• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Miracles by the Blind & Oldest Organ Donation

Status
Not open for further replies.
krishna+surdas.jpg

Picture shows Lord Krishna listening to the blind poet Surdas

Miracles by the Blind & Oldest Organ Donation

God is great. When he shuts one organ he gives more powers to other organs. Hindu scriptures are full of miracle stories by the blind. It gives details about the earliest organ donations as well. The most popular story of eye donation is of a hunter belonging to the scheduled tribe.

Dhinnan was a hunter in Tamil Nadu. One day he went to hunt wild boars. One of the boars was a dodgy animal. It took all his time and energy. When he finished the hunt it was already dark. Next day he was attracted towards a holy place like a magnet attracts iron. It was a Shiva temple. When he went there he wanted to do the ritual bathing of the Lord. But he was an illiterate and knew nothing about scriptures. So he did the worship in his own way in the temple where a proper priest was also doing Puja (worship) every day. Dhinnan offered meat pieces to the Lord. When the trained priest saw this next morning he was angry. But he had a dream in the night that he should watch a great devotee next day morning from a hidden place. He did that and saw Dhinnan spitting a mouth full of water on the statue to do Abhishek (ritual bathing) and offered flowers plucked out from his hair. He threw some meat pieces to the Lord.

Lord Shiva wanted to test Dhinnan’s devotion so that the properly trained priest also can see it from his hiding place. Suddenly blood started bleeding from one of the eyes of the Lord. Worried Dhinnan plucked out his eye and applied it to the Lord. When the second eye also started bleeding heavily, Dhinnan plucked out his second eye and applied it to Lord Shiva. Immediately God appeared before him and gave him the name Kan Appan (meaning one who applied eye). He regained his vision in both the eyes by the grace of Lord Shiva. Kannappan (Dhinnan) lived in the fifth century.

KannappaNayanar.jpg

Picture shows Kannappa Nayanar placing his foot on Shiva to mark the place for placing the second eye.

Jeevaka’s Eye Operation

There is a similar story that happened in Northern India one thousand years before Kannappan. Jeevakan was a great physician cum surgeon in the days of Buddha. He lived in the Maghada (Bihar) empire during Bimbisaran’s rule(603-551 BC). One of the kings who ruled the north western part of India was Sibi. A blind Brahmin approached him asked for eye donation. The Brahmin asked him because the king had already earned the reputation of a big philanthropist donating any thing you ask for. The king sent a word for Jeevaka and he came and removed both the eyes of the king and fixed them to the Brahmin. This is recorded in the Buddhist chronicles. Both these stories show that the organ donation was in vogue in those days. Big surgeons did eye operations and other surgeries easily.
( I have already explained in my post. Look at the bottom for link)

Story of Upamanyu
Upamanyu was a young student of Vyagrapatha. In those days, students have to live with the teacher (Guru in Sanskrit) for at least 12 years to learn the Hindu scriptures. It is like a residential school. One day Guru asked Upamanyu to take 50 cows for grazing. When he went back to Guru’s house in the night with the cows he was refused dinner for no reason. The kitchen staff told him, ‘It is Guru’s order’. Even after a week, he was hale and healthy doing the same task of cow herding. When the Guru asked him the secret of his good health, he told him he got the food by begging. Guru ordered him to bring all the food to his house. A week passed. Still he was energetic. When the Guru asked the secret of his good health, he told him the cows give him the milk after they fed their young calves. Guru ordered him not to drink the milk any more. He did it as per Guru’s order but drank the milk from the plants. He became blind because it contained poison. He fell in to a disused well on his way home. Guru’s party searched him and ultimately found him in the well. When he was asked to recite the Vedic Mantra on Aswini Dewas, they gave him the eye sight. But he refused to accept it without Guru’s permission. Guru felt very happy about his devotion and loyalty and brought water from the heavenly Soma River and poured it on his eyes. His vision was restored. Thus goes the story in Hindu Mythology. In the ancient India, Gurus gave practical lessons according to the Upanishads. It was more than what a chemistry or physics student can learn in the labs of modern day universities.

Lord Vishnu’s Eye Donation
Thiruvvizimizalai is a small town in Tamil Nadu with a Shiva temple. The resident god is called Nethra Arpaneswarar meaning Eye Donation God. Lord Vishnu was praying here to Shiva to obtain the Sudarsana wheel. It is like Boomerang and will come back to Vishnu after every attack. Vishnu did offer worship with 1000 lotus flowers every day. One day he fell short of one flower. Without any hesitation, he gave his one eye to Lord Shiva. Eye is a synonymous word with lotus in Indian literature. All these stories prove organ donation, Organ transplant and advanced surgery existed in those days. This temple is pretty old and existed at least 1300 years ago.

Miracle by Two Handicapped Tamil Poets
There were two Tamil poets by name Ilam surya and Mudu surya (meaning Junior Sun, Senior Sun). One of them was blind and the other was lame. The lame carried the blind on his shoulder and travelled from one town to another singing the glory of the Lord. When they went to Thiru Amathur in Tamil Nadu they composed some verses and arranged to launch the book at the temple. There was a mistake in the verses rightly pointed out by a scholar in the crowd. The poets sung that the temple is on the western side of the river Pampa. Actually it was on the eastern bank of the river. The crowd teased them saying both of them were not blind! At that time the rain started heavily and the crowd dispersed. In the night the river changed its course due to heavy rain in the hills. When they assembled next day to continue the launching event, they need not correct the verses. The river was running like they sang the previous day!!

Sundarar regained vision

One of the great Four Saivaite saints,Sundarar, lost vision in one eye and went to Tiruvarur. He begged to Shiva to give him the vision back. He sang a decad there. Immediately he regained his vision in the right eye.
Tamil Reference:
மீளா அடிமை உமக்கே ஆளாய்ப் பிறரை வேண்டாதே
மூளாத் தீப்போலுள்ளெ கனன்று முகத்தால் மிக வாடி…………

Nayana Deeksha (Passing power through eyes)
Hindu goddesses have names with eye: Meenakshi, Kamakshi, Visalakshi, Neelayathakshi, Rudrakshi, Indrakshi etc. It shows that the goddesses always favoured them through their eyes. It is called Nayana Deeksha. A Guru or a god can pass miraculous powers to a devotee just by looking at him or her. Nayana, Akshi are Sanskrit words for eye.
We have got a number of stories about miracles of blind poets like Surdas. We will look at them separately.

Read my previous posts:
1.How did a Pandya King get a Golden Hand?
2.Miracles by the Deaf and Dumb
3.Time Travel by Two Tamil Saints
4.Did Agastya drink the ocean?
5. Great Engineers of Ancient India
6.Amazing Powers of the Human Mind
There are 15 more posts on Miracles by men and animals.

Jeevaka’s Eye Operation

There is a similar story that happened in Northern India one thousand years before Kannappan. Jeevakan was a great physician cum surgeon in the days of Buddha. He lived in the Maghada (Bihar) empire during Bimbisaran’s rule(603-551 BC). One of the kings who ruled the north western part of India was Sibi. A blind Brahmin approached him asked for eye donation. The Brahmin asked him because the king had already earned the reputation of a big philanthropist donating any thing you ask for. The king sent a word for Jeevaka and he came and removed both the eyes of the king and fixed them to the Brahmin. This is recorded in the Buddhist chronicles. Both these stories show that the organ donation was in vogue in those days. Big surgeons did eye operations and other surgeries easily.
( I have already explained in my post. Look at the bottom for link)

Dear Sir,

I find the Brahmin in this story really selfish.He thought only of himself and did not think about the King and the kingdom.
Didn't he have any compassion that he made the King blind just becos he wanted to have sight?
Won't guilt conscious 'kill' him on daily basis?

A King needs to be sighted to rule well..BTW why couldn't the Brahmin just ask for 1 eye instead of 2 eyes from the King if he really wanted his sight back?

After all even now..in corneal transplant the blind person is only given 1 cornea and not 2.

So I wonder why such stories only highlight the greatness of the King and does not highlight the selfishness of the Brahmin.

The King could have used his discretion and gave one eye..so that the Brahmin can gain eye sight and the King also has one eye to oversee the Kingdom.

The Brahmin should have known better that by making the King donate both his eyes he had deprived the Kingdom of a capable ruler and make the Kingdom prone to enemy attack.

I wonder if the story has some follow up like the Brahmin was actually some Deva in disguised who had come to test the King and then give him back his eye sight?? I wonder??

Last edited:
Dear Renuka

I appreciate your sympathy for the king. I appreciate that you highlight the selfish attitude of the Brahmin.
But even in Sangam Tamil period we see King Athiyaman donating the rare black gooseberry (Amalaka in Skt and Karu Nelli in Tamil. I have already written a post 'Alberuni,Avvaiyar, Athiyaman and the Rare gooseberry') to Avvaiyar for the benefit of humanity.

We see Indra and Agni coming in the form of eagle and dove to Sibi to demand his flesh.

In the all powerful Soviet Union any one raising a finger against the communist regime was made to 'disappear' in those days. But Shakarov, the father of Russian Nuclear Science, was spared and was allowed to migrate. In short, people with great knowledge were treated differently from laymen like me.Probably this was the reason the Brahmin asked for eye donation and the king also honoured it. We did not have much details about that Brahmin. I also did not have a chance to read the original.

In the Mahabharata we see Krishna sending Indra to get the protective life shield of Karna the great, in the guise of a Brahmin. It may look mean if you look at it separately. USA killed millions by Atom Bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Innocents were killed. But for the sake of humanity, America had to do it!?!?! We are made to believe it by our history books! Didn't we have parallels in Russia and USA?

Dear Renuka

We see Indra and Agni coming in the form of eagle and dove to Sibi to demand his flesh.

Dear Sir,

King Sibi has interfered in the food chain cos he also could not deprive the eagle of its share of food in the form of the dove.

Just like when we see a lion hunting a deer..we can't feel pity for the deer that it was killed by the lion cos that is the Dharma of the lion to hunt and kill to survive.
Becos the lion too needs to eat to survive.

So King Sibi was obliged to replace the dove with his flesh.

But that was not the case in the Brahmin asking the King for eye donation.

The King was obliged to give what is asked..but not everything asked can be given.

Just say if someone comes asking for the King to "donate" his queen ..I am sure the head of the person asking for the queen will roll!

So I still feel the King could have asked the physician to check the cause of blindness in the Brahmin and if needed may be only one eye need to be given so that both the King and the Brahmin have their eye sight.

After all the Brahmin would have asked for "sight" and even with one eye..a person can see.

That's why I feel the Brahmin should have thought about the King's plight too and the King should have used his discretion and donate only one eye so that he can still rule his kingdom as per the Dharmic requirements of a King and at the same time satisfy the need of eyesight of the Brahmin.

The King should have had a royal physician who could have advised him only one eye donation!

Renuka,Your guess seems to be correct. That Brahmin was none other than Indra (probaly he tested as that eagle too!). Actually, after the dove eincident, Sibi was proud or happy about himself and said to himself 'I was generous to give anything but only my eyes!' That stealer Indra overheard that. He disguised as a brahmin with both eyes blind but asked for only one eye. Sibi asked his physician to donate an eye. Sivaka pulled out from the socket, like a pitch of a palm. Seeing the brahman overjoyed, Sibi donated the other one too! But, he didnt experience any grief, as he did that with insight. Indra, granted sibi with two eyes of best perception, that can see hundred leagues clearly!

Last edited:
Hi
I would like to point out one more thing in this context.
Read the Periyapuranam.
You will see lot of violent acts including cutting the hair of wife or killing a son or separation from wife etc.
just to please Siva. But all ends well. So instead of taking literal meaning we have to go to the moral of the story.

Hi
I would like to point out one more thing in this context.
Read the Periyapuranam.
You will see lot of violent acts including cutting the hair of wife or killing a son or separation from wife etc.
just to please Siva. But all ends well. So instead of taking literal meaning we have to go to the moral of the story.

That's why its called a Puranam..Puranams are fables made to scare people into behaving well.
BTW most Puranams are gender biased..you will never see in any Purana where a husband is ill treated/killed to please God.

Why there are no stories where a guest comes to the house and demands to eat the flesh of the husband?
You can never find such stories!LOL

Dear Renuka
Regarding Peria Puranam, one clarification.
Though we have the word Puranam, Saivaites take is as Ithihasa (history).
But once you believe the first part (violence etc.), you must believe the second part of the story (miracle) as well.
Beautiful and faithful English translations are available.
Swami Sivananda of Rishiskesh and Alastair McGlashan are good translations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back