• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

List of Brahmin communities in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not sure if Kamat's definition of Brahmin will be accepted by orthodoxy...Bhumihars are land owning class of Bihar..They too have thread ceremony...But are they Brahmins...I guess no..Let the various communities have their unique features, traits and traditions..You can combine them under common umbrella of Hinduism but not in terms of caste!

A List of Brahmin Communities

Compiled by Vikas Kamat
Page Last Updated: January 15, 2016
The following is a list of Brahmin communities of India. It is documented here for anthropological research purposes. Where available, links to related pictures and topics on the particular community are provided. Please suggest additions/corrections to
warn.gif
Some patrons have complained that I have listed some communities (example: Daivajna or Bhumihar) as Brahmins whereas rest of the society doesn't regard them as Brahmins. I have followed a simple rule: If someone thought and behaved like they are Brahmins, then they are!
List of Brahmin Communities

(in alphabetical order)

• Adi Goud Ahiwasi Brahmins
  • Anavil Brahmins
  • Ashtasahasram Iyers
  • Aravttokkalu Brahmins
  • Audichya Brahmins
  • Babburkamme Smartha Brahmins
  • Badagnadu Smartha Brahmins
  • Barendra Brahmins of Bengal
  • Basotra Brahmins
  • Beyal Brahmins
  • Bhargava Brahmins of Bundelkhand and Madhya Pradesh
  • Bhumihar Brahmins
  • Bral Brahmins
  • Brahatcharanam Iyers
  • Brahmabhat Brahmins
  • Daivajna Brahmins
  • Deshastha Brahmins
  • Devrukhe Brahmins of Konkan region in Maharashtra
  • Dhima Brahmins
  • Dravida Brahmins (originally from Tamilandu, migrated to parts of Godavari and Srikakulam in Andhra Pradesh)
  • Embranthiri Brahmins of Kerala
  • Gaur Brahmins
  • Gouda Saraswat Brahmins
  • Gurukkal or Shivacharya Brahmins
  • Halenadu Karnataka Brahmins, also known as Muguru Karnataka Brahmins
  • Havyaka Brahmins
  • Hebbar Iyengars
  • Hoysala Karnataka Brahmins
  • Jangid Brahmins
  • Jijhotia Brahmins
  • Kandavara Brahmins
  • Kanyakubj or Kanaujia Brahmins
  • Karhada or Karade Brahmins of Karhad region of Maharashtra
  • Kashmiri Saraswats or Kashmiri Pundits
  • Kayastha Brahmins
  • Kerala Iyers
  • Khajuria or Dogra Brahmins of Jammu
  • Khandelwal Brahmins
  • Khedawal Brahmins
  • Konkanastha or Chitpavan Brahmins
  • Konkani Saraswat Brahmins
  • Kota Brahmins
  • Koteshwara Brahmins
  • Kudaldeshkar Brahmins
  • Madras Iyengars
  • Madhwa Brahmins
  • Maithil Brahmins

• Malwi Brahmins
  • Mandyam Iyengars
  • Modh Brahmins
  • Mohyal Brahmins
  • Muluknadu Brahmins
  • Nagar Brahmins
  • Namboothiri Brahmins
  • Nandimukh or Nandwana Brahmins of Gujarat and Rajasthan area.
  • Naramdeo or Narmdiya Brahmins
  • Nepali Brahmins
  • Niyogi Brahmins
  • Padia Brahmins
  • Paliwal Brahmins
  • Pangotra Brahmins
  • Pottee Brahmins of Kerala
  • Punjabi Saraswat Brahmins
  • Pushkarna Brahmins
  • Rajapur Saraswat Brahmins
  • Rahri Brahmins of Rahr region of Bengal
  • Rigvedi Deshastha Brahmins
  • Sadotra Brahmins of Jammu
  • Sakaldwipi Brahmins
  • Saklapuri Brahmins
  • Sanadhya Brahmins mainly of western Uttar Pradesh
  • Sanketi Brahmins
  • Sarwaria Brahmins
  • Sarypari Brahmins of Eastern Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh
  • Sirinadu Smartha Brahmins
  • Shrimali Brahmins
  • Shivalli Brahmins
  • Shrotriya Brahmins of Jharkhand (in the districts of Hazaribag, Dhanbad, Giridih, Bokaroand) and Bihar (in the districts of Gaya, Nawada, Biharsharif).
  • Smartha Brahmins
  • Srigaur Brahmins
  • Sthanika Brahmins
  • Suryadwij Brahmins (of Kota region in Rajasthan)
  • Thenkalai (a.k.a.Thengalai) Iyengars
  • Tuluva Brahmins
  • Tyagi Brahmins
  • Uppal Brahmins
  • Upreti Brahimins of Kumaon region of Uttarakhand
  • Utkal Brahmins
  • Uluchakamme Brahmins
  • Vadagalai Iyengars
  • Vadama Iyers
  • Vaidik or Vaidiki Brahmins
  • Vaishnava Brahmins
  • Vathima Iyers
  • Yajurvedi Deshastha Brahmins
http://www.kamat.com/kalranga/people/brahmins/list.htm

How many Brahmin communities in the above list are coming under Smartha Sect.

Vganeji, I agree with you. This list is worthless.
Bhumihar Brahmins:
They were Rajputs, but they did not accept that Brahmins were higher than them, so one fine day they declared themselves to be Brahmins. They are usually landlords and warrior clans. Other Brahmins of Bihar do not accept them as Brahmins. These bhumiars are meat eaters, and very aggressive chieftains.

As with many castes in India, there are numerous myths regarding the origins of the Bhumihar community. One legend claims that their ancestors were Brahmins who were set up to take the place of the Kshatriyas slain by Parashurama but some non-Bhumihars have implied that they are the mixed-race offspring of Brahmin men and Kshatriya women. Other legends state that they are the offspring of a union between Rajput men and Brahmin women, or that they derive from Brahman-Buddhists who lost their high position in Hindu society. The Bhumihars themselves dislike these narratives involving "hybridity" or "fallen status", and claim to be pure Brahmins.

Bhumihars claim to be descendants of Brahmins who held land grants, a theory supported by scholars such as Jogendra Nath Bhattacharya. However, other communities did not give them the ritual status of Brahmins, as most of them were cultivators during the British Raj.[SUP][4][/SUP] Some of the early censuses of British India categorised Bhumihars as Shudras, the lowest of the four varnas. This was considered insulting, especially since several zamindars (land-owning aristocrats) were Bhumihars.

Nagar Brahmins:
Nagars claim themselves to be superior to Brahmins, they have brahmins as cooks. They trace their ancestry to Greeks. They are usually very fair, with blue eyes.

The eminent historian D. R. Bhandarkar was the first to point out that the surnames used by the Nagar Brahmins in the recent past are amongst the surnames of Brahmins in whose favour the Kings made grants, as found in early inscriptions between the 6th and 8th centuries AD. Dr. Bhandarkar has shown that the Sapadalaksha Brahmins were the same as the Nagar Brahmins, who were undoubtedly of Alpine origin. Alpine Aryans are believed to have entered India as part of Aryan immigration during the third millennium BC. It has been suggested that the Nagar Brahmins along with the present-day Bengali Kayasthas are amongst the purest forms of this type; they were originally the Brahmin priests of the Alpines, as evident from several early inscriptions, and that probably explains their comparative pure state till now.

Nambudris:
Would be insulted to be included in this list. They claim themselves to be superior to Brahmins. They too have brahmins as servants.

I think this list is wrong in so many instances. I think it should be authenticated otherwise it is a meaningless list.

May be this will increase the NUMBERS of brahmins. It might be better to include Brahmin Bulls
th

, Brahmin Bags
51wx96r1t3L.jpg

, and Boston Brahmins
th

Last edited:
Vganeji, I agree with you. This list is worthless.
Bhumihar Brahmins:
They were Rajputs, but they did not accept that Brahmins were higher than them, so one fine day they declared themselves to be Brahmins. They are usually landlords and warrior clans. Other Brahmins of Bihar do not accept them as Brahmins. These bhumiars are meat eaters, and very aggressive chieftains.

As with many castes in India, there are numerous myths regarding the origins of the Bhumihar community. One legend claims that their ancestors were Brahmins who were set up to take the place of the Kshatriyas slain by Parashurama but some non-Bhumihars have implied that they are the mixed-race offspring of Brahmin men and Kshatriya women. Other legends state that they are the offspring of a union between Rajput men and Brahmin women, or that they derive from Brahman-Buddhists who lost their high position in Hindu society. The Bhumihars themselves dislike these narratives involving "hybridity" or "fallen status", and claim to be pure Brahmins.

Bhumihars claim to be descendants of Brahmins who held land grants, a theory supported by scholars such as Jogendra Nath Bhattacharya. However, other communities did not give them the ritual status of Brahmins, as most of them were cultivators during the British Raj.[SUP][4][/SUP] Some of the early censuses of British India categorised Bhumihars as Shudras, the lowest of the four varnas. This was considered insulting, especially since several zamindars (land-owning aristocrats) were Bhumihars.

Nagar Brahmins:
Nagars claim themselves to be superior to Brahmins, they have brahmins as cooks. They trace their ancestry to Greeks. They are usually very fair, with blue eyes.

The eminent historian D. R. Bhandarkar was the first to point out that the surnames used by the Nagar Brahmins in the recent past are amongst the surnames of Brahmins in whose favour the Kings made grants, as found in early inscriptions between the 6th and 8th centuries AD. Dr. Bhandarkar has shown that the Sapadalaksha Brahmins were the same as the Nagar Brahmins, who were undoubtedly of Alpine origin. Alpine Aryans are believed to have entered India as part of Aryan immigration during the third millennium BC. It has been suggested that the Nagar Brahmins along with the present-day Bengali Kayasthas are amongst the purest forms of this type; they were originally the Brahmin priests of the Alpines, as evident from several early inscriptions, and that probably explains their comparative pure state till now.

Nambudris:
Would be insulted to be included in this list. They claim themselves to be superior to Brahmins. They too have brahmins as servants.

I think this list is wrong in so many instances. I think it should be authenticated otherwise it is a meaningless list.

May be this will increase the NUMBERS of brahmins. It might be better to include Brahmin Bulls
th

, Brahmin Bags
51wx96r1t3L.jpg

, and Boston Brahmins
th
hi

Nagar brahmins from Gujarat.....we have NAGAR BRAHMIN SAMAJ in our town in USA....they generally worship LORD SHIVA...

very bright community....they called MAHARAJ....THEY ARE BEST COOKS TOO...I HAVE MANY FRIENDS FROM NAGAR BRAHMINS...

A couple of years back, I had a chance of travelling with a Rtd DE of BSNL . During the course of the talk he revealed that he belongs to “ Hiranya Kesia Iyer“ sect of Brahmin and a follower of Sathyaashada Suthram originated by Sri.Sathyaashaada Maharishi.

It is said that the followers of Sathyaashada Suthram live in 18+1 villages in Thanjavur district and in a few villages around Periyakulam. Madurai, Tirunelveli areas and in some parts of Kerala and north India.He said there are around a five hundred families of their sect in Tamilnadu. We exchanged phone numbers and address.

After a month, I received by post a book named “Sathyaashada Suthra Prayogam” containing the details of manthraas in Tamil and Devanaagari.
He is still in touch with me discussing over phone some matters of mutual interest connected with TBs, Atrology etc.

A couple of years back, I had a chance of travelling with a Rtd DE of BSNL . During the course of the talk he revealed that he belongs to “ Hiranya Kesia Iyer“ sect of Brahmin and a follower of Sathyaashada Suthram originated by Sri.Sathyaashaada Maharishi.

It is said that the followers of Sathyaashada Suthram live in 18+1 villages in Thanjavur district and in a few villages around Periyakulam. Madurai, Tirunelveli areas and in some parts of Kerala and north India.He said there are around a five hundred families of their sect in Tamilnadu. We exchanged phone numbers and address.

After a month, I received by post a book named “Sathyaashada Suthra Prayogam” containing the details of manthraas in Tamil and Devanaagari.
He is still in touch with me discussing over phone some matters of mutual interest connected with TBs, Atrology etc.

They are probably Vathima Iyers. Vathima Iyers are living in 18 villages in and around Thanjavur District.

The list doesn't contain Chozhia and Dikshidhars from Smartha Sect.

They are probably Vathima Iyers. Vathima Iyers are living in 18 villages in and around Thanjavur District.

They are separate sect. I referred to in the post about my friend who belongs to “ Hiranya Kesia Iyer“.
It appears hat the question is asked after reading between the lines.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back