• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Narendra Modi, India’s ‘Watchman,’ Captures Historic Election Victory

prasad1

He called himself India’s watchman, even as minorities said they felt unsafe under his gaze. He boasted of his humble origins while doing favors for billionaires. He spoke the language of business, yet could not deliver enough jobs to Indians aspiring to a better life.

Despite those contradictions, Narendra Modi, India’s incumbent prime minister, led his party to a stunning election victory on Thursday, eviscerating the opposition and giving Hindu nationalists the strongest hand they have held in modern Indian history.

His mix of brawny Hindu nationalism, populist humility and grand gestures for the poor — like building tens of millions of new toilets — helped him become the first prime minister in nearly 50 years to win a majority in successive parliamentary elections.

“This is the victory of the mother who was longing for a toilet,” Mr. Modi said in a speech to supporters on Thursday night. “This victory is of the farmers who sweat to fill the stomachs of others.”

Many Indians see Mr. Modi, 68, as a nationalist icon. He stood up to China, nearly went to war with Pakistan and brought India closer to the United States. During the campaign, he described himself as the chowkidar — the watchman. And many Indians felt he was the best leader to raise India’s standing in the world.

The election turnout was one for the history books — the largest democratic exercise ever. From April 11 to May 19, more than 600 million Indians cast ballots at a million polling stations from high in the Himalayas to the tropical islands in the Andaman Sea.

Intense feelings about Mr. Modi, for or against, helped drive turnout to 67 percent, the highest ever.
Even some voters who were worried about the economy or did not like the way Mr. Modi had stirred communal divisions said they still saw him as the best leader for India now.

“The scale of the win is remarkable,” said Menaka Guruswamy, a senior lawyer in India’s Supreme Court and lecturer at Columbia Law School.

But she added: “I don’t know of a word that begins to capture how deeply divided we are at this point.’’

Vaagmi

But she added: “I don’t know of a word that begins to capture how deeply divided we are at this point.’’
There is no need to worry. It is not in the blood or genes of Hindus to remain hostile to others and exhibit hatred in a sustained manner. History stands witness to this fact.

The divisiveness that has come about is due to the manipulation by interested politicians who wanted--like Adolf Hitler did in Germany before the WWII-- to sell hatred as an opiate and buy votes and fanatic following.
Hindus who were - like the sleeping tiger never had it in ther blood to hate anyone- were , for once, awakened from their deep slumber because of the excess of minorityism, Secularism and appeasement politics that these politicians played up.

An ordinary Hindu, like me, has no place in his value system for killings, burnings, rape etc., etc.,

But he has been sensitised these days to such an extent that he has started wondering whether he is being taken for granted and for a ride by all the minorities who faithfully followed the vote bank dictats.

So the Hindu for the first time woke up from his deep slumber and decided to tell the world that he cannot be taken for a ride in his own country.

And the result is what we see in this poll.

A simple word of advice will be:

No need to fear the Hindu. He will not kill and there is no divine command to do that in his scriptures. He will not demand you to convert because that again is not in his grains.

But he will certainly remind you that he is not to be treated as a fool. He knows what he is doing. It is not his weakness. It is his strength.

In a gist this is the message from this recent poll verdict:

This country is protected by natural walls of seas on three sides and a natural wall of mountain on the fourth side. In this protected continent we have been the inheritors of a culture that thrived without disruption/invasion for centuries. We do not believe in violence and we respect the right of an individual to his religious faith. For us all religions are just roads to an ultimate single truth. So we do not mind coexistence of all these roads and different people travelling them. You go your way and I go may way because our common effort is to reach the same ultimate truth.

But, being an earthling, we do bother about orderly living here. Not a chaotic competition/war and one-up manship. So don't bring here your perceptions of superior faith and need for freeing souls from so called paganism etc., If you ever do that by whatever means - social, economic, political etc.,--we will easily identify that effort and will have to tell you to shut up and go and hang. You may call it deep divisiveness. But we hindus would prefer to call it self preservation. Period.

krish44

Some live with delusions of a hindu rashtra inhabited by peace loving class with love of saffron and believing

that we were not invaded for centuries . Probably they are living in a remote south corner of india.

There is another class which is in majority in north which faced invasions from central and west asia in the past which is

militant and would confront and vote to crush other religious sects using the power of majoritarianism.

This sect would riot to assert their superiority and would if in mob indulge in violence and arson killing others

following another faith.

India has witnessed riots in 1984, again in 2002 .in a major way.

Even now there are communal incidents targeting others following a different faith on small scale during our

hindu festivals which coincide with those of another religion.

We are living in a state of undeclared truce with others following another religion.

That 's the truth which many would not like to accept.

Vaagmi

Some live with delusions of a hindu rashtra inhabited by peace loving class with love of saffron and believing
that we were not invaded for centuries . Probably they are living in a remote south corner of india.
No illusion here. Please define illusion. Is it the one which harps on a caliphate andlays down jihad as a genuine route to achieve it including perhaps Love Jihad? Is it the one which derisively calls from the highest of religious pedestal to "harvest" faithfuls from the paganic fold by money, milk powder, PL480 wheat shipments and simple discriminative admission practises in school admissions? Or is it the Social Group which has never killed, raped or converted others following a different faith? A group which never went across the oceans (they too have gone across the oceans to establish colonies) with the aim to spread the religion with a sword in one hand and a scripture in the other hand. Dear Krishji, please define what you mean.

You really do not know about the south corner of your motherland India. It is the place where people work hard to earn their living. Where people are naturally intelligent and physically strong without any assumed special status. Come to my village and it will open your eyes to a new world. And you will be relieved of your ignorance and claustrophobia acquired by living for long in -may be-Delhi.

And about the invasions. They are all in the known centuries. But this sub-continent is much older than that. And my Alwars and Nayanmars are older than the time when the aborigines of Europe, Africa, Australia and the central and western Asia knew anything about taking bath in a flowing river. Yes my land was also invaded by these aborigines who coveted the legendary wealth and well being of my ancestors in this land. and they came through the passes and the Sea. The problem with the likes of you is that they never bother to go a little farther. Try to do that. It is indeed rewarding. The world did not start with just Mohamed of Ghazni. India existed much before that.

There is another class which is in majority in north which faced invasions from central and west asia in the past which is militant and would confront and vote to crush other religious sects using the power of majoritarianism. This sect would riot to assert their superiority and would if in mob indulge in violence and arson killing others following another faith. India has witnessed riots in 1984, again in 2002 .in a major way.
For the ordinary folk meeeting violence with violence is the standard formula all over the world. In no society anywhere in the world, organised violence in the name of imaginary victimhood claims, in the name of religion, or in the name of race, color etc., is met with quietitude and forbearance. It is just natural to fight such tendencies in their terms and in language they understand. but has it lead to any noticeable wiping out of a religious or social group from the scene just as it happened in Germany (thanks to Hitler) or say in Britain (thanks to 'Bloody' Mary the Queen)? You are certainly aware that if the majority group in a country decides to have a final word and starts violence as the tool achieve it, there will be no minorities still surviving there. Look at the countries in Central and West Asia and then comeback with your answer. There is yet no majoritarian response to the minority mischief in India. I wish no such response ever comes. It will be too much to handle.

The riots in Gujarat and Delhi were an emotional RESPONSE to a provocation. I do not support such responses but in reply to your argument here, I have to say this that they were all just responses and were not provocative.

Even now there are communal incidents targeting others following a different faith on small scale during our hindu festivals which coincide with those of another religion.
Small scale or big scale they are mischief of a small section of the people and do not represent the majority religion - Hindu.

We are living in a state of undeclared truce with others following another religion.
Yes we are indulging in Love Jihad, Bombings by human bombs, mass conversions by bribing etc., and so others are in truce with us. LOL. A good cock and bull story.

You are not the sole representative of the truth speaking tribe in India. So I refuse to accept. You are far removed from reality. You are living in your own paradise with your beliefs and opinions. Be happy. But the world and time are moving and that has reflected in the latest elections. My point is just that.

KRN

The division is between those who, for vested interests, actively or passively encouraged the illegal immigration of millions of people from a not-so-friendly fundamentalist neighbouring country for several decades, and those who state that enough is enough : India is a land which has welcomed, and continues to welcome the terrorized, the persecuted refugees from other nations , but will not agree to become a safe haven for illegal immigrants or terrorists anymore.

prasad1

Some people just right for the sake of posting and display their ignorance, pose as if they know.

Hindus have killed and conquered other Hindu, non-Hindus, Rakshasas etc. History is full of it, you can even google it.

Hindus are not the only one who has done this, every group has done it, every major religion has used these tactics.

One of the most famous wars in Indian history and also one of the bloodiest battles in World history, the Kalinga War was fought between Ashoka, the great Mauryan Emperor, and the ruler of the State of Kalinga, a feudal republic located on present-day Odisha and northern parts of Andhra Pradesh.
Mahabharata war was between brothers and both sides were Hindus.

The heartland of the Cholas was the fertile valley of the Kaveri River, but they ruled a significantly larger area at the height of their power from the later half of the 9th century till the beginning of the 13th century. The whole country south of the Tungabhadra was united and held as one state for a period of three centuries and more between 907-1215 AD. Under Rajaraja Chola I and his successors Rajendra Chola I, Rajadhiraja Chola, Virarajendra Chola, and Kulothunga Chola I the dynasty became a military, economic and cultural power in South Asia and South-East Asia. The power of the new empire was proclaimed to the eastern world by the expedition to the Ganges which Rajendra Chola I undertook and by the naval raids on cities of the maritime empire of Srivijaya, as well as by the repeated embassies to China.The Chola fleet represented the zenith of ancient Indian sea power.

During the period 1010–1153, the Chola territories stretched from the islands of the Maldives in the south to as far north as the banks of the Godavari River in Andhra Pradesh.[8] Rajaraja Chola conquered peninsular South India, annexed parts of which is now Sri Lankaand occupied the islands of the Maldives. Rajendra Chola sent a victorious expedition to North India that touched the river Ganges and defeated the Pala ruler of Pataliputra, Mahipala. He also successfully invaded cities of Srivijaya of Malaysia and Indonesia. The Chola dynasty went into decline at the beginning of the 13th century with the rise of the Pandyan dynasty, which ultimately caused their downfall.
You do not get political and military power by just doing Gayatri, you have to fight, kill and annihilate opponents.

Ignorance, lies and laziness in not doing research before blabbering shows the idiocies.

Because Kings do fight and only by winning wars they expand their territory and in that process they earn wealth, power, popularity and become greats in annals of history.

Imagine a scenario, if Chandragupta Maurya would not have fought wars with neighboring kingdoms and defeated them or Samudragupta would not have waged war against any other nearby kingdoms then do you thing they would have been considered as greats? The answer is Obvious. There were tradition of war among Indian kingdoms throughout history. The great Epics of Mahabharata and Ramayana do contain acts of War.

Last edited:

prasad1

There is another class which is in majority in north which faced invasions from central and west asia in the past which is

militant and would confront and vote to crush other religious sects using the power of majoritarianism.

This sect would riot to assert their superiority and would if in mob indulge in violence and arson killing others

following another faith.

India has witnessed riots in 1984, again in 2002 .in a major way.

Even now there are communal incidents targeting others following a different faith on small scale during our

hindu festivals which coincide with those of another religion.

Krishji you have to excuse some one who has lived under a rock for centuries, they do not know.

Balacs

For the wild elephant, it's worst enemy is not the lion, tiger or any other wild beast; it is the tame elephant which is used to subdue and train it. Likewise, the liberals and the seculars are more worried about the so-called subjugation, oppression and suppression of the minorities rather than people of their own community. In places across India, where the minority is in the majority, the "minority" is being forced to evacuate what they had considered their home for decades. This is happening across Northern India and Western India and recently, most disturbingly, in Eastern India, particularly in West Bengal. I have worked in senior most positions across India and am seriously concerned about the feedback which a controlled and biased media does not report. China has taken to "re-educating" members of a certain religion which is really a very palatable word for genocide. The whole world is well aware of the problem but we choose "to put on blinkers" and convince ourselves that "all is well". I am not condoning ethnic cleansing and nothing is more valuable than a human life, but atleast we should not be apologetic for being a Hindu and standing up for our own rights. I am really glad that Mr Modi is back and regardless of everything, including the present Chennai water crisis, I certainly feel more safe and secure.

kudandhai Srini

In places across India, where the minority is in the majority, the "minority" is being forced to evacuate what they had considered their home for decades.
You are right.

What has happened in Kashmir on January 19th 1990.

26 years ago, on januaury 19th, Kashmiri Pandits had witnessed a hysteric macabre in the form of blaring threats and slogans, asking them to floee their homeland, convert or die. The became refugees in their homeland.

But, now we all know, as to what is happening today and how Rohingya are respected, rewarded and supported.

You will agree that meaning of secularism changing place to place, people to people.

Which is the party that supported the minority at Kashmir…..???

ekaputra

You have TV programs providing a common forum for representatives of different parties (DMK, AIADMK, Cong, BJP, Left) to express their views (or even abuse one another!) on various topics - generally relating to politics. It is strange to find the DMK accusing the BJP of playing the divisive "Hindu" card to secure votes - maybe the BJP did that - but then, what about the DMK - are they not being racist when they keep harping on "Dravida Mozhi, Dravida Makkal, Dravida Kalacharam, Dravida this, Dravida that" - have they not being doing this from before the time BJP was even formed? Just see for yourselves the crowd of "Pachchai Thamizhar" communities in Ranganathan Street, TNagar for Deepavali purchases to know if there is even an iota of truth in the DMK propaganda that Tamils do not celebrate Deepavali i.e. just one more way of inciting Tamils to not integrate with people across the country - is this inclusive politics?

I am no regular temple goer. It's more than 4 years since I even went into a temple - the last time it was to attend a cousin's function in Thirukadaiyur Abirami Amman temple - but having visited the temple I spent time at every shrine within the temple (I am no follower of EVR and his band). Otherwise, it's just some silent prayer whenever I pass a temple!

But, I do feel my religion is very important - to me, it is the only force that is holding the country in one piece.

But for the large Muslim population in this country, I can even be truly secular in my outlook - support fair representation for people of all faiths. But not with a sizable Muslim population - give an inch and they will demand a mile! With about a third of the country going to Muslims who formed 25% or less of undivided India, I feel we got a raw deal when Muslims were allowed to stay on. Mr Jinnah was no devout Muslim but he was ready to recognise the deep rooted/ seated hatred and enmity between the Hindu community and Muslim community. He put the welfare of his supporters before his own personal beliefs. I am no admirer of Godse, but I cannot help feeling that Mr Gandhi put his own beliefs above the welfare of the people who so blindly followed him. On a few occasions Mr Gandhi is supposed to have told his close associates that just as Raja Harishchandra never swerved from truth, he would never swerve from Ahimsa and other principles he valued. But, there is a difference - only the family of Raja Harishchandra had to suffer all the hardship for his steadfastness.

I do not support these "Gau Rakshaks" or forcing people of other faiths to say "Jai Shree Ram". Still, I do want a Hindu conscious Government but progressive and catching up with other developed countries.

I hope Modi 2.0 will not let down the people who have blindly (or not so blindly) supported them! People in my social circle ridiculed the promotion of toilets. To me it is an important step in restoring the self esteem of people who have been slaves for about 1000 years and almost reconciled to leading sub human existence.

I am happy to see the BJP back - I hope it is a more mature and sensible Government this time!

Last edited:

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media

Latest posts