• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

More men among toilet-sceptics in India RUKMINI S

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Extensive new evidence shows that building toilets alone will not eliminate open defecation in India as not everyone who has access to toilet, especially men, believe that it’s important to use it.

Not having a toilet remains the major problem in sanitation: 60 per cent of rural households and just under 10 per cent of urban households in India do not have access to a toilet, according to new official data from the 68th round of the National Sample Survey (NSS) data. But even among households with access to toilets, some open defecation exists. According to NSS data, two per cent of rural households with access to toilets do not use them. However, researchers Diane Coffey, Aashish Gupta et al of the Research Institute for Compassionate Economics (RICE) found that 7 per cent of households with access to a toilet were not using them. When they looked at households where at least one family member was not using the toilet, the number swelled to 18 per cent.

This number is being driven up by men, who, in all three surveys, reported lower toilet use than women.

“I built the toilet for my youngest daughter-in-law not to feel shame. But I go to the fields – it’s much healthier going there,” Ramavatar, a marginal farmer in Uttar Pradesh’s Fatehpur district, told The Hindu earlier this summer. Such “personal preference” is overwhelmingly the most common reason for not using toilets despite access seen in both NSS and RICE data.
More men among toilet-sceptics in India - The Hindu

All this toilet business is fine.

I hope this govt will have something to talk about other than toilets this year.

Modi might be everything except is not plain lucky.

Monsoons had to fail only this year...poor guy.

his hope is low oil prices, lower prices abroad to enable import of essential pulses , onions, veg oils and articles for domestic consumption from neighbouring countries to

check domestic prices and short fall.

infrastrucure bottlenecks in movement of coal and over vigilant courts is crippling power plants of basic inputs.

it is not a pleasant scenario for a person selling dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back