• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Musings on the Fundamentals of Hinduism

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Silverfox,

Thank you for raising a pertinent question.

You said, “The way I understand it that you take several births before you become a human.” By this statement if you were to even remotely suggest that a human birth is a sort of evolution then I have to say that such contention is not correct. The theory of evolution is based on the concept of ‘struggle for existence and survival of the fittest’. What determines in this concept is the environment. The environment becomes a sort of filter for the survival of the species. What evolves is not an individual but a group (species) for example they say that the human race evolved from the monkey race.

In contrast the concept of reincarnation is based not on the compulsions of environment but on the basis of one’s own karma. Again it is the reincarnation of an INDIVIDUAL not a group.

The evolution theory suggests that there is a constant change of a group of living organism to something ‘better’ in terms of survival for example they say that in the beginning there was the simple amoeba that in course of millions of years transformed into a complex human.

The theory ‘Karma and Reincarnation’ on the other hand talks of the Aathma or the Self that remains changeless no matter how times have changed and how the environment got altered. Your own self is Anaadhi or beginningless! Sri Krishna Bhagavan says in Bhagavat Gita (2:20) “Na jaayathe mriyathe vaa kadhaachinnaayam bhoothvaa bhavithaa vaa na bhooyaha| Ajo nithyaha saasvathoyam puraano na hanyathe hanyamaane sareere||” meaning “This Self is never born; It never dies either. Coming into being and ceasing to be does not take place in it. (I.e. this Self is not a phenomenal existence that has birth, life and death). Unborn, eternal, everlasting this ancient One is not slain when the body is slain.”

We all perform karmas that are good and bad and they yield fruits of karma however some of the fruits mature quickly while some take time to mature yielding to other kharmaphalas to materialize. Thus there are three types of karmas: a) Sanchitha Karma, b) Praarabhda karma and c) Aagami Karma. Sanchitha karma is the fruit of many karmas that are in store in seed form that are yet to mature. Sanchi literally means a bag. This means you could enjoy it in your future births and it could the next birth or it could be some ten or hundred births later.

Praarabdha karma refers to those karmas that have matured causing this current birth to you. Aagami karma refers to the karmas that you are performing in this birth and they would mature in your future births. The commonality between Sanchitha Karma and Aagami karma is that the fruits mature in future births. The difference is that Sanchitha karma refers to karmas of past births while the Agami karma refers to the karmas of current birth.

So from the above it is easy to infer that a person could have been human, animal, plant and so on innumerable number of times in other words a man might be reborn as an animal by the sheer force of his karma. Let’s consider an example.

A fellow dropped atom bombs on Hiroshima and Nakasaki depriving so many souls of their bodies. If you are God you might ask him to restore what he deprived others of their bodies. Now we all know that the body is made of food (Annamaya Kosa). So this fellow has to be born as a corn plant or rice plant millions of times to perform the restitution which is feeding the body. From this the inference would be that his Sanchitha Karma contains innumerable seeds of Thaamasic bodies such as plants and perhaps a few good seeds that would bring him bodies such as that of an animal or even a human after he had exhausted having been born as plants.

I hope you have understood the fact that a person does not exhaust all karmas of past lives in one life but in many lives as the proportional weight of each of past karmas would dictate. Also in line of this argument the future life/lives would not only depend on what you do in this life but also what you did in the past which karmas you have not exhausted by enjoying or suffering.

Also it is wrong to infer that an animal or plant or even an inert thing such as a rock could not get release. You must have heard of ‘Ahalya Saabavimochanam’. Ahalya remained a rock by a hasty curse of her husband who doubted her chastity. Actually Ahalya was also a Gnani and she was enjoying the Bliss of Brahman even while remaining a rock. The rock as a conditioning got removed by the touch of Sri Rama.

Bhagavan Ramana clearly says in his conversation with Sri Devaraja Mudaliar, "It is not true that birth as a man is necessarily the highest, and that one must attain realisation only from being a man. Even an animal can attain Self-realisation.” Actually Bhagavan Ramana himself gave moksham to not only humans but also animals such as a cow, a dog and a crow. Their samaadhis are there in Ramanasramam!

With Narayana Smrithi,
Anbu

Dear Shri Anbu:
Thank you so much for beautifully explaining the karmas and reincarnation. When I asked the question I did not have evolution in mind; however, you answered that question also if someone were to raise it!

I am still not clear how an animal can attain self-realization. In order to that, doesn't an animal need to have a thinking mind and to dwell on things to attain self-realization?
I would very much like to visit Shri Ramana Ashram and offer my prayers to Swami Ramana Maharishi. Where is this place?
I will be visiting India in October.
Thank you.

Last edited:
Dear Silverfox,

I am glad I was of help to you.

Aathma is all pervading. In fact there is only Aathma and nothing else. Brahma Sathyam Jagan Mithya is the ancient adage. Brahman or Aathma is the only Reality, the world is just an illusion. The fundamental nature of Oneself is his/her/its being. This is Sathyam which comes from the word Sat or existence. Whether it is human, animal, plant or even inert object we have to admit that there is an inherent right to be its real Self viz. Aathma. If this right is not there then there is no meaning for attainment of Moksha. Actually this is a fundamental difference between the western religions on the one hand and Hinduism on the other. In the western religions of Judaism, Christianity and Islam the deliverance is not inherent but at the mercy of (their) God. Calvin said that the man is essentially wicked and he has no right to demand heaven. According to him it is upto God to redeem him. This is their concept of being at the mercy of God. In their religious beliefs most people go to hell. Given this idea do you think man is wicked or God is wicked? I am sure you would exclaim, thank God we are Hindus!

Of course Hindus also say that without the Grace of God there is no Moksha but the Grace of God is unconditional. Bhagavan Ramana said "The Grace is always there like a huge ocean of mercy. It is upto you to take it and if you decide to take it even then it is upto you to take it in a spoon or in a bucket."! As Bhagavan Ramana has said that the human Janma is not necessarily the highest. We have the intellect that is double edged; it can surrender to God or it can challenge God. Therefore blessed are those who have no mind!

Ramanasramam is in a place called Thiruvannamalai and it is about 120 miles away from Chennai. There is a website about Bhagavan Ramana and the Aashramam called http://www.ramana-maharshi.org/.

With Narayanasmrithi,
Anbu

AUM

NOTES ON THE NINTH MUSING (I)

We talked of the body in detail in the Ninth Musing. Needless to say that a body is a body only so long as a Chaithanyam (sentient being) occupies it as otherwise it will be an inert or dead body that would quickly disintegrate and would not qualify to be called a body. Since we have different bodies/organs, the Chaithanyam that occupies and directs each such body/organ has a name. Given below is the list of bodies and the name of the Lord who occupies it with remarks in brackets.

BODY----------------------------------------------------- GOD------------(REMARKS)

Macrocosmic Causal Body called Mulaprakrthi – The lord is Easwara - (Deep Sleep State)
Microcosmic Causal Body – The lord is Jiva (Pragnya)—(Deep Sleep State)
Macrocosmic Subtle Body – The lord is Hiranyagarbha - (Dream State)
Microcosmic Subtle Body – The lord is Thaijasa – (Dream State)
Macrocosmic Gross body – The lord is Vaiswanara – (Waking State)
Microcosmic Gross body – The lord is Viswa – (Waking State)
Subtle space (Sukshma Akasa) – The lord is Brahma – (Tanmaathra )
Air – The lord is Vayu – (Tanmaathra )
Fire – The lord is Agni - (Tanmaathra)
Water – The lord is Varuna - (Tanmaathra )
Earth – The lord is Prithvi - (Tanmaathra)
Organ of hearing (Srothra) – The lord is Dhik - (Corresponds to space)
Organ of touch (Sparsa) – The lord is Vayu - ( Corresponds to air)
Organ of sight (Chakshus) – The lord is Surya (Corresponds to fire)
Organ of taste (Jihva) – The lord is Varuna - (Corresponds to water)
Organ of smell (Grana) – The lord is Asvinidevas - (Corresponds to earth)
Mind (Manas ) – The lord is Chandra - (Seated in the neck)
Intellect (Buddhi) – The lord is Brahman - (Seated in the face)
Ego (Ahamkara) – The lord is Rudhra - (Seated in the heart)
Memory (Chittha) – The lord is Vishnu - (Seated in the navel)
Power of Speech (Vaak) – The lord is Agni - (Organ of action)
Handling (Baahu) – The lord is Indra - (Organ of action)
Locomotion (Paadha) – The lord is Upendra - (Organ of action)
Excretion (Paayu) – The lord is Yama - (Organ of action)
Reproduction (Upastha) – The lord is Prajapathi - (Organ of action)
Praana – The lord is Visishta - (Motive Power)
Apana – The lord is Viswarashta - (Motive Power)
Vyana – The lord is Viswayoni - (Motive Power)
Udhana – The lord is Aja - (Motive Power)
Samana – The lord is Jaya - (Motive Power)
Power of vomiting – The lord is Naga - (Upaprana)
Power to open and close eyes, lips – The lord is Kurma - (Upaprana)
Power that causes hunger – The lord is Krkara - (Upaprana)
Power of Yawning – The lord is Devadatta - (Upaprana)
Power that fattens the body – The lord is Dhananjaya - (Upaprana)

Sri Gurubyo Namaha

Aum

NOTES ON THE NINTH MUSING (II)

The body is called Deha. DahyatE iti Dehaha. Because it burns it is called Deha. We talked of three bodies in each of us. We know that the gross body (sthula sariram) is burnt but how can we be sure that the subtle body (sukshma sariram) and causal body (kaarana sariram) can also burn?

Agni or fire has the characteristic called heat which in Sanskrit is called Tapa. The Tapa in terms of Deha is a suffering. There are three kinds of Tapa known as Thapathraya that are hotter than fire and they are called Adhyaathmika, Adhibouthika and Adidaivika.

Personal pain and sufferings caused by hunger, thirst, food poisoning, bad habits, unbridled passion, jealousy, anger, hatred, envy, ill-will, restlessness, desire, unfulfilled desire, frustration, disappointment etc. comes under Adhyaathmika. Sufferings due to illness caused by virus, bacterias or sufferings caused by creatures big and small come under Adhibouthika. Suffering caused by things beyond man's control such as flood, drought, war, pestilence etc. comes under Adhidaivika.

The body is subject to the Thrigunas called Sathwam, Rajas and Thamas as nothing is exempt from the play of Gunas. The body is also subjected to three states of being called Avastaathraya and they are waking, dream and deep sleep.

It was explained before that the world was evolved by Easwara’s manifestion from Akasa, to Vayu, to Agni to Aapa to prithvi to vegetation, to food and from food to the body. This theory of evolution (which is quite different from the rationalists’ view of evolution) is called Krama Srishti. Easwara's projection and dissolution of this world and the bodies are explained like that of a spider that weaves its web out of itself and then takes it back. This Krama Srishti is also known as Srishti-Drishti Vaada. There is an alternate view of creation and dissolution called Yugapat Srishti or Dhrishti-Srishti Vaada. In this view the world is projected when a person wakes up from deep sleep and gets dissolved when he goes back to deep sleep. (See the Second Musing).

I have thus far cogently explained the Hindu view of the world which forms the first part of my musings and wish to name this part as ‘CREATION’. There is one more Musing under this heading ‘Creation’ dealing a little more elaborately on the theory of Karma as this is one of the fundamental pillars of Hindu faith.

Sri Gurubyo Namaha

Last edited:
S007Bala sir, We Indians always beliving a Foreigner who said is correct, but those foreigners smuggled our Vadas and other scriptures then made their findings. Every one in this world can listen sound, colours, Light . This is explained in Tirumantheram.Once you start to do meditation you can attain this. I also read this article and nothing new.

Maybe esarkey.But look at it this way.Instead of blaming foreigners,we ought to blame ourselves isn't it?Foreigner's means mlechas,who will try to smuggle things out of your country.It maybe anything of value.:)

sb

P.S.Anybody who is not Indian Citizen,is technically a foreigner :)

Last edited:
Fundamentally Medhu Vadas instead of Masala Vada...slurp.Nobody can beat our Tamil Brahmin cuisine,especially vegetarian kind.Hindus rock.

sb

Sri Anbuji,Itis quiet intersing, Musings, in simple word Once all athmas were sleeping in the light of ocean(Paramathma).When the god created this universe he made Hils, waterfalls,rivers,snow,trees,but not the humans,one day he decided to start a drama called Life, then he asked the tiny sleepy athmas to go the world to took part inthe drama,but the tinys refused to do so, then god promised them, when time comes he will call back them and Marked the Souls.The Athmas came down while seeing this beutiful earth and forgetthere home and joined with Kal (MAYA) and happy about the worldly things is permenenet,lives with sufferings.We should seeGod,with our own inner eye and hear His Voice, with our inner ear, We should penetrate the dark veil'within' and behold His glory. "Shamas Tabriz. quotes."How did we came to this present state of existence?" "Whither shall we go". Creation, Dissolution and Re-creation, All is done by Shabd, Quotes Guru Nanak. O Hafiz! The Highest spiritual heaven is ancestral Home. S.R.K.

srk

Nanak was born in village Talavandi near Lahore (now in Pakistan known as Nankana Sahib) in undivided Punjab of Khatri (Kshatriya) parents. They were farmers and Nanak's father Kalu was the village accountant. Mother's name was Tripta. Nanak attended the village school and learnt his native language Punjabi, Hindi, and Persian and three 'R's. He started composing verses at a very young age and it is told that he composed lines on the day of his Upanayana ceremony which runs like:
"Cotton is kindness.
Contentment is the thread truth is the twisted length.
The knot represents constraint.
This twisted thread was consecrated in the tire if self .
This thread knows no destruction."

http://www.kamat.com/indica/faiths/bhakti/nanak.htm

Guru Nanak Devji infused Hinduism & Islam,to give the world a new religion called Sikhism,with Khalsa Panth as foundation.Ten Gurus established this religion.

sb

Last edited:
Dear all TBs,
It may sound very odd to you as it has no relevancy regarding the topic under the discussion of this thread. But I am very curious to know how you assess the social ranking in terms of caste identify of a north-east Indian Mongoloid boy and if that boy wants to marry a TB girl, whether he will be socially allowed by you or not. If not, why? Is it due to that he belongs to a different race?
Please, this is just a curiosity and nothing else and should be treated accordingly.

Regards,

re

Dear all TBs,
It may sound very odd to you as it has no relevancy regarding the topic under the discussion of this thread. But I am very curious to know how you assess the social ranking in terms of caste identify of a north-east Indian Mongoloid boy and if that boy wants to marry a TB girl, whether he will be socially allowed by you or not. If not, why? Is it due to that he belongs to a different race?
Please, this is just a curiosity and nothing else and should be treated accordingly.

Regards,

Tamil Brahmins give a damn about who marries whom.Its a personalised issue.I myself married a Kannada Brahmin,yet got the blessings of my dear achaaryals.Apart from language,we have more common culture than any difference.Of course living in USA has made life easier for mixed couples marriages like mine.I simply dont see any resistance from community as a community we are welcoming one and all.

sb

Dear s007bala:

I got a kick out of reading your statement "mixed couples marriages"!! So you married a Kanna Brahmin! And you call that 'mixed marriage'? Do you call marriages between Brahmins as 'mixed' even though the language is different?
Take it easy! I was just joshing ... no offence intended!!

Tamil Brahmins give a damn about who marries whom.Its a personalised issue.I myself married a Kannada Brahmin,yet got the blessings of my dear achaaryals.Apart from language,we have more common culture than any difference.Of course living in USA has made life easier for mixed couples marriages like mine.I simply dont see any resistance from community as a community we are welcoming one and all.
sb

Dear Anbu, Your very long post, mere waste of time and space. The God(Anami) ocean of light ,First he created the universe with water,Hills,Valleys, waterfalls,oceans etc,after that he asked the tiney Athmas to go to the world.Then each athma get a dress as Human,Animal,Fish, Trees etc according their will.The scriptures written only to understand beter way to Re unite with God.In Hibru the word called Realiya become in English as Religion and we all fight with each other under the name of Religion,but the meaning is unite with the Supreme being is the ultimate Goal. SRK.

re

Dear Anbu, Your very long post, mere waste of time and space. The God(Anami) ocean of light ,First he created the universe with water,Hills,Valleys, waterfalls,oceans etc,after that he asked the tiney Athmas to go to the world.Then each athma get a dress as Human,Animal,Fish, Trees etc according their will.The scriptures written only to understand beter way to Re unite with God.In Hibru the word called Realiya become in English as Religion and we all fight with each other under the name of Religion,but the meaning is unite with the Supreme being is the ultimate Goal. SRK.

srk

How did god create ocean of light?Universe with water?Hills?Valleys?Waterfalls?How did god ask tiny atmas to go to world?How each atma got a dress?......above all how god looks like?I know the answere about god,but just want to know how your good self,will explain how - the phenomenon of god.Thanks.

sb

Dear s007bala:

I got a kick out of reading your statement "mixed couples marriages"!! So you married a Kanna Brahmin! And you call that 'mixed marriage'? Do you call marriages between Brahmins as 'mixed' even though the language is different?
Take it easy! I was just joshing ... no offence intended!!
:becky:... heh heh...

but yet, it is generally considered as outside their sect and hence the meaning of the literal "mixed" should be understood in that context...

I am curious to know where you got this material from...?

:tea:Dear SSjiand S007Bji, sure I will post more details about God and his creation. This material available in all our scriptures. Only the socalled intellectuals and highly respectes Discoursers explaind to their intel brilliancy, which we all accepted all this days, but enyone started a search in God Realization will able to unederstand the TRUE meaning of the scriptures. For nearly 33 years my search of GURU and I was just upset by the happened to in every Ashrames. In the year 2002 I have landed in a Path called SURTH SHBAD YOGA and under stood what I want and Identfy my GURU. From then my search starts with my No Rebirth theory and reading of all type of Religious books shown the on thing that GOD with in you.The real search should be based on the GOD relaization and not ask any thing from him, but for worldly and sensual pleasures we all going to worshiping places and offer something and put a list of requirements before him, and says this Bakthi or prayer,The GOD Created the world from Sound,this well explaind in BiBle,Quran,and All our Scriptures.Vedaths were sound curent and which is inthe Sky and Our Great Reshies found those sounds and given us as Vedas.So to understand God the way as Meditation and listin verious Sounds in meditation. The sounds will take the athma to the Higher regions and merge with GOD.After that no birth and Death cycle. S.R.K.

srk

>> From then my search starts with my No Rebirth theory and reading of all type of Religious books shown the on thing that GOD with in you.<<

Plz correct me if i am wrong.From the above i understand,that,there is no re-birth or re-incarnation,once you realise the god within you,is the same outside of you,as we all live within god(hiranyagarbha).

sb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back