• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Neglected Temples

Recently there was an article in FB about the very pathetic situation of the very old Sri Varadaraja Perumal temple in Haridwara Managalam in Tamil Nadu and the dedication of archagar despite poverty .

There are many temples in India neglected by the Hindu Endowment Board, Government bodies and Charitable organisations.

More importantly there are no visitors to these temples due to lack of knowledge and in turn they lack resources.

Let us make it a point to visit at least one small temple when we visit a famous or our family temple and offer little help possible to the small temple.

Additionally we should post pictures of such temples with full details and brief history of the temple in social media so that others will know bout these small temples and few of them at least may visit, thereby increasing the foot fall and some income to the temple.

We may divert little portion of our savings / funds to such temples at least once a year it will go a long way in protecting these temples from dilapidation.

There are few initiatives going on in this space.
Annamalaiyar Arapani Kuzhu’, Aalayam Kanden mentioned by Swamiinathan ayya are few groups doing yeoman service in this space.

Saigeetha (https://twitter.com/Saigeet36566874) is working with Reclaim Temples for documenting the dilapidated temples. From the learnings shared by them, these initiatives can truly succeed & sustain only if there is local patronage.

I agree. I have a request to make. There is a Shiva temple in an obscure tiny village in Kanchipuram . The small hamlet is Kala Kattur. I live in the USA. Covid forbids travel to India yet. I want to visit this temple and pray. At a minimum, I want to donate what I can for the temple and the dedicated Gurukkal, who I understand lives in Utter poverty. If you could provide me the address and details how to donate funds to that temple, I will be most appreciative. Going to visit the temple and a ashtanga namaskaram to the gurukkal, seems far fetched, as long as COVID 19 prevails. Thank you, My namaskarams.

Recently there was an article in FB about the very pathetic situation of the very old Sri Varadaraja Perumal temple in Haridwara Managalam in Tamil Nadu and the dedication of archagar despite poverty .

There are many temples in India neglected by the Hindu Endowment Board, Government bodies and Charitable organisations.

More importantly there are no visitors to these temples due to lack of knowledge and in turn they lack resources.

Let us make it a point to visit at least one small temple when we visit a famous or our family temple and offer little help possible to the small temple.

Additionally we should post pictures of such temples with full details and brief history of the temple in social media so that others will know bout these small temples and few of them at least may visit, thereby increasing the foot fall and some income to the temple.

We may divert little portion of our savings / funds to such temples at least once a year it will go a long way in protecting these temples from dilapidation.
Agree 100% with Shri Vasan, further if possible be involved in the restoration activities physically spending at least 5 to 7 days in a year by rotation or better relay time by volunteers I am prepared to support any time and any location please contact me Madhusudan Chari - [email protected] +917021773125

Such reports if contain details of temple ,address kurukal name ,mobile number and bank account details people may act instantly. Otherwise few hours or days we tend to forget.

I will settle for the Temple address, Gurukkal name, email address and or phone number! I an referring to the Kalakattur Agneswarar Temple. Apparently it is in Kanchipuram district. That's all the information I could glean from the web search. I'd like to donate what I can. I have been trying now for a month or so. Perhaps after Covid crisis (I wish) I may be able to go to India and track down the temple. Thanks! Heramba Prasad, MD, FACEP

There are உழவாரப்பணி groups formed by volunteers at different Districts to upkeep and maintain the beauty of these old temples (not that much famous). They also involve in renovation and restoration activities by collecting funds from philanthropists.

Read more at:

https://www.dinamani.com/religion/2019/oct/30/உழவாரப்-பணியில்-பங்கேற்க-விருப்பமா-அழைக்கிறது-ஆடவல்லீஸ்வரா்-கோயில்-3266214.html

Be aware. As soon as you donate, HRD dept. will be there to swindle it. They are looking as this GOD Tax. Temples, until comes back into the hands of individual people/group, will be swindle shops. I have seen this in three temples.

is it not a pity that. Village Brahmins whose forefathers established these temples with dedication do not take care of these temples. Those days atleast 25-30 Brahmin families might have lived in the village. Assuming each had two children atleast 60 members live outside the village. They all left the village for prosperity. Even if each contribute average Rs 100 every month such temples can be well maintained. But adhukku manasu Venum.

is it not a pity that. Village Brahmins whose forefathers established these temples with dedication do not take care of these temples. Those days atleast 25-30 Brahmin families might have lived in the village. Assuming each had two children atleast 60 members live outside the village. They all left the village for prosperity. Even if each contribute average Rs 100 every month such temples can be well maintained. But adhukku manasu Venum.
Yes, you are right to an extent.
But it is not that simple. Those brahmins do not own the land under the temple. We found that out when we wanted to renovate our ancestral Temple. Some local non-brahmin was the actual landlord, and he was running his sheepherding business from the temple property. My cousin was able to pull some strings and influence to appease this local Thug (Padi near Chennai).
My cousin raised Rs 15 crore from local and other businesses, and now that Temple is thriving. My cousin is no more and we have lost all contact with the temple. Hopefully, the Temple will prosper.

I also see some kind of initiative of this type in SankaraTV Channel broadcast on a daily basis. People can donate or send
puja items to the Gurukkal in charge of these temples and the
contact address is provided therein

Yes, you are right to an extent.
But it is not that simple. Those brahmins do not own the land under the temple. We found that out when we wanted to renovate our ancestral Temple. Some local non-brahmin was the actual landlord, and he was running his sheepherding business from the temple property. My cousin was able to pull some strings and influence to appease this local Thug (Padi near Chennai).
My cousin raised Rs 15 crore from local and other businesses, and now that Temple is thriving. My cousin is no more and we have lost all contact with the temple. Hopefully, the Temple will prosper.

If no one lives in the family in a village and if it is taken over by ruling thugs, then leave the temple alone. God knows how to get rive at the right time like He/she has done in the past. If you want to donate do it, but don't make a cry because private temple with Hundi menas it will be swallowed by HRD. I know a temple, the HRD tried many times to take over. But no Hundi and nothing in the name of the temple, It is still functioning. You go there , perform rituals and help the priest, but don't waste your time there. Also don't feel bad. My ancestors built a temple, but got out of it as it was taken over by HRD. Emotions will not change things. Just like they are trying to steal good private schools, they will steal the temple property. We have family daity temple and maintain it without any public donation. So, it is left out by HRD.

I agree. I have a request to make. There is a Shiva temple in an obscure tiny village in Kanchipuram . The small hamlet is Kala Kattur. I live in the USA. Covid forbids travel to India yet. I want to visit this temple and pray. At a minimum, I want to donate what I can for the temple and the dedicated Gurukkal, who I understand lives in Utter poverty. If you could provide me the address and details how to donate funds to that temple, I will be most appreciative. Going to visit the temple and a ashtanga namaskaram to the gurukkal, seems far fetched, as long as COVID 19 prevails. Thank you, My namaskarams.
CONTACT DETAILS
Mr Rajendran may be contacted on his mobile +91 8825806065, for further details.

HOW TO REACH
The temple is about 1.7 KM from the Village Kalakattur on the base of the tank bund.
Kalakattur is 11.9 KM from Kanchipuram, 22.7 KM from Uthiramerur, 41 KM from Chengalpattu and 83 KM from Chennai.
Nearest Railway station is Kanchipuram.

Mr. Rajendran is pujari which may be seen in another link below

Last edited:
60 years ago my wife's family invested in their ancestral family temple. It was in despair, fortunately, they were able to obtain private funds, and city expanded so that temple is thriving. So it is possible.

Sri Thiruvalleswarar Temple at Thiruvalidayam (Padi). - Dharisanam
I visited this temple during. my childhood in 70s as my aunt and uncle are there and during recent times that is 2ks every one said that it is one among 275 பாடல் பெற்ற ஸ்தலம் and it is guru's ஸ்தலம் and so for every guru பெயர்ச்சி the crowd is so high until covid. Five years back I visted this temple and it is surprised to see a good thriving temple. If some one wants to see it's present look it is in Google and wiki.

CONTACT DETAILS
Mr Rajendran may be contacted on his mobile +91 8825806065, for further details.

HOW TO REACH
The temple is about 1.7 KM from the Village Kalakattur on the base of the tank bund.
Kalakattur is 11.9 KM from Kanchipuram, 22.7 KM from Uthiramerur, 41 KM from Chengalpattu and 83 KM from Chennai.
Nearest Railway station is Kanchipuram.

Mr. Rajendran is pujari which may be seen in another link below

A really welldone post. The word களக்காட்டூர் in the transcription of the stone engraving also refers to another Kalakadu in Tirnelveli District but not related. The pictures are nice but could be without flowers first and then with flowers. This will then beocme a historical preservation record. The pictures are sharp but a little more closeup would have been wonderful. This is not a complaint but a wishful thinking for future photographers.
Some more details as to the mode of transportation - bus, auto etc., would add value. Are there any one to feed for a fee and that includes preparing prasadam etc. May be it is too much to ask, but once you create a curiosity, it never stops. Thanks for your wonderful effort.

A really welldone post. The word களக்காட்டூர் in the transcription of the stone engraving also refers to another Kalakadu in Tirnelveli District but not related. The pictures are nice but could be without flowers first and then with flowers. This will then beocme a historical preservation record. The pictures are sharp but a little more closeup would have been wonderful. This is not a complaint but a wishful thinking for future photographers.
Some more details as to the mode of transportation - bus, auto etc., would add value. Are there any one to feed for a fee and that includes preparing prasadam etc. May be it is too much to ask, but once you create a curiosity, it never stops. Thanks for your wonderful effort.
Only quoted the link and not personal experience this temple and this creates curiosity to see as I have visited surrounding temples of this temple உத்திரமேரூர்

I visited this temple during. my childhood in 70s as my aunt and uncle are there and during recent times that is 2ks every one said that it is one among 275 பாடல் பெற்ற ஸ்தலம் and it is guru's ஸ்தலம் and so for every guru பெயர்ச்சி the crowd is so high until covid. Five years back I visted this temple and it is surprised to see a good thriving temple. If some one wants to see it's present look it is in Google and wiki.
Google collects all information about you and eventually your safety too will be affected. Please try down loading and installing DuckDuckgo.com a free MIT (USA) free browser. So, I never touch that site. No trouble so far. Since I have a firewall using an old computer and Linux Operating System, no one can highjack your information. If you are aware, please ignore this note, else move on to Dugduggo.com ( I am not their agent or promoter, just a happy user).

Only quoted the link and not personal experience this temple and this creates curiosity to see as I have visited surrounding temples of this temple உத்திரமேரூர்
Just sharing is fine and you can be held accountable to sharing what you know. Unfortunately, when we write we need to control five concepts (which I most of the times)- Presupposition- I Know hence every one knows; deletion - leave out information' mind reading- guessing what is the intention of the writer, metathesis - transfer one experience in one area into another; generalization- make one experience as universal experience. You can see that lots of people here have the problem and the discussions go on tangent and express their personal prejudices. If you feel I have offended in any way, my profound apologies. Since the same Atma is in you, I will never hurt you, thus the same Atma everywhere. Just I am curious to learn and experience new things.

Latest ads

Back