• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

KedhAra Gowri vratham is performed during Deepavali.

Status
Not open for further replies.
KedhAra Gowri vratham is performed during Deepavali.

Without any differences as to caste,creed or economic distinctions, devotees devoted to Amba/Shiva observe this Vratha.

The story behind this Deepvali Vratha goes like this:
Bhrungi Rishi was a great devotee of Lord Shiva but one defect existed in the great seer. He never prayed to Devi and completely ignored Her! Even during the supplicative practice of Pradakshina(circumambulation),He ignored Divine Mother.

To teach a lesson to this Sage, both Shiva and Parvathy merged into one and appeared as Ardhanareeshwara before the Saint.The saint did not budge and assumed the form of a Bee!(bee is called Brhunga in sanskrit and thus his name Bhrungi rishi) and then peirced the body of Ardhanareeshwara/i and tried to do circum-ambulate Shiva's side alone!

(Amba is Bhraamari and the sage plays with Bee rupa! This is arrogance brought about by ignorance)
Ego is dangerous and spiritual ego is the most dangerous they say!

When divine mother gets angry Shiva cannot do anything, so Divine mother withdrew shakthi from the "Bhruga" and when the rishi assumed his form back, he could hardly stand on his legs!, this despite intense and arduous tapas for Lord Shiva. Lord Shiva had to give him a stick to make him stand up!

Lord Shiva then pacified Shakthi and then made the Rishi realize the folly of ignoring Divine Mother. Thus Shiva-shakthi AiykyatA was relaized on this day(DeepAvali day) by the Rishi and he performed the Kedara-gowri Vratha, Himself.

story of Adi Shankaracharya Bhagavadpada:

The Great Guru Shankaracharya once went to Kashmir, wanting to engage in debate the followers of the Goddess (Shakti), known as the 'Shaktas.' No sooner had he reached the place than he was rendered immobile by a severe bout of dysentery. So seriously was he affected, that unable to get up from his bed, he for the moment, lost the power to speak.

Soon after, a twelve-year-old girl came near him and whispered in his ears: "O Shankara, do you think you can negate the cult of Shakti?"

Feeling helpless, Shankaracharya said, "Devi, I have come here for this very purpose, but right now I feel devoid of any potency. When I gain enough power to speak, only then will I be able to do so. Without Shakti, I cannot do anything."

The charming girl replied thus: "O revered preceptor, when you yourself cannot move an inch without your Shakti, how will you refute its cult? O Wise One, know me to be Shiva's Shakti - The supreme power activating this world. Charged by my own energy, you want to negate me?"

His mind now at rest, Shankaracharya bowed to the goddess, and left Kashmir as soon as he recovered.)

There is also another story about this vratha:

Regarding Kamakshi AMba performing this vratha to unite with Lord Shiva back among her many austerities she performed.

This vrata is observed for 21 days starting from shukla paksha aShTami (Eighth moOnday in the waning/growing phase of thelunar month) in the mid Sep to mid Oct.

The final day (deepavali day) is observed with great devotional fervor.

Procedure of the vratha:

Install Lord kedhArIshvara svAmi in a filled pot (kalasham).

Make a roof (manTapa) above the kalasham.

Make vrata threads - 21 fibers having 21 knots.

The 16 courtesy worship has to be done for 21 days starting from the purattAchi shukla paksha dasami to amarapakshaa chaturdashi or amAvAsya.

On the culmination day (21st) in a clean decorated area devotionally install the kalasham over the grains spread in a banana leaf and offer various food and fruits to the Lord as offering and donate to others.

Some beliefs and fruits of doing the vratha : viShNu became Lord of vaikunta observing this vratam. braHma got hamsa vehicle, the guards of the eight directions got rid of the curse they got from braHma, bhagyavati and puNyavati got lots of wealth all due to the glory of this vratam. One who observes this vratam with devotion pleases Lord shiva immensely(all these are given as vratha phalitha)

Kedara Gowri Vratha - Shakti Sadhana - IndiaDivine.org
Kedara Gowri Vratham - Special Deepavali Ashta Lakshmi Abhishekam - DhartiOnline.com
Kedareshwar Vrata 2014, Kedareshwar Puja on Deepavali Amavasya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back