• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Meaning for the song Nannu brova nee (Abhogi raagam) - Thiyagaraja kirtanai

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

Im looking for the meaning of the song Nannu brova nee (Abhogi).

Stumbled upon this site on looking. Not sure if there is a seperate thread for this. Please help me with the link if so.

The lyrics are as follows:

pallavi

nannu brOva nIkinta tAmasamA nApai nEramEmi balkumA

anupallavi

cinnanADe nI celimi galga kOri cintimpa lEdA shrI rAma

caraNam
nijadAsa varulagu tammulatO nIvu bAga buTTagalEdA
gaja rAja rakSaka
tanayulanu kani pencalEdA tyAgarAjanuta

Thanks!

Gist

O SrI rAma! O saviour of gajEndra! O Lord Praised by this tyAgarAja!

This much delay for you in protecting me? Tell me, what fault is there on me.

Desiring development of Your attachment, did I not contemplate even in my childhood?

Were you not gloriously born with your younger brothers who are Your true and great devotees or servants? Did you not bear and rear (your) sons?

Word-by-word Meaning

P This much (inta) delay (tAmasamA) for you (nIku) (nIkinta) in protecting (brova) me (nannu)? Tell me (palkumA), what (Emi) fault

(nEramu) (nEramEmi) is there on me (nApai).

A O SrI rAma! Desiring (kOri) development (kalga) of Your (nI) attachment (celimi) (literally friendship), did I not (lEdA) contemplate

(cintimpa) (literally think) even in my childhood (cinna nADE)?

C Were you (nIvu) not (lEdA) gloriously (bAga) born (puTTaga) with your younger brothers (tammulatO) who are (agu) Your true (nija)

and great (varulu) (varulagu) devotees or servants (dAsa)?

O saviour (rakshaka) of gajEndra – the King (rAja) of elephants (gaja)! O Lord Praised (nuta) by this tyAgarAja! Did you not (lEdA) bear

(kani) and rear (penca) (your) sons (tanayulanu)?

Notes –

Variations -

1 – dAsa varulagu – dAsa varulaku : if 'dAsa varulaku' is correct, then it will be translated as 'were You not gloriously born with your

brothers for the sake of true and great devotees?'.

Just went thro' your introduction, Hamsa! Glad to note you are from Coimbatore.

My sister Mrs. Visalakshi Ramani and I were born and brought up in Cbe district.

Mrs. V R, the most active member in this forum lives in Coimbatore! :)

Oh thats nice to know you are from CBE. Im new to this forum. This was my first msg. Just getting acquainted. Nice to read the meaning and sing the song. Recently also learnt Enna thavam Yesoda - i rather enjoy singing that song. Its relishing!

......... Nice to read the meaning and sing the song. Recently also learnt Enna thavam Yesoda - i rather enjoy singing that song. Its relishing!
Music is my passion too! I am teaching Carnatic music to kutties and mAmis in SingArach Chennai. It keeps my mind young and

fresh!
One of my favorite songs is 'Enna thavam seythanai' and I follow 'Lalgudi school'. My first Guru was my grand father and

later Sangeetha Kalanidhi Dr. S. Ramanathan. :)

Oh wow.. Mam, Im really sorry for addressing u by your name in my previous post. I guess this is a habitual behaviour of IT people. Great! I am honored to get in touch with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back