• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

mahalaya paksha tarpanam

I am forced to proceed to US shortly. Can knowledgable persons advise me how to perform Mahalaya paksha tarpanam ( which comes in Sep'19 ) at home. I propose to do the needful at home and give vazhakai, arisi, dakshina to the local priest there, as it is very very costly to do the tarpanam using a vadyar there. When I come back i will do necessary prayaschittam with the help of my local vadyar. Any alternate proposals from anyone is welcome. Thanks

you may do in 16th to 26trh october krishna paksham on any one day- mahalaya paksham tharpanam in india. maha periva says there is no use of doing this outside INDIA. no prayaschitham is necessary.

I am forced to proceed to US shortly. Can knowledgable persons advise me how to perform Mahalaya paksha tarpanam ( which comes in Sep'19 ) at home. I propose to do the needful at home and give vazhakai, arisi, dakshina to the local priest there, as it is very very costly to do the tarpanam using a vadyar there. When I come back i will do necessary prayaschittam with the help of my local vadyar. Any alternate proposals from anyone is welcome. Thanks

I have made a video which is available on Youtube , which you can follow. This is meant for Smarthas and you can play this and follow the instructions. I am editing one for vaishnavas.

I follow this video without the presence of a vadhyar and have been performing tharpamnam for my father and mother for all the days so far ; monthly thithi, dakshinayanam, grahanam etc in Chennai. After the tharpanam go to a nearby temple and give nominal and affordable dakshina with betel leaf, betelnut and banana to a brahmin.
for details of sankalpam specifics, use the following site: substitute first part of bhartah varshe etc suitably for usa. (see ramana blog)

use this site
https://ramanan50.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/sankalpa-details-for-uk-cities/
https://www.ahobilamutt.org/us/services/sankalpam/sankalpam.asp

I have made a video which is available on Youtube , which you can follow. This is meant for Smarthas and you can play this and follow the instructions. I am editing one for vaishnavas.

I follow this video without the presence of a vadhyar and have been performing tharpamnam for my father and mother for all the days so far ; monthly thithi, dakshinayanam, grahanam etc in Chennai. After the tharpanam go to a nearby temple and give nominal and affordable dakshina with betel leaf, betelnut and banana to a brahmin.
for details of sankalpam specifics, use the following site: substitute first part of bhartah varshe etc suitably for usa. (see ramana blog)

use this site
https://ramanan50.wordpress.com/2016/06/13/sankalpa-details-for-uk-cities/
https://www.ahobilamutt.org/us/services/sankalpam/sankalpam.asp
very nice presentation. i donot know tamil. but could follow it well. any explaination about the order of pindapradanan on mahalaya paksham. whichside father and others, whichside mother and herside, whichside others

mahalaya paksham tharpanam in india. maha periva says there is no use of doing this outside INDIA.

Generally I do not like to respond. But by saying the above, we deliberately push our youngsters from doing their karma and they desperately, accept it and suffer mentally, if they are sincere. Hence written this. No offence or disrespect meant to Mr K.Gopalan.
I disagree with this, since MahaPeriyava himself said that “ச்ரத்தையுடன் செய்வது ச்ராத்தம் என்றாலும், ச்ரத்தை இல்லாமல் கூட. ஒரு வேளை தீட்டு, ஞாபக மறதி போன்ற காரணங்களினால் உரிய தேதியில் செய்ய முடியாமல் போய்விட்டால், அன்று உபவாசமிருந்து மறுநாள் ச்ராத்தம் செய்யலாம். கர்த்தா ஸ்ரார்த்தத்தையே மறந்துவிட்டு இருந்தால் கூட, அவருக்கு ஞாபகம் வந்தவுடன் அடுத்து வரக்கூடிய க்ருஷ்ண பக்ஷ அஷ்டமி, ஏகாதசி, அம்மாவாசை, இதில் ஏதாவது ஒரு திதியில் செய்ய வேண்டும். “ப்ராஜாபத்ய க்ருச்ரம்” செய்து ஆரம்பிக்க வேண்டும். ஒருவேளை ச்ராத்தம் செய்பவருக்கு உடல் நலம் குன்றியோ, அல்லது தள்ளாமையோ வந்தால், பிறரை விட்டு (மகனாக இருந்தாலும் தோஷமில்லை) ஹோமம் செய்து ஸ்ரார்த்தத்தை நடத்தலாம். ஸ்ரார்த்தத்தை நம் விருப்பத்திற்குத் தள்ளிப் போடக் கூடாது ……..நன்றி தெய்வத்தின் குரல்
Mahalaya paksham is another sraththam like and hence needs all the courtesy it deserves.
If Mr Ravi has the willingness to follow and do it with "sradhdhai" let him do it anywhere he stays. If we do not have "sradhdhai" even if we do it in India (the so called "Karma Boomi",) it will be of no use.
Due to time, we are forced to go for jobs and places. But I still feel that it is entirely our own choice to remain as Brahmin, (but for a few hours when we go to office from morning 8.00 AM to evening 7.00) Rest of the time no one stopped us from doing what we are supposed to do as a Brahmin which includes Nithyanyshtanam and tharppanam and like. Even food can also be "sathvik". I have seen Muslim doing their prayers even while travelling, in office (they are given special permission to do it). If a muslim can do nhamas, 5 times a day irrespective of place, time and anything else, why not we? We do not have the willingness to follow our traditions.
Mr Ravi - Please do where ever you are since it is said that "sradhdhai" is more important in doing these activities, irrespective of where you do it. of late USA and other places are more "Karma Boomi" than India, since I can see people in USA, do believe and do karmas sincerely. The even practice Vedham. The only difference is that there is no smartha (Iyer) sambradhaayam since progithars are vaishanavites. But the Smartha tradition is aligned with Advaitha vedantha and hence it is of no issue.
Please follow information from Mr Kopalan or the one given by Mr Ramchandar
For full details of panchangam you can refer this link and select the place and date , https://www.prokerala.com/astrology/tamil-panchangam/
in sangalpam if in USA say the following
krouncha dweepE, ramaNaka varshE , Aindra kaNdE, prasaantha saagarE, pushkara kshEthrE, raakkee- mickelnee parvathyO, Madhya pradEsEe,missipi- Missouri ithyaadhi anEka shOdasa jeeva nadheenaam, sameepa sthitha,”

If you do not know the details about your kaarunika pithrus, simply say as follows and do tharpanam 3 times each.

"udheerathaam+haveshu
Thath thath gothraanam thath thath sarmanaha vasu vasu rupoonam pithruvya mathulaatheen vargadwayaa vasistaan sarvaan kaarunya pithrun swadha namas tharpayami.
angeeraso na pithro+syaama
Thath thath gothran thath thath sarmanaha vasu vasu swaroopan pithruvya maathulaatheen vargadwaya vasistan sarvaan kaarunya pithrun swadha namas tharpayaami.
aayanthunaha +vasman
Thath thath gothraan thath thath sarmanaha vasu vasu swaroopan pithruvya maathulaatheen vargadwaya vasistaan sarvaan kaarunya pithrun swadha namas tharpayami.
Gyaatha agyaatha vargathdwaya pithrun/karunya pithrun cha swadha namas tharpayaami (3 times) OOrjam vahantheehi amrutham grutham payaha keelaalam parishrutham svathaastha tharpayatha may pithrun thrupyatha,thrupyatha,thrupyathaha.

But please do tharpanam with out fail irrespective of the place where you are
spr

very nice presentation. i donot know tamil. but could follow it well. any explaination about the order of pindapradanan on mahalaya paksham. whichside father and others, whichside mother and herside, whichside others
I think you are mixing sraardham and tharpanam. In sraardham you invoke the presence of Pithrus by inviting them and serving them food because primarily food is what keeps pithrus satisfied and happy. According to Pithrumedha sagaram, any srardha with bhojanam completes the feeding.

In tharpanam, it is entirely for the benefit of more spiritual and material gains through blessings .So you get blessings of the pithrus by tharpanam irrespective of the place where pithru stay or where you stay. So you can perform thrpanam wherever you but change the samkalpam suitably.

The tharpan offerings til (black seasame known as gingely) and Jal (water) reach them. They stay in the mantra roopa "hitham, swathaa nama: tharppayami" and no where it is mentioned where they live or stay put .
The anwser for your question is that there is no pinda pradhanam for tharpanam. so it is just "till" or gingely.

mahalaya paksham tharpanam in india. maha periva says there is no use of doing this outside INDIA.
I think you are mixing sraardham and tharpanam. In sraardham you invoke the presence of Pithrus by inviting them and serving them food because primarily food is what keeps pithrus satisfied and happy. It can still be done anywhere else as you are saying in your sankalpam where you are and pithrus will reach there for pinda pradhanam.

In tharpanam, it is entirely for the benefit of more spiritual and material gains through blessings .So you get blessings of the pithrus by tharpanam irrespective of the place where pithru stay or where you stay. So you can perform tharpanam wherever you are but change the sankalpam suitably.

The tharpanam offerings are still til (black seasame known as gingely) and Jal (water) and they reach them. is is simple to do compared to Sraardham and there is no need for a vadhyar if u know the steps and processes. They stay in the mantra roopa "hitham, swathaa nama: tharppayami" and no where it is mentioned where they live or stay put .

Generally I do not like to respond. But by saying the above, we deliberately push our youngsters from doing their karma and they desperately, accept it and suffer mentally, if they are sincere. Hence written this. No offence or disrespect meant to Mr K.Gopalan.
I disagree with this, since MahaPeriyava himself said that “ச்ரத்தையுடன் செய்வது ச்ராத்தம் என்றாலும், ச்ரத்தை இல்லாமல் கூட. ஒரு வேளை தீட்டு, ஞாபக மறதி போன்ற காரணங்களினால் உரிய தேதியில் செய்ய முடியாமல் போய்விட்டால், அன்று உபவாசமிருந்து மறுநாள் ச்ராத்தம் செய்யலாம். கர்த்தா ஸ்ரார்த்தத்தையே மறந்துவிட்டு இருந்தால் கூட, அவருக்கு ஞாபகம் வந்தவுடன் அடுத்து வரக்கூடிய க்ருஷ்ண பக்ஷ அஷ்டமி, ஏகாதசி, அம்மாவாசை, இதில் ஏதாவது ஒரு திதியில் செய்ய வேண்டும். “ப்ராஜாபத்ய க்ருச்ரம்” செய்து ஆரம்பிக்க வேண்டும். ஒருவேளை ச்ராத்தம் செய்பவருக்கு உடல் நலம் குன்றியோ, அல்லது தள்ளாமையோ வந்தால், பிறரை விட்டு (மகனாக இருந்தாலும் தோஷமில்லை) ஹோமம் செய்து ஸ்ரார்த்தத்தை நடத்தலாம். ஸ்ரார்த்தத்தை நம் விருப்பத்திற்குத் தள்ளிப் போடக் கூடாது ……..நன்றி தெய்வத்தின் குரல்
Mahalaya paksham is another sraththam like and hence needs all the courtesy it deserves.
If Mr Ravi has the willingness to follow and do it with "sradhdhai" let him do it anywhere he stays. If we do not have "sradhdhai" even if we do it in India (the so called "Karma Boomi",) it will be of no use.
Due to time, we are forced to go for jobs and places. But I still feel that it is entirely our own choice to remain as Brahmin, (but for a few hours when we go to office from morning 8.00 AM to evening 7.00) Rest of the time no one stopped us from doing what we are supposed to do as a Brahmin which includes Nithyanyshtanam and tharppanam and like. Even food can also be "sathvik". I have seen Muslim doing their prayers even while travelling, in office (they are given special permission to do it). If a muslim can do nhamas, 5 times a day irrespective of place, time and anything else, why not we? We do not have the willingness to follow our traditions.
Mr Ravi - Please do where ever you are since it is said that "sradhdhai" is more important in doing these activities, irrespective of where you do it. of late USA and other places are more "Karma Boomi" than India, since I can see people in USA, do believe and do karmas sincerely. The even practice Vedham. The only difference is that there is no smartha (Iyer) sambradhaayam since progithars are vaishanavites. But the Smartha tradition is aligned with Advaitha vedantha and hence it is of no issue.
Please follow information from Mr Kopalan or the one given by Mr Ramchandar
For full details of panchangam you can refer this link and select the place and date , https://www.prokerala.com/astrology/tamil-panchangam/
in sangalpam if in USA say the following
krouncha dweepE, ramaNaka varshE , Aindra kaNdE, prasaantha saagarE, pushkara kshEthrE, raakkee- mickelnee parvathyO, Madhya pradEsEe,missipi- Missouri ithyaadhi anEka shOdasa jeeva nadheenaam, sameepa sthitha,”

If you do not know the details about your kaarunika pithrus, simply say as follows and do tharpanam 3 times each.

"udheerathaam+haveshu
Thath thath gothraanam thath thath sarmanaha vasu vasu rupoonam pithruvya mathulaatheen vargadwayaa vasistaan sarvaan kaarunya pithrun swadha namas tharpayami.
angeeraso na pithro+syaama
Thath thath gothran thath thath sarmanaha vasu vasu swaroopan pithruvya maathulaatheen vargadwaya vasistan sarvaan kaarunya pithrun swadha namas tharpayaami.
aayanthunaha +vasman
Thath thath gothraan thath thath sarmanaha vasu vasu swaroopan pithruvya maathulaatheen vargadwaya vasistaan sarvaan kaarunya pithrun swadha namas tharpayami.
Gyaatha agyaatha vargathdwaya pithrun/karunya pithrun cha swadha namas tharpayaami (3 times) OOrjam vahantheehi amrutham grutham payaha keelaalam parishrutham svathaastha tharpayatha may pithrun thrupyatha,thrupyatha,thrupyathaha.

But please do tharpanam with out fail irrespective of the place where you are
spr
While prokeralam gives "what" to do please follow ramana blog which explains how the Kandams and Dwipams are segregated based on ancient maps and locations. I believe we should understand thorrougjhly the philosophy behind the sankalpams and manthrams.

for my father Sraaththam is on Purattasi masam Prathamai after Pournami. This as per Panchangam 14th October 2019. Mahalaya Paksha Hiranya sraatham as per routine for the last 20~22 years every year after my father's Sraatham used to perform as my father Sraaththam comes in Mahala Paksham days. This year Mahalaya paksham is coming before . Please suggest me the day for doing Mahalaya paksham, whether Prathamai September 14 can be done or any days like Maha Bharani, Madhyashtami day can also be selected prior to doing Annual Sraaththam of Purattasi Krishna baksha Prathamai. ( Day following the Pournami in Purattasi)
Please guide me. Thanks

Latest ads

Back