• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Khushwant Singh dies at 99.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Khushwant Singh dies at 99.

NewDelhi: Noted writer and journalist Khushwant Singh passed away today. He was99. Singh is one of India's best-known writers and columnists.

Born on 2February 1915 in Hadali, now in Pakistan's Punjab, he was the founder-editor ofYojana and editor of the Illustrated Weekly of India, The National Herald andHindustan Times. He wrote classics like 'Train to Pakistan', 'I Shall Not Hearthe Nightingale' and 'Delhi'

Read more:http://newstodaynet.com/nation/khushwant-singh-dies-99

Last edited by a moderator:
New Tork Times Obituary

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/21/w...cative-indian-journalist-dies-at-99.html?_r=0

Quotations from the above link:

In that sense, he was a nationalist. But he was also one of his country’s most dogged critics.

“Why am I an Indian?” he asked in an essay. “I did not have any choice: I was born one. If the good Lord had consulted me on the subject I might have chosen a country more affluent, less crowded, less censorious in matters of food and drink, unconcerned with personal equations and free of religious bigotry.”

Book News: Khushwant Singh, Who Wrote Of India's Bloody Partition, Dies : The Two-Way : NPR
He wrote his own eiptah (as quoted in the above link)

• A prolific obituarist, Singh wrote his own epitaph before he died:
"Here lies one who spared neither man nor God
Waste not your tears on him, he was a sod
Writing nasty things he regarded as great fun
Thank the Lord he is dead, this son of a gun."

Late Mr.Kushwant Singh was a stalwart in Journalism. He was very Bold in expressing his views.
When I was in New Delhi I was a regular reader of his weekly column in "The Hindustan Times".
At the ripe age of 98,he advocated 'South Indian food' for aged people.
He will be remembered in India forever.

The man KS who increased the circulation of Illustrated weekly from some 40k to 4.5 lakhs. Ofcourse he made use of 'Glamour' at that period.He is a pioneer in this regard.
His sens of humar is highly appreciated.
Alwan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back