• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Modi Government Score Card for the last 4.3 years

a-TB

The extent of Modi hate is directly proportional to how much a person lost his black money during demonetization.

prasad1

The extent of Modi hate is directly proportional to how much a person lost his black money during demonetization.

I know your position on Modi.

But no black money was recovered during demonetization.

As much as 99.3 per cent of the junked Rs 500 and Rs 1,000 notes have returned to the banking system, the RBI said today, indicating that just a miniscule percentage of currency was left out of the system after the government's unprecedented note ban aimed at curbing black money and corruption.

The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), which has taken an awfully long time to count the currency that was returned in the limited period window provided by the government to exchange or deposit the de ..

Read more at:
//economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/65589904.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

"Demonetization was a total failure," said Mohan Guruswamy, chairman of the Centre for Policy Alternatives in New Delhi and a former adviser to the Ministry of Finance. "We could have been on a higher growth trajectory if demonetization had not happened. It was a colossal blunder and there will be political consequences."

The cash ban cut India's GDP growth rate by 1.5 percentage points, translating to a loss of 2.25 trillion rupees a year, Chidambaram said. More than 100 lives were lost in the panic to exchange old notes for new ones, millions of daily-wage earners lost their livelihood for several weeks, thousands of small and medium enterprises were shut down and many jobs were destroyed, he said via Twitter.

prasad1

Black money was a powerful poll setting agenda in 2014 that aided the Modi wave to push the Bharatiya Janata Party-led National Democratic Alliance to power. Four years later, the countdown has begun for the 2019 Lok Sabha elections and black money is likely to be a key issue for both the BJP and Opposition.

"I give an assurance to my countrymen that when we will form a government in Delhi, we will create a task force and if necessary will amend the laws...We will bring back each and every penny deposited abroad by Indian citizens," Narendra Modi, as a prime ministerial candidate, had said in February 2014 during his Chai Pe Charcha campaign.

News agency PTI had further quoted him as saying that whatever black money is brought in, five to ten per cent of it would be given as a gift to the salaried class who earned fixed income and honestly paid taxes.

https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/4-years-of-modi-govt-fight-against-black-money-explained-in-7-points-1242398-2018-05-26

I do not know any honest person who even got 1 paisa from this government.

prasad1

n his four years as prime minister, Narendra Modi has taken many big-ticket decisions including demonetisation and surgical strikes against Pakistan.
Today, the Narendra Modi government will enter the election year. The prime minister and BJP president Amit Shah have said on several occasions that they will present the report card of their government during the 2019 Lok Sabha elections and leave it to the people to judge its performance.

In preparing to face the challenges of the prime ministership, Modi laid out several promises during his campaign. Now that he has completed four years in 7, Lok Kalyan Marg (formerly known as 7, Race Course Road), we can evaluate: How did he perform on keeping his promises.
However, here are 10 major promises which the ruling BJP has failed to fulfil in four years.
1. JOBS
2. PRICE RISE

The BJP-led NDA government has failed to control the prices of petroleum products as well. The country is reeling under highest ever petrol and diesel prices.
Besides the petroleum products, the prices of other commodities are also hovering on the higher side.

3. BASIC NECESSITIES

Under the sub-head 'Building India', the BJP manifesto mentioned that its government would ensure shelter equipped with electricity, water, toilets and access to everybody. However, this is far from the reality in most parts of the country.

4. BULLET TRAIN

5. BLACK MONEY

The BJP leaders had promised to bring back black money stashed in overseas banks. However, this remains a promise

6. WOMEN

The manifesto said the government was committed to 33 per cent reservation in parliamentary and state assemblies through a constitutional amendment.
The Women's Reservation Bill was passed by the Rajya Sabha in March 2010 when the Congress-led UPA government was in power. The Bill is pending in the Lok Sabha.

7. AGRICULTURE
Among other promises, the manifesto talked about ensuring a minimum of 50 per cent profits over the cost of production for the farmers, reforming Agriculture Produce Market Committee (APMC) Act 2003, implementing farm insurance and adopting a 'National Land Use Policy'.8. LOKPAL
Despite the passage of four years, the Modi government has not appointed a Lokpal. The issue seems to have been sidelined.

Because the LOKPAL will pull up Modi administration.

9. ADMINISTRATIVE REFORMS

10. EMOTIVE ISSUES
The Modi government's performance on fulfilling some issues related to the ideology of the BJP and its parent organisation - the RSS - may not be up to the mark.
The manifesto promised implementation of Uniform Civil Code to protect "culture and heritage... by drawing upon the best traditions and harmonising them with the modern times". However, it is far from being implemented.

https://www.indiatoday.in/4-years-of-modi-government/story/after-4-years-here-are-the-promises-modi-govt-could-not-keep-1242120-2018-05-26

Last edited:

mkrishna100

[FONT=&quot]This is from a Farmer during the Farmers Rally

“I haven’t seen such a pathetic and anti farmer government in life.Prime Minister lies so much. People will hesitate to say truth with such confidence with which PM lies. Such a lousy person shouldn’t be the Prime Minister.”[/FONT]

a-TB

Getting beyond cartoons and emotions to facts and discussions

I came across a blog with metrics about demonetization.

Here we have the usual people trash demonetization as the cause of ills of Indian people. In particular there is a one dimensional response that all the black money is now back in circulation and that all the effort to demonetize was just to cause immense suffering.

Well I came across this write up from a whatsapp post and I found the original reference. Here it is. If someone wants to rebut with facts & metrics what is written and provide analysis (beyond just emotions) I would welcome the opportunity to educate myself. If you just want to rant about bhakts then have fun

The website is this
https://www.opindia.com/2018/12/modi-government-impact-of-demonetised-currency-returning-to-banks-on-indias-economy/

Here is a cut and paste of part of the article

In November 2016, Prime Minister Modi announced the withdrawal of two high-value currency denominations from circulation with immediate effect. Some social media economists and mainstream journalists had speculated that a large chunk of unaccounted cash may not return to the banks, thus resulting in a windfall for the government.When most demonetised currency returned to the banks, questions were raised on the success of demonetisation itself. However, evaluating demonetisation’s success on this basis alone would be jumping the gun.In December 2016, Tim Worstall in his article in Forbes had argued that –
[FONT=Karma !important]The only practicable method of retaining the value of those old notes was to deposit them into the banking system.[/FONT]
[FONT=Karma !important]However, we should also note that those same amounts of cash which have been deposited are now inside the reporting system for tax. And undoubtedly there will be some decent portion of those deposits which were formerly black money and which now will be righteously taxed.

[/FONT]

In other words, a chunk of currency not returning to banks would have ensured a large but one-time dividend to the government. On the other hand, most money returning to banks would ensure sustained benefits in tax revenue spread over the long term.Two years later now in December 2018, data on tax revenue has confirmed this hypothesis, as detailed below.[h=2]Expansion of Taxpayers base[/h]
  • Per published data, the number of Income Tax returns have zoomed by 57% since demonetisation
    • IT returns filed in FY14 were 3.79 crore
    • IT returns filed in FY16 was 4.36 crore, implying that growth over 2 years period before demonetisation was 15%
    • IT returns filed in FY18 was 6.84 crores, implying that growth over 2 years period after demonetisation was significantly higher at 57%
  • Number of High Net Worth individuals, declaring income above Rs 1 crore, has surged by 68% since demonetisation
    • Filers with 1 crore+ declared income in AY15 were 48,416
    • Filers with 1 crore+ declared income in AY18 were 81,344 (up by 68%)
    • Filers with 1 crore+ income, added in 69 years before demonetisation were 48,416
    • New filers with 1 crore+ income, added in just 2 years after demonetisation were 32,928
[h=2]A surge in Direct Tax collections[/h]
  • The direct tax growth rate has soared to a 7 year high of 17%
    • FY15 – 8.9%
    • FY16 – 6.9%
    • FY17 – 14.6% (noticeable jump in growth rate after demonetisation)
    • FY18 – 17.1%
  • Direct tax buoyancy has more than tripled after demonetisation and touched 1.9
    • FY16 – 0.6
    • FY17 – 1.3
    • FY18 – 1.9
    • from FY08 to FY16, direct tax buoyancy had hovered between 0.5 and 1.1
Source: Financial Express
  • Higher tax buoyancy after FY16 indicates increasing tax compliance
    • At Tax buoyancy of 0.5, an 8% increase in GDP results in (0.5 * 8) only 4% increase in tax revenue for government
    • At Tax buoyancy of 2.0, an 8% increase in GDP results in (2.0 * 8) 16% increase in tax revenue for government
    • Hence, with the same economic growth, the government can now expect a much higher tax collection year after year to spend on healthcare, education and infrastructure development
[h=2]Exponential growth in Digital Payments:[/h]Lack of cash during demonetisation provided the necessary impetus to bring behaviour change in consumers adopting digital payments. As per the data published by National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI):
  • UPI (India’s homegrown payment system) based digital payments in India have grown exponentially since 2016
    • the number of transactions:
      Aug 2016 – 93,000
      Nov 2018 – 52.5 crore (up by 5,645 times)
    • value of transactions:
      Aug 2016 – 3.1 crore
      Nov 2018 – 82,000 crore (up by 26,451 times)
Source: India Brand Equity Foundation
  • Morgan Stanley has reported that digital payments are up almost three times, from 2.5% of GDP to 7% of GDP
  • The proportion of cash transactions in total consumer spending has reduced by 10% (from 78% in 2015 to 68% in 2017) as reported by the head of payments practice for the Asia Pacific at Boston Consulting Group
  • The exponential rise of digital payments in India received global attention and was covered extensively in Forbes, International Business Times, livemint, Entrepreneur, Financial Express, Bloomberg and other business publications
[h=2]Deposited amounts are traceable to source and are under scrutiny[/h]
  • During demonetisation, deposits were made in about 1 crore bank accounts
  • Just 1.5% of these accounts (about 1.5 lakh accounts) hold more than two-thirds (Rs. 10 lakh crore) value of deposits with an average deposit of Rs. 3.31 crore in each account
Data Source: Time of India
  • So far, 18 lakh accounts where deposits do not match known sources of income have been discovered. Tax notices have been sent to them and recoveries are expected from many
  • The outcome and status of government scrutiny are accessible on the government portal for Operation Clean Money. Few prominent Success Stories of such tax recoveries and detailed reports are accessible on the portal
  • Many companies who deposited large cash amounts were later found to exist only on paper. Many such companies have not come forward to claim those deposits due to fear of legal action. Per MoneyControl, such unclaimed deposits amount to Rs. 37,500 crore as of now
It must be understood that since demonetisation in November 2016, only one tax cycle has been completed so far.
  • Demonetisation – November 2016
  • End of Fin Year – March 2017
  • Next End of Fin year – March 2018
  • Tax filing deadline – August 2018
Individuals who deposited large amounts during demonetisation would be cross-checked for their tax filing in AY18 and subsequent future years. Hence, the benefits of demonetisation need to be evaluated over a long-term into future.The pre-mature clamour based on single dimensional criteria of “all the money came back to banks” is meaningless by itself.
[FONT=Karma !important]

[/FONT]

prasad1

[FONT=q_serif]My introduction to opIndia. It was interesting to see that instead of writing the reporter or journalist name they used “opIndia staff”, well because putting a name needs a person and/with accountability. If it’s fake news they would avoid that.(red flag 1)
[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]You don’t need a genius to see the bias and misreporting. They will go over the top to name and shame minority, specially Muslims. many times they do it subtly by mentioning the names as below. (red flag 2)
[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]36 sexually assaulted students rescued from Pune Madrasa, Maulana arrested[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]Rapist Sameer Khan arrested after minor victim's mother laid plan to trap him[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]Haryana: Pregnant goat dies after being gangraped by eight men, Haroon and Jaffar amongst accused[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]
Indian society is already divided on multiple level and then such kind of hate filled pseudonews are plain immoral. Other topics of their interest are Congress in negative light, Modi in positive light, Barkha Dutt etc. etc.[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]All in all it seems an orgy of biased opinions laced with news lingerie.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]
However I went to their “about me” page and it was clear that they are all BJP sympathizer, to help they provided their twitter handles which anyone can check.(red flag 3)[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]
When I searched about opIndia on google, instead of wikipedia link, I found dharampedia link which basically repeats what their about me page says. Looks like good SEO work has been done. (red flag 4)[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]
I feel we all have a habit of believing things which we see as news. We do not have time to analyze and if the news suits our ideology we are willing to believe it. The trend should stop, we are playing in hands of people who are desperate to fool us in believing their web of lies.[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]They play with your psychology. How do you stop a kid from going out and play, you tell them fake news and misinformation about child kidnapper on loose and horrific things they do with kids.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]you got the idea.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]
Having said that, i don’t have an issue if anyone believes in opIndia or whatever channel of information. I am only concerned about my vote and not interested in changing opinions of others. I feel it’s silly and hilarious to attach your sentiments and emotions with any political party or politicians for that matter.

https://www.quora.com/Should-I-Trust-Opindia-com

In short, they are equivalent of Fox News of the USA, for India.[/FONT]

Last edited:

prasad1

[FONT=q_serif]MYTH 1: Demonetization brought more taxpayer.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]
Truth:
Nothing unexpected. The rise in taxpayer can’t be attributed to demonetization.[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]
Explanation:
[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]Tax buoyancy[1] gives you a rough idea about tax revenue wrt GDP growth.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]Economic commentator Rupa Subramanya writes that there is no abnormal growth in tax buoyancy[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]During 2006–07,2007–08,2012–13 and 2013–14 the tax buoyancy was more than or almost equal to present tax buoyancy[2] .[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]This was achieved without any disruption to the economy.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]
Source: Rupa Subramanya on Twitter[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]Now, let us the see the effect on GDP[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]From 7.3% GDP growth in 30/11/2016 we went down to 5.7% GDP growth in 31/08/2017. We took a 1.6% GDP loss just within 9 month post-demonetization.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]
We then took almost 3 quarter to regain what we lost.

[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]There are various articles and materials accessible through internet that can explain you why demonetization was a disaster. So, I’m not delving into it.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]My purpose was to debunk the myths that are being propagated to promote the political ideologies.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]There is no harm in projecting facts and figures but it should be related. We can’t just put anything to prove causal relationship between two events.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif] https://www.quora.com/99-3-demonetised-notes-came-back-concedes-Reserve-Bank-of-India-Does-this-mean-that-Modis-demonetisation-did-nothing-for-India[/FONT]

Last edited:

prasad1

[FONT=q_serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]And for cashless economy the govt. did not have to get 168 civilians killed, cost the country 1.5m jobs[2].Demonetisation led to highest fake currency. There has been an increase in fake 50,100 bills. Black money is still in the economy and other made up objectives weren’t met either. Demonetisation cost us:[/FONT]

• 1.5 million jobs
  • 2.25 lakh crores
  • 168 civilians
  • fall in GDP growth and much more
[FONT=q_serif]The digital payment is reducing. Are the same number of stores still using PayTM? Are terrorists still not getting funds?[5] None of the changes were permanent. The small improvements weren’t worth that high cost.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]The increase tax collection that BJP boasts about, wasn’t a result of Demonetisation. That increase was a usual trend, that India has been following. Here is the graph and here is the article.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]A lot of BJP supporters and ministers link even a slight positive change with demonetisation - India won a test match against England 2 weeks post demonetisation. Let’s praise Modi’s fiasco for that too.[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]And see Ache Din are there for one person at least:[/FONT]
[FONT=q_serif]

[/FONT]

[FONT=q_serif]To BJP supporters: Please stop defending demonetisation, it was a failure. Even govt. doesn’t talk about it now. It wasn’t mentioned in the no-confidence motion speech, and independence day speech.

https://www.quora.com/99-3-demonetised-notes-came-back-concedes-Reserve-Bank-of-India-Does-this-mean-that-Modis-demonetisation-did-nothing-for-India[/FONT]

Last edited:

a-TB

Quara postings are largely personal opinions.

Opindia may be a biased organization but one must take the reported stats and show that they are fallacies.

What I see is that progress is real but claim is that it is not attributed to demonetization.

My point is to show that there is more to the analysis than a single metric. All the stated points are not effectively rebutted.

Follow Tamil Brahmins on Social Media