• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Language issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know , vande mataram was part of novel anandmath in bengali by sarat chandra. The petitioner deserves the extra mark. The song was later written in devanagari script. The first two stanzas were picked up to become national song

Since the writer of the song was a Bengali Babu, he wrote this Sanskrit song in Bengali script! :cool:

Hence the confusion! :crazy:

Wiki says:

''The first two verses of the song are an abstract reference to mother and motherland, they do not mention

any Hindu deity by name, unlike later verses that do explicitly mention goddesses such as Durga.''

So, just like our Tamizh ThAy vAzhththu, this is also a clipped song!
tongue.png

REF: Vande Mataram - Wikipedia

I have never heard the song sung like this:

bônde matôrôm

sujôlang suphôlang

môlôyôjôshitôlam

shôsyô shyamôlang

matôrôm

bônde matôrôm

The first two verses of the song are an abstract reference to mother and motherland, they do not mention any Hindu deity by name, unlike later verses that do explicitly mention goddesses such as Durga.'' #3

Looks secular - Then why Indian Muslim refuse to accept this song?

The word "Mataram", means Mother. Their objection is to the idea that a country can be a mother.

THEY are Wrong. It has no religious connotation.

The word "Mataram", means Mother. Their objection is to the idea that a country can be a mother.

THEY are Wrong. It has no religious connotation.

People are suspicious - they see Hinduthva or RSS hand

A ‘padha puja’ for teachers along with ‘Bharata Mata puja’ on Saturday organised at the Sethupati Higher Secondary School, where poet and freedom fighter Subramania Bharathi taught, ran into controversy with organisations associated with Left parties registering their opposition.

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-pape...ja-in-school-kicks-up-row/article19243517.ece

Muslims object to the deifying of a concept and giving it a persona. They object to India being portrayed as a woman (islam does not accept worshipping images or idols).

Vande Mataram is a Bengali-Sanskrit poem from the novel Anandamath (1882) written by Bankim Chandra Chatterjee. The first 2 stanzas of the original full version have the official status as the "National Song" of the Republic of India.
Here is the literal translation of all the stanzas of Vande Mataram by Aurobindo Ghose as appeared in Karmayogin, 20 November, 1909.

Bengali ScriptDevnagri ScriptEnglish TransliterationTranslation in PROSE
বন্দে মাতরম্ ৷
সুজলাং সুফলাং
মলয়জশীতলাম্
শস্যশ্যামলাং
মাতরম্ !

শুভ্র-জ্যোত্স্না-পুলকিত-যামিনীম্
ফুল্লকুসুমিত-দ্রুমদলশোভিনীম্,
সুহাসিনীং সুমধুরভাষিণীম্
সুখদাং বরদাং মাতরম্ ৷৷

সপ্তকোটীকন্ঠ-কল-কল-নিনাদকরালে,
দ্বিসপ্তকোটীভুজৈধৃতখরকরবালে,
অবলা কেন মা এত বলে !
বহুবলধারিণীং
নমামি তরিণীং
রিপুদলবারিণীং
মাতরম্ ৷

তুমি বিদ্যা তুমি ধর্ম্ম
তুমি হৃদি তুমি মর্ম্ম
ত্বং হি প্রাণাঃ শরীরে ৷
বাহুতে তুমি মা শক্তি,
হৃদয়ে তুমি মা ভক্তি,
তোমারই প্রতিমা গড়ি মন্দিরে মন্দিরে ৷

ত্বং হি দুর্গা দশপ্রহরণধারিণী
কমলা কমল-দলবিহারিণী
বাণী বিদ্যাদায়িণী
নমামি ত্বাং
নমামি কমলাম্
অমলাং অতুলাম্,
সুজলাং সুফলাং
মাতরম্

বন্দে মাতরম্
শ্যামলাং সরলাং
সুস্মিতাং ভূষিতাম্
ধরণীং ভরণীম্
মাতরম্ ৷
वन्दे मातरम........,..

मां.. मां
सुजलाम सुफलाम मलायाजा शीतलम
शास्यश्यमालम मातरम, वन्दे
सुजलाम सुफलाम मलायाजा शीतलम
शास्यश्यामालम मातरम, वन्दे मातरम !!
वन्दे मातरम........
मां

शुभ्र ज्योत्स्ना पुलाकितायामिनिम,
फुल्ला कुसुमिता दृमादालाशोभिनिम..

सुहासीनीम सुमधुराभाश्हिनिम
सुखदाम वरदाम मातरम
वन्दे मातरम........

सप्त कोटि कंठ कलाकालानिनादा कराले,
निसप्त कोटि भुजैध्रुता कराकर्वाले..
अबलाकेनो मां एतो बाले
बहुबलधारिनिम नमामि तरिनिम
रिपुदालावारिनिम मातरम, वन्दे मातरम !!
वन्दे मातरम........

तव ही दुर्गा दशाप्रहरानाधारिणी
कमला कमालादाला विहारिणी
वाणी विद्यादायिनी, नमामि तवम
नमामि कमल अमल अतुलम
सुजलाम सुफलाम मातरम
श्यामल सरल सुस्मिताम भूश्हितम
धरिनिम भारनिम मातरम, वन्दे मातरम
वन्दे मातरम........
मां.. , मां...
vande maataram
sujalaam suphalaam
malayajasheetalaam
shasyashyaamalaam
maataram !

shubhra jyotsnaa pulakita yaamineem
phullakusumita drumadalashobhineem,
suhaasineem sumadhurabhaashineem
sukhadaam varadaam maataram.

saptakoteekantha kala-kala ninaadkaraale
dwisaptakotibhujai dhrit kharkarbaale,
abalaa keno maa eto bale!
bahubaladhaarineem
namaami taarineem
ripudalabaarineem
maataram.

tumi vidyaa tumi dharma
tumi hridi tumi marma
tvam hi praanaah shareere.
baahute tumi maa shakti,
hridaye tumi maa bhakti,
tomaari pratimaa gadi mandire mandire.

tvam hi durgaa dashapraharanadhaarinee
kamalaa kamala dalabihaarinee
vaanee vidyaadaayinee
namaami tvaam
namaami kamalaam
amalaam atulaam,
sujalaam sufalaam
maataram

vande maataram
shyamalam saralam
susmitam bhushitam
dharaneem bharaneem
maataram
I bow to thee, Mother,
richly-watered, richly-fruited,
cool with the winds of the south,
dark with the crops of the harvests,
The Mother!

Her nights rejoicing in the glory of the moonlight,
her lands clothed beautifully with her trees in flowering bloom,
sweet of laughter, sweet of speech,
The Mother, giver of boons, giver of bliss!

Terrible with the clamorous shouts of seventy million throats,
and the sharpness of swords raised in twice seventy million hands,
who sayeth to thee, Mother, that thou are weak?
Holder of multitudinous strength,
I bow to her who saves,
to her who drives from her the armies of her foes,
The Mother!

Thou art knowledge, thou art conduct,
thou art heart, thou art soul,
for thou art the life in our body.
In the arm, thou art might, O Mother,
in the heart, O Mother, thou art love and faith,
it is thy image we raise in every temple.

For thou art Durga holding her ten weapons of war,
Kamala at play in the lotuses
And speech, the goddess, giver of all lore,
to thee I bow!
I bow to thee, goddess of wealth
pure and peerless,
richly-watered, richly-fruited,
The Mother!

I bow to thee, Mother,
dark-hued, candid,
sweetly smiling, jeweled and adorned,
the holder of wealth, the lady of plenty,
The Mother!

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Vande_Mataram

Last edited:
Looks secular - Then why Indian Muslim refuse to accept this song?

This news item may throw some light.....

Why Muslims reject Vande Mataram

A Chennai surfer says Muslims must get a chance to explain their viewpoint.

The controversy over the singing of Vande Mataram has once again threatened to divide the country on communal lines.
The refusal of the Muslims to sing this song seems to have angered the Hindutva ideologues, who, without giving them an opportunity to explain their position, have accused them of being anti-national.

Hence, it becomes imperative to analyse the objections raised by the Muslim community against the recital of Vande Mataram.
The Muslim viewpoint is that Islam, being a monotheist religion, forbids the apotheosis of any deity, animate or inanimate, except God, the supreme creator.

In fact, ascribing divinity to even Prophet Mohammad is considered an act of blasphemy negating the very purpose of Islam, that is, to promote the concept of unity of mankind through the worship of a common creator.

In this context, those opposed to the Muslim point of view should know that Vande Mataram contains verses that are in direct conflict with the beliefs of Islam.

For instance, the fourth stanza of the song addresses motherland India as, "Thou art Durga, Lady and Queen, with her hands that strike and her swords of sheen, Thou art Lakshmi lotus-throned…."

Read more at: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...nde-mataram/story-rRNDm0d1waQ3FCfew9IhxJ.html

[h=1]Jamiat issues fatwa against singing Vande Mataram[/h]
The Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind in Deoband, Uttar Pradesh, has issued a fatwa asking Muslims not to sing the national song Vande Mataram.

The Jamiat Ulama-i-Hind in Deoband, Uttar Pradesh, has issued a fatwa asking Muslims not to sing the national song Vande Mataram.

In a resolution passed at the Jamiat's 30th general session at Deoband, the organisation argued that some verses of the song were against the tenets of Islam.

The conference was being attended by nearly 10,000 clerics and Islamic scholars.

The Jamiat had recently adopted a series of resolutions asking the government to stop interfering in the affairs of minorities, including changes in the madrassa education system.

Meanwhile, the Muslim Law Board justified the decision on Vande Mataram, saying Muslims couldn't offer prayers to anyone but Allah.

"We love the nation but can't worship it," said Kamal Farooqi, a prominent member of the board.

The controversy surrounding Vande Mataram is older than independent India. In 1937, the Indian National Congress discussed at length the status of the song. It was pointed out that the last two stanzas invoked Goddess Durga. So it was decided to keep the two paragraphs out of the song.

Due to reservations expressed by Muslims over Vande Mataram, the status of national anthem was given to Jana Gana Mana.

Source: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/Jamiat+issues+fatwa+against+singing+Vande+Mataram/1/69117.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand( maybe, I really do not) some of the Muslims points of view.
I will concede the point. But the country should be first and paramount. Religion or lack of it is personal and is subordinate to the country.

So everyone must respect the country, the Flag, the national anthem.

No body should be issued a "fatwa". Religion should be a private matter.

Last edited:
Here is some more ......

Do Indian Muslims refuse to sing Vande Mataram…why

Link:https://www.quora.com/Do-Indian-Muslims-refuse-to-sing-Vande-Mataram-Why

How is saying Vande Mataram an offense in Islam

Link: https://www.quora.com/How-is-saying-Vande-Mataram-an-offense-in-Islam

Muslim councillors in Meerut walk out during Vande Mataram, membership terminated

The Muslim members said they will continue to boycott Vande Mataram “as the Sharia law does not allow them to sing it and that they will move court over the issue if necessary”.

Link: http://www.hindustantimes.com/india...-terminated/story-c0m8uAVw0X9omZ9642gDWK.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand( maybe, I really do not) some of the Muslims points of view.
I will concede the point. But the country should be first and paramount. Religion or lack of it is personal and is subordinate to the country.

So everyone must respect the country, the Flag, the national anthem.

No body should be issued a "fatwa". Religion should be a private matter.

I also agree. Nation should get the priority above all.

I also agree. Nation should get the priority above all.

As per High Court's Order, Nation gets the priority...

Sing Vande Mataram regularly in all schools, colleges and companies, rules Madras HC

"Patriotism is an essential requirement for every citizen of this country," observed the High Court.

In an effort to instil patriotism, the Madras High Court has made the singing of India’s National Song - Vande Mataram at least once a week compulsory in all schools, colleges, universities and educational institutions.

Justice MV Muralidharan also directed the National Song to be played and sung in all government offices and institutions, private companies and industries at least once a month.
The High Court order reads:

"The Director of Public Information is directed to upload and circulate the translated version of “Vande Matharam” in Tamil and English thereby making it available in the Government websites and also in social media;

Let a copy of this order be marked to the Chief Secretary of the Government of Tamil Nadu, who shall issue appropriate instructions to the concerned authorities;

In the event, any person/organisation has difficulty in singing or playing the National Song, he or she shall not be compelled or forced to sing it, provided there are valid reasons for not doing so."

Elaborating on why instilling patriotism is essential today, Justice Muralidharan that as we have become busy with our own lives, we have sometimes forgotten the nation.

“Patriotism is an essential requirement for every citizen of this country. The fact that this country is our Motherland should always be remembered by every citizen of this country.

Several people have sacrificed their lives and families to the independent struggle that prolonged for several decades. In these tough times, it was songs like our national song “Vande Matharam” which created a sense of belief and confidence in the people.”

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...-colleges-and-companies-rules-madras-hc-65695

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back