• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Naamam to Srirangam Elephant

Status
Not open for further replies.
My TK colleague, during employment, in the office once said that popular Perumal Temples - Srirangam, Srivilliputhur, Thirupathi, Parathasarathy - are TK temples.

I am not sure whether he is correct or not.

The "Kalai" infighting has been there and I am told that historically, whenever the temple management passed hands from people belonging to one "kalai" to the other, all the naamams right from the idol in the sanctum sanctorum, to the auspicious signs depicted at the entrances, even the naamams in the vessels, pooja utensils and temple animals like the elephant, used to be changed.

It is quite possible that like in the case of some other vaishnavite temples, a truce has been reached and the naamams are changed every six months. Knowledgeable members like shri Vaagmi, smt. JR, shri. sarang, etc., may be able to tell.

For non-vaishnavites like myself, the naamam does not matter and we visit the temple just as we will visit a siva temple also.

Naamam to Srirangam Elephant : I come to know there existed some dispute over the Naamam - which NAAMAM --- VADAKALAI or THENKALAI is to be put on the fore head of the Srirangam - temple Elephant. Now what Naamam the elephant wears ? Whether correct one ?

Is there a correct Namam for an elephant?

Its we humans who try to impose religious signs and symbols on animals..totally not considering the rights of the animal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back