• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Meaning of the word Sri Vishnu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

11210417_974258642618592_6162934171819112451_n.jpg

Ever since i took up writing about Divya Desam Temples, I come across many articles about Sri Maha Vishnu; Even an invitation from one of my friend to take me to Thirupathi!!
Wish to share with one such meaningful article which i came across.

At the lotus feet of Sri Maha Vishnu

Sri Maha Vishnu and Visnhu Murthy are used to describe the Lord. While they both essentially convey the same inner meaning – there is a slight difference.

Sri Vishnu, as described in Nirukta (Vedic dictionary), means ‘that which has spread everywhere’. ‘Veshti vyapnoti iti Vishnu’ – ‘that which has permeated everything and everywhere’. This indicates the quintessential meaning of God – that he is omnipresent and formless. He is the fabric on which universe comes into being and dissolves gradually without any change in the fabric – god!

God is indeed formless and everywhere. Being abstract, this fact is nearly impossible for us to absorb and bring god into our daily lives. Hence, the attribute-less god takes form from time to time to show the way to those who strive to reach the divine (Dharma Samsthapanaya…). When this formless god takes form – he is Vishnu Murthy (Murthy = form). Since the nature of this all-pervading divine energy is merciful and acts for the benefit of all – it is also called ‘Siva’!!

By understanding the Tattva behind a name and image – one can overcome the narrow boundaries of form and attributes and the petty fights that often emerge out of it.

All discussions that this god is greater than that god disappear when one firmly establishes this idea in mind that Divinity is essentially one and takes various forms.

In our scriptures, all those demons who want to harm Vishnu couldn't understand this real nature and hence kept searching for a ‘form’ even though He is everywhere. Hence, they usually trouble the most important expressions of Vishnu – Cows, Sages and Yagnas. Improper action towards any of these three will invite disciplinary action from Sri maha Vishnu in the form of Vishnu Murthy. Hence we have Dasavataras to punish the wicked, protect the good and reestablish Dharma!

Source: Jigyasa

Last edited:

11210417_974258642618592_6162934171819112451_n.jpg

Ever since i took up writing about Divya Desam Temples, I come across many articles about Sri Maha Vishnu; Even an invitation from one of my friend to take me to Thirupathi!!
Wish to share with one such meaningful article which i came across.

At the lotus feet of Sri Maha Vishnu

Sri Maha Vishnu and Visnhu Murthy are used to describe the Lord. While they both essentially convey the same inner meaning – there is a slight difference.

Sri Vishnu, as described in Nirukta (Vedic dictionary), means ‘that which has spread everywhere’. ‘Veshti vyapnoti iti Vishnu’ – ‘that which has permeated everything and everywhere’. This indicates the quintessential meaning of God – that he is omnipresent and formless. He is the fabric on which universe comes into being and dissolves gradually without any change in the fabric – god!

God is indeed formless and everywhere. Being abstract, this fact is nearly impossible for us to absorb and bring god into our daily lives. Hence, the attribute-less god takes form from time to time to show the way to those who strive to reach the divine (Dharma Samsthapanaya…). When this formless god takes form – he is Vishnu Murthy (Murthy = form). Since the nature of this all-pervading divine energy is merciful and acts for the benefit of all – it is also called ‘Siva’!!

By understanding the Tattva behind a name and image – one can overcome the narrow boundaries of form and attributes and the petty fights that often emerge out of it.

All discussions that this god is greater than that god disappear when one firmly establishes this idea in mind that Divinity is essentially one and takes various forms.

In our scriptures, all those demons who want to harm Vishnu couldn't understand this real nature and hence kept searching for a ‘form’ even though He is everywhere. Hence, they usually trouble the most important expressions of Vishnu – Cows, Sages and Yagnas. Improper action towards any of these three will invite disciplinary action from Sri maha Vishnu in the form of Vishnu Murthy. Hence we have Dasavataras to punish the wicked, protect the good and reestablish Dharma!

Source: Jigyasa

A very nice article and very informative. Thanks Mr PJ
Not sure if the significance detailed in the article is embraced by people who worship only God Vishnu

A very nice article and very informative. Thanks Mr PJ
Not sure if the significance detailed in the article is embraced by people who worship only God Vishnu

You are right Sri TB Sir; even in our Forum this is evident.

Thanks for your comment.

Vishnu literally means One Who Pervades, a reference in ancient Vedic texts to a relatively minor deity who is considered to be the rays of the sun. The deity of form is Tamil, called Azhagar, the handsome one, Arangamannar, King of the World, or simply Nambi, the leader. He is said to be everywhere because of his unending concern for others, a value having historic significance in both theistic and atheistic Tamil beliefs. He is found in a home, a Kovil (where the King resides) and hence we an interact with him there.

At some point in history, nobody quite knows when, the Tamil Maal became identified with the Sanskrit Krishna and later Mahavishnu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back