days all communities were using some sort of "kacham" while wearing Dotis.
In Karnataka Dhoti or Veshti is called "Panche"

Recently I came across an explanation for wearing Three Upaveethas by some Brahmins which states "Now one Upaveetha is used by BRAMACHARINS, and TWO UPAVEETHAS are used by GRAHASTHAS and SOME WEAR THREE UPAVEETAS, The third being worn for and on behalf of UTHAREEYA."

Regards,
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back