• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Laws restricting the freedom of expression

Status
Not open for further replies.
Laws restricting the freedom of expression

India prohibits hate speech by several sections of the Indian Penal Code, the Code of Criminal Procedure, and by other laws which put limitations on the freedom of expression. Section 95 of the Code of Criminal Procedure gives the government the right to declare certain publications “forfeited” if the “publication ... appears to the State Government to contain any matter the publication of which is punishable under Section 124A or Section 153A or Section 153B or Section 292 or Section 293 or Section 295A of the Indian Penal Code”.

Section 153A of the penal code says, inter alia:

Whoever (a) by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise, promotes or attempts to promote, on grounds of religion, race, place of birth, residence, language, caste or community or any other ground whatsoever, disharmony or feelings of enmity, hatred or ill-will between different religious, racial, language or regional groups or castes or communities, or (b) commits any act which is prejudicial to the maintenance of harmony between different religious, racial, language or regional groups or castes or communities, and which disturbs or is likely to disturb the public tranquility, . . . shall be punished with imprisonment which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

Section 295(A) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) enacted in 1927 says:
Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of [citizens of India], [by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise], insults or attempts to insult the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to [three years], or with fine, or with both.

This may be noted by any member indulging in writing insulting threads here about any religion.

Hate speech laws in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This may be noted by any member indulging in writing insulting threads here about any religion.

Hate speech laws in India - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dear PJ sir,

I think you may have reference to the thread 'Russians embracing Hinduism' in the 'Religion' section here. I am not sure what you mean by the above, but if you feel my postings claiming my belief that Hinduism is superior citing reasons for feeling the same are not really of good taste, I will definitely delete the contents.

Thanks & Regards,

Smt JR Ji

These laws for hate speech, nothing to worry about your thread.

This is just to remind any member posting any thread hating any religion, caste , creed, etc they will be surely reported to Administrators to take appropriate actions .

Thank you for the clarification, PJ sir.

Regarding spreading hate messages, I remember a quite long ago incident wherein a Xtian man wrote some contents for a textbook at the 'Bharathidasan University' character assassinating Sri Andal. I know after a lot of protests, that textbook was withdrawn from the syllabus, but I am not sure if the man faced any criminal charges. Hindus in India are putting up with a lot of garbage promoted and protected under the label of India being secular.

Smt JR Ji

Please note this section

Section 295(A) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) enacted in 1927 says:
Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of [citizens of India], [by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise], insults or attempts to insult the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to [three years], or with fine, or with both.

If any member posts any threads insulting any Hindu Gods, class citizens, or their religious beliefs, they will be facing the consequences of their action.

If any member posts any threads insulting any Hindu Gods, class citizens, or their religious beliefs, they will be facing the consequences of their action.

Oh, yes! I noticed that too. Just counting on, if it exceeds my tolerance level, I would not hesitate to report to the administrators. Thanks for bringing this up! You are a good man.

Its pathetic people who have 0 knowledge on anything at all, who cannot post anything other than chit-chatting in their own threads, who cannot contribute anything of use in any other thread have the audacity to 'judge' gods, goddesses and other posters and try to portray a picture of being 'all-knowing, mature, impartial and knowledgeable' so as to the level of giving out uncalled-for advices to others, maligning others' faith and beliefs, crossing all boundaries!

Last edited:
the law is an ass and the key word is threat to peace and security. hindus will never indulge in serious sustained violence even when strongly provoked. this is not he case with religions of peace and love. recently, in the victory rally of the MIM party in aurangabad, "hindu bhago" slogans were raised. both the media and the police ignored the behaviour.

Is it the law that is restricting freedom of expression or is it PJ sir who is restricting freedom of expression in Forum?LOL

PJ sir..it seems to me you dont want anyone to write stuff that you are not comfortable with! Ha Ha Ha.

PJ sir..discussion of any kind does not mean insulting..that way some of us can also lodge a complaint that many are calling Karna bad when he is the son of Surya Bhagawan...therefore a Demi God.

Karna is a Hindu and a Demi God to start with and people are debating if he is bad with back up support of some Acharyas.

OMG! Blasphemy! A Hindu Demi God Karna is being called Bad in Forum.His father Surya Bhagawan is surely not going to be happy that his son's name is being tarnished and many dare call Karna bad but do Suryanamaskar to his father in the morning. What an irony!LOL

What is going to happen? Adharma Adharma!

O'My Kadavule!

Last edited:
P J sir

why this sudden turn from you

you are talking of restriction.
of freedom of expression

this is not the PJ sir we know and admire.

regaards

krish44

some days back, a member asked rhetorically - why the thread is not closed or the member silenced. everybody has got his own standard and level of abuse when freedom of speech is concerned. PJ sir raised legal issues and the perils one may face by transgressing the limits. one can end in prison or lose his head when peace/love religion is abused, but accept insults timidly when native religion is cocerned.

PJ sir is correct to issue a warning and make the law visible.

P J sir

why this sudden turn from you

you are talking of restriction.
of freedom of expression

this is not the PJ sir we know and admire.

regaards

krish44

Sri Krish Sir

When did i turn back ? i never supported any thread criticizing any religion, culture, caste, etc.

No one has the right to criticize Hindu way of life, their deities, their religious practices, their Great Epics and Purans, and if such threads were posted here, ( or already posted ) the member concerned are warned the consequences of their action.

................OMG! Blasphemy! A Hindu Demi God Karna is being called Bad in Forum.His father Surya Bhagawan is surely not going to be happy that his son's name is being tarnished and many dare call Karna bad but do Suryanamaskar to his father in the morning. What an irony!LOL
What is going to happen? Adharma Adharma! O'My Kadavule!

Surya bhagavan will burn them to ash with his rays. With so many bhagavans around we can not really keep count of the insults they suffer. One fellow long back landed on the Chandra Bhagavan and defiled that bhagavan. His country was cursed by that bhagavan to break into pieces and that happened. Now countries including India have sent probes to Chevvai bhagavan and are scratching him to take samples of his skin. Poor fellow we do not knwo what that bhagavan is going to do on getting up because of this mosquito bite. He may take a swat and hit the earth to send it hurtling towards another distant galaxy. As we all fly off the face of the earth like water drops from a ball bowled, we may all coalesce to form another plant. I will get a chance to be the new Adam with a beautiful Eve. LOL.

Sri Krish Sir

When did i turn back ? i never supported any thread criticizing any religion, culture, caste, etc.

No one has the right to criticize Hindu way of life, their deities, their religious practices, their Great Epics and Purans, and if such threads were posted here, ( or already posted ) the member concerned are warned the consequences of their action.

P.J. Sir,

Thanks for the thread.

On my part I have already discussed such issues with a source of mine who has connections with senior lawyers of Supreme Court of India and I am clear on that.

I have already mentioned in my earlier posting in another thread to the effect that I am ready to initiate action against any Member who commit actionable comment which attracts the sections mentioned in this thread, besides the Sections mentioned in the sticky threads of this Forum, apart from addressing the Moderator.

Every Member should know his limits while expressing his voice. It is better if they think twice before posting derogatory/disparaging remarks offending others feelings concerning religion, culture, caste etc.

Most important no one should find fault with Ravan after all he is Vijaya and the gate keeper of Vaikuntha and no matter how staunch a Vishnu Bhakta one is..its Ravan who is going to be standing at the door of Vaikuntha and what if he does not open the door?

So be nice! No more finding fault with former Asuras!LOL

Surya bhagavan will burn them to ash with his rays. With so many bhagavans around we can not really keep count of the insults they suffer. One fellow long back landed on the Chandra Bhagavan and defiled that bhagavan. His country was cursed by that bhagavan to break into pieces and that happened. Now countries including India have sent probes to Chevvai bhagavan and are scratching him to take samples of his skin. Poor fellow we do not knwo what that bhagavan is going to do on getting up because of this mosquito bite. He may take a swat and hit the earth to send it hurtling towards another distant galaxy. As we all fly off the face of the earth like water drops from a ball bowled, we may all coalesce to form another plant. I will get a chance to be the new Adam with a beautiful Eve. LOL.

And what about Narakasura? He is also a demi god son of Bhooma Devi.

And everyone celebrated his death with fire crackers and murrukku and laddoos!

What will happen? How can we be so ungrateful to Earth and rejoice when her son is dead?

Shiva Shiva!

P.J. Sir,

Thanks for the thread.

On my part I have already discussed such issues with a source of mine who has connections with senior lawyers of Supreme Court of India and I am clear on that.

I have already mentioned in my earlier posting in another thread to the effect that I am ready to initiate action against any Member who commit actionable comment which attracts the sections mentioned in this thread, besides the Sections mentioned in the sticky threads of this Forum, apart from addressing the Moderator.

Every Member should know his limits while expressing his voice. It is better if they think twice before posting derogatory/disparaging remarks offending others feelings concerning religion, culture, caste etc.

Dear Bala Sir

Appreciate your stand on this issue; it is time, such threads are totally stopped in this Forum, and such members are weeded out of this Forum.

Being a Hindu and member of this great Tamil Brahmin Forum, if any member think they can go on posting threads criticizing Hindu Gods, Deities, Purans, Great Epics, it is time they should be told the consequences of their action.

If any member has no belief in Hindu Way of Life and their concepts, they should remain without affecting the sentiments of the majority of members in this Forum.

Being a Hindu and member of this great Tamil Brahmin Forum, if any member think they can go on posting threads criticizing Hindu Gods, Deities, Purans, Great Epics, it is time they should be told the consequences of their action.

If any member has no belief in Hindu Way of Life and their concepts, they should remain without affecting the sentiments of the majority of members in this Forum

PJ sir..buy you yourself posted stuff which was not flattering about Karna...what about the sentiments of Karna fans?

Most important no one should find fault with Ravan after all he is Vijaya and the gate keeper of Vaikuntha and no matter how staunch a Vishnu Bhakta one is..its Ravan who is going to be standing at the door of Vaikuntha and what if he does not open the door?

So be nice! No more finding fault with former Asuras!LOL

renukaji

This is not a fun thread; you know very well, how a very few members criticize Lord Krishna, and other Deities , Brahmins and their practices etc in this Forum.

Being a member of this Great Tamil Brahmin Forum It is time such members are reminded of the consequences of their action.

Hence my OP.

PJ sir..buy you yourself posted stuff which was not flattering about Karna...what about the sentiments of Karna fans?

renukaji

read my thread about Karna and come back.

Anyway your post does not deserve a reply.

renukaji

This is not a fun thread; you know very well, how a very few members criticize Lord Krishna, and other Deities , Brahmins and their practices etc in this Forum.

Being a member of this Great Tamil Brahmin Forum It is time such members are reminded of the consequences of their action.

Hence my OP.

Dear PJ sir,

I know its not a fun thread..I also do not like anyone criticizing Hinduism or any specific devata/guruji/babaji but at the same time members should also realize that its not fair to criticize other religions and their ideology.

Any form of extremism is not advisable whether its a Jihad or Hindutva.

and Asuras too are Hindus and should not be criticized.We should also respect contribution from other cultures.

Can everyone follow this?

I dont think so..it seems to me that we practice double standards.

Last edited:
And what about Narakasura? He is also a demi god son of Bhooma Devi.

And everyone celebrated his death with fire crackers and murrukku and laddoos!

What will happen? How can we be so ungrateful to Earth and rejoice when her son is dead?

Shiva Shiva!

"entha kuzhanthaiyum nalla kuzhanthai thaan mannil pirakkaiyilE,
avar nallavar aavathum theeyavar aavathum annai valarkkaiyilE"

so goes a song from the Radio Mirchi which is blaring from my neighbour's house. May be for the mother too a bad boy when he goes is good riddance. Who knows. I do not know.

"entha kuzhanthaiyum nalla kuzhanthai thaan mannil pirakkaiyilE,
avar nallavar aavathum theeyavar aavathum annai valarkkaiyilE"

so goes a song from the Radio Mirchi which is blaring from my neighbour's house. May be for the mother too a bad boy when he goes is good riddance. Who knows. I do not know.

Not good enough an excuse!LOL

What about the other bad boys in the world that Bhooma Devi does not mind carrying on her back?

Dear Bala Sir

Appreciate your stand on this issue; it is time, such threads are totally stopped in this Forum, and such members are weeded out of this Forum.

If any member has no belief in Hindu Way of Life and their concepts, they should remain without affecting the sentiments of the majority of members in this Forum.

Dear Mr. PJ,

My thoughts on this issue:

Why this intolerance? Do you believe Hinduism is going to be in any way affected by such posts of people who do not believe in it?

I am for a totally free forum in which critical views should be encouraged. That will give us an opportunity to discuss and learn more. Only a cry baby will go and complain to the moderator and ask for the banning of a poochandi member.

Let all those who do not believe in Hindu way of life come here and criticise. I will answer every question of them. Whether they accept it or not is not going to bother me.

Only hitting below the belt should be strictly avoided and that would include only, personal name calling, abusive language, mocking at icons(like acharyas) of Hindus etc.,

Dear PJ sir,

I know its not a fun thread..I also do not like anyone criticizing Hinduism or any specific devata/guruji/babaji but at the same time members should also realize that its not fair to criticize other religions and their ideology.

Any form of extremism is not advisable whether its a Jihad or Hindutva.

and Asuras too are Hindus and should not be criticized.We should also respect contribution from other cultures.

Can everyone follow this?

I dont think so..it seems to me that we practice double standards.

renukaji

you know very well about my intention , why i raised OP ? You yourself have mentioned that there are members who post insults against Lord Krishna, ( by mail )

Did you read my thread about Karna, and if you did, please edit your reply in POST no 17.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back