• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Lighting the lamp

S Raghavan

We light a lamp in front of God daily before puja. Once puja and naivvedyam are over we allow the lamp to burn for about two hours and then extinguish it with a flower. Is this act allowed or should we allow the lamp to extinguish itself. I would like to know the correct procedure. Secondly can we wear the Rudraksha mala all the time or should it be worn only during puja. I would like to have answers for both questions from knowledgeable people. S Raghavan

We light a lamp in front of God daily before puja. Once puja and naivvedyam are over we allow the lamp to burn for about two hours and then extinguish it with a flower. Is this act allowed or should we allow the lamp to extinguish itself. I would like to know the correct procedure. Secondly can we wear the Rudraksha mala all the time or should it be worn only during puja. I would like to have answers for both questions from knowledgeable people. S Raghavan
I do not profess to be a "knowledgeable Person". But I have heard it said multiple times.

When the lamp particularly during Arati, is offered to the supreme lord, it enables the devotee to see the form of the lord, which is inside the sanctum sanctorum. This is particularly so in south Indian Temples. Where the Sanctum is dark. There was no availability of artificial lighting in the earlier days and hence, it would become difficult to see the deity of the lord after sunset.
Once the pooja is over, there is no need for this light.
And for the sake of safety, you must not have an unattended lamp in the house, because it can cause an accident.

Also it is a symbol to show off. So you have bought it you might as well show it.

• When can I wear Rudraksha Mala?
    The mala can be worn all the time. You can even wear it when you sleep or shower. If you take cold water baths and are not using any chemical soap, it is especially good for the water to flow over it and upon your body. But if you are using chemical soaps and warm water, it becomes brittle and will crack after sometime, so it is best to avoid wearing it at such times.

Last edited:
I do not profess to be a "knowledgeable Person". But I have heard it said multiple times.

When the lamp particularly during Arati, is offered to the supreme lord, it enables the devotee to see the form of the lord, which is inside the sanctum sanctorum. This is particularly so in south Indian Temples. Where the Sanctum is dark. There was no availability of artificial lighting in the earlier days and hence, it would become difficult to see the deity of the lord after sunset.
Once the pooja is over, there is no need for this light.
And for the sake of safety, you must not have an unattended lamp in the house, because it can cause an accident.

Also it is a symbol to show off. So you have bought it you might as well show it.

• When can I wear Rudraksha Mala?
    The mala can be worn all the time. You can even wear it when you sleep or shower. If you take cold water baths and are not using any chemical soap, it is especially good for the water to flow over it and upon your body. But if you are using chemical soaps and warm water, it becomes brittle and will crack after sometime, so it is best to avoid wearing it at such times.
Thanks for the reply. As regards rudraksha mala my doubt has been clarified. My question on the lamp is can I extinguish it with a flower.
Thanks a lot for the information
S Raghavan

Thanks for the reply. As regards rudraksha mala my doubt has been clarified. My question on the lamp is can I extinguish it with a flower.
Thanks a lot for the information
S Raghavan
As far as my knowledge you can extinguish with flower. or pull the wick back into oil. We generally do not blow the lamp.

Latest ads

Back