• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Karadaiyan Nonbu 2015 - Savitri Nombu Vritham 2015 date

Status
Not open for further replies.
Karadaiyan Nonbu 2015 - Savitri Nombu Vritham 2015 date

Karadaiyan Nombu, or Savitri Nonbu Vritham, is a Tamil observance in which married woman prays for the well being and long life of her husband. Karadaiyan Nombu 2015 date is March 15 and time of breaking of fast and to wear Saradu is between 7:00 AM and 8:00 AM (India Standard Time). In USA, it is on March 14.

In Australia, Malaysia and Singapore it is on March 15. It is observed on the particular day when the transition between the Tamil months Maasi and Panguni takes place. Karadai is the name of a unique nivedya (holy dish) prepared on this day. Nombu means Vratam or upvasam (fast).

Update - You can find the USA timings of beginning of Panguni month here.

Karadaiyan Nombu is observed in remembrance of the Satyvan – Savitri legend. A princess, Savitri through her unparalleled devotion saved her husband, Satyvan, from the clutches of death. This legend is very popular in India and there are several other observances based on this legend like the Vat Savitri Puja.

Savitri Nonbu Vritham is observed at the exact time when Masi month ends and Panguni begins.

On the Vratam day married women fast and break the fast by eating the Karadai preparation with butter.

The preparation is known as Karadai nombu adai - the festival takes its name from the unique Kara Adai dish. It is believed that Savitri cooked such a dish and offered it to Lord Yama along with unmelted butter as a sort of thanksgiving for sparing her husband’s life.

Another important ritual is the wearing of the Kaaradai nombu saradu, which is a yellow thread, around the neck.

You may also like to read

How to observe Karadi Nombu or Savitri Vratam

The Story of Karadayan Nombu – Savitri and Satyavan legend

How to cook sweet Karadai?

How to prepare Savoury or White Karadai?

Karadaiyan Nonbu 2015 - Savitri Nombu Vritham 2015 date ~ Hindu Blog

PLEASE FOLLOW THE TIMINGS GIVEN BY SRI GOPALAN SIR in post no 5

சென்னை வாசிகள் 14ந் தேதி இரவு 15ந் தேதி விடியற்காலை 4 மணிக்குமேல் 5 மணிக்குள் காரடயான் நோன்பு நூர்க்க வேண்டும்.

Last edited:
When we got married in 1973, this festival/ritual is the one my wife had maximum objections. This ritual represents the enslavement of women. I wonder how the modern girls continue to accept this. No Karaiyadayan Nonbu in my house.

Dear Nachi Sir,

Praying for the well being of the spouse does not come under enslavement! :)

It is fun to watch the fighting-cock mAmis also perform this nOnbu sincerely. :thumb:

BTW, one of my extended family members used to prepare the 'sweet adais' on

many days, since it was the snack liked by all her kids! :hungry:

......Karadaiyan Nombu 2015 date is March 15 and time of breaking of fast and to wear Saradu is between 7:00 AM and 8:00 AM (India Standard Time). ....
OMG! We have to ONLY skip the morning coffee and break the fast (?!) after 7 a.m. :cool:

I am reminded of what Cho Ramaswamy said once: ''I fast everyday between 8 p.m and 6 a.m, the next day''!

Thanks for the info. P J Sir. :)

சென்னை வாசிகள் 14ந் தேதி இரவு 15ந் தேதி விடியற்காலை 4 மணிக்குமேல் 5 மணிக்குள் காரடயான் நோன்பு நூர்க்க வேண்டும்.

காரடையார் நோன்பின் மகிமை

காரடையார் நோன்பின் மகிமை

உ லகில் உள்ள எல்லா நாடுகளிலும், ஆன்மீகத்தில் சிறந்த நாடாக, பலம் மிகுந்த நாடாக இந்தியா கருதப்படுவது ஏன் என்று சிந்தித்தால் நமக்குக் கிடைக்கும் பதில், பாரத தேசம் ஒரு புண்ணிய பூமி, கர்ம பூமி பல ஆலயங்கள் நிறைந்த நாடு என்று கூறுவார்கள். அது மட்டுமல்ல:நமது நாட்டுப் பெண்கள் இல்லங்களிலும், ஆலயங்களிலும் ஆற்றிய ஆன்மீகப் பணியும் ஒரு காரணம். நமது நாட்டு வரலாற்றில்

ஆன்மீக பக்கத்தை புரட்டினால் ஆண்கள் புரிந்த ஆன்மீகச் செயல்கள், மற்றும் அதிசயச் செயல்கள் போல சற்றும் குறையாமல், ஏன் சற்று அதிகமாகவே பெண்கள் ஆற்றியுள்ளனர். அப்படி ஒரு ஆன்மீகச் சாதனை புரிந்தவர்களில் சாவித்திரி தேவியும் ஒருவர். அவர் புரிந்த சாதனையே இன்று கொண்டாடப்படும் காரடையார் நோன்பிற்கு காரணம். அதனுடைய வரலாற்றை நாம் இங்கு சுருக்கமாகப் பார்ப்போம்.

மத்திர தேசம் என்ற நாட்டை ஆண்டு வந்த அசுவபதி என்ற ராஜாவிற்கு குழந்தை இல்லை என்ற கவலை. ஒரு நாள் நாரதர் அங்கு வந்த போது, அவரிடம் தன் குறையை சொல்ல, நாரதர் சாவித்திரி தேவியை நினைத்து பூஜை, ஹோமங்கள் செய்தால் வழி பிறக்கும் என்று சொல்லி மறைந்தார். ராஜாவும் அவர் சொன்னபடியே செய்தார். அந்த ஹோமம் செய்த அக்னி குண்டத்திலிருந்து, ஜெகத்ஜோதியாய் தேவியவள் வந்தாள். பிரம்மதேவன் அனுப்பியதால் இங்கு வந்தேன். இப்போது உனக்கு மகன் இல்லை. இனிமேல் உண்டாகும். c செய்த தவத்திற்கு பலனாக நானே கன்னிகையாய் வந்து அவதரிப்பேன் என்று சாவித்திரி தேவி சொல்லி மறைந்தாள்.

சிறிது நாட்களுக்கப் பிறகு தேவி அவள் சொன்னபடியே அரசனின் பட்ட மகிஷியான மாளவியின் வயிற்றில் சாவித்திரி தேவி பிறந்தாள். அவள் வளர்ந்து பருவ மங்கையானதும் அவளுக்கு திருமணம் செய்ய நினைத்தார்கள். அவளுடைய அழகிற்கு ஈடாக எந்த அரச குமாரனும் இல்லை, என்பதால் அசுவபதி ராஜா, தன் மகளிடம்''நீயே உன் தோழிமாரோடு சென்று உனக்கேற்றவனைக் தேர்ந்தெடுத்து வா''என்று சொல்லி அனுப்பினார்.

சாவித்திரி தேவியும் தேசமெங்கும் ஆராய்ந்தும் கிடைக்காமல் இருந்தபோது, நாட்டை இழந்து காட்டில் வசிக்கும் சாலுவ தேசத்து அதிபதியின் மகனை (சத்தியவான்) வனத்தில் கண்டாள். தன் தந்தையிடம் வந்து தன் விருப்பத்தைத் தெரிவித்தாள். அப்போது அங்கு வந்த நாரதர் அதைக் கேட்டுக் கலங்கினார். காரணம் என்ன என்று ராஜா கேட்டதற்கு நாரதர் சொன்னார். '' அந்த சத்தியவான் ஒரு வருடத்தில் மரணம் அடைந்து விடுவான் '' என்று. ராஜா தன் மகளிடம் '' c வேறு ஒருவரை வரித்து '' வா என்று சொன்னார். ஆனால் சாவித்திரியோ மனதில் ஒருவரை வரித்த பின்பு-வேறு ஒருவரைத் தேடுவது பதிவிரதம் கெட்டுவிடும். அவரையே தான் நான் மணப்பேன் என்று உறுதியாகக் கூறிவிட்டாள்.

நாரதர் அரசனிடம், சாவித்திரி அவள் மன திடத்தாலே எமனையும் வெற்றி பெறுவாள் என்று சொல்ல, அரசரும் அவள் விருப்பப் படியே காட்டிற்கு சென்று சத்தியவானிடம் கன்னிகா தானம் செய்து விட்டு வந்தார். காட்டில் சாவித்திரி பதிவிரதா தர்மத்திற்கு ஒரு குறையும் இல்லாமல் கணவனோடு கானகத்தில் வாழ்ந்து வந்தாள். கணவனுடைய மரண தேதியை அறிந்து இருந்ததால், கடுந்தவம் செய்தாள், கௌரி நோன்பு இருந்தாள். காமாக்ஷி தேவியை நோக்கி கடுந்தவம் இருந்தாள்.அந்த பங்குனி முதல் நாள் வந்தது. கடும் நோன்பு இருந்து உணவு இல்லாமல் இருந்தாள். காட்டில் விறகு கொண்டு வர கணவனுடன் சென்றாள். விறகு பிளக்கும் போது கணவன் உயிர் துறந்தான். சாவித்திரி தன் கணவனின் உயிரை மீட்க சபதம் கொண்டாள். கணவனுக்கு ஈமைக்கிரியைகள் செய்ய உறவினர்கள் வந்தபோது செய்ய அவள் அனுமதிக்கவில்லை. சாவித்திரி தனது கணவனின் உடலுடன் காட்டில் தனியாக அவன் உயிரை மீட்க காமாட்சி தேவியை நோக்கி பூஜித்தாள். பூஜையை தொடர்ந்து நடுவே எமன் தோன்றி ''உன்னுடைய பூஜைகள் அனைத்தும் வீண். உயிர் பிரிந்தது பிரிந்ததுதான்''என்று சொல்லியும் அவள் தன் விரதத்தை கைவிடவில்லை. காட்டில் கிடைத்த பூக்களையும், பழங்களையும் வைத்து பூஜித்தாள். அம்மைக்கு அமுது படைக்க விரும்பினாள். காடுகளில் ஏதும் கிடைக்காததால் அங்கே கிடைத்த களிமண்னை அடையாகவும், கள்ளிப் பாலை வெண்ணெயாகவும் பாவித்து பூஜை செய்தாள்.

எமதர்மன், சத்தியவான் உயிரை எடுத்துவிட்டுச் சென்று கொண்டிருந்தார். சாவித்திரி விடாமல் பின் தொடர்ந்து சென்றாள். எமன் அவளைப் பார்த்து ''என்னை ஏன் தொடருகிறாய்?''என்று கேட்க ''என் கணவன் உயிர் வேண்டும்''என்றாள். வேறு எதை வேண்டுமானாலும் கேள் தருகிறேன், என்ற எமனிடம் ''எனக்கு நூறு பிள்ளைகள் வேண்டும்''என்று வரம் கேட்க, ''தந்தேன் அம்மா உனக்கு''என்றார். தொடர்ந்து அவரைப் பின் தொடர்ந்து உங்கள் வரம் ''பலிக்காமல் போகலாமா!கணவனில்லாமல் எப்படி உங்கள் வரம் எனக்கு பலிதமாகும்?தரும தேவனுடைய வாக்கு பொய்யாகலாமா?''என்றாள். எமதேவனுக்கு அப்போது தான் சாவித்திரி தேவியின் மதி நுட்பம் புரிந்தது. சாவித்திரியின் பூஜைகளையும், மதி நுட்பத்தையும் மெச்சி உள்ளங்குளிர்ந்து, கணவனுடைய உயிரைப் தந்ததோடு, இழந்த ராஜ்ஜியத்தையும் அளித்தார்.

இவ்வாறு காலனையே கதி கலங்க வைத்து போராடி வெற்றி பெற்றதற்கு, சாவித்திரியம்மன் செய்த கௌரி நோன்பு தான் காரணமாகும். அப்படி சாவித்திரி செய்த பூஜையே இன்று நாம் அனைவரும் செய்யும் காரடையார் நோன்பு ஆகும். மாசி முடிந்து பங்குனி தொடங்கும் சமயம் அன்றைய தினம் சுமங்கலிகள் பூஜை செய்தால், அவர்களுடைய கணவரைப் பிரியாமல், தீர்க்க சுமங்கலிகளாக இருப்பார்கள் என்பதே அந்த நோன்பின் மகத்துவம்.

காட்டில் சாவித்திரி படைத்த மண் அடையை வெல்ல அடையாகவும், கள்ளிப்பாலை வெண்ணெயாகவும் நாம் அன்னைக்கு படைக்கிறோம். பூஜையின்போது ''உருகாத வெண்ணெயும், ஒரடையும் நான் உனக்கு தருவேன். கணவனை பிரியாத வரம் வேண்டும்''என்று சுமங்கலிகள் அனைவரும் காரடையார் நோன்பு எனும் பூஜையை செய்தால் சாவித்திரி போல திடமான மனதையும், கொண்ட கொள்கையில் உறுதியும் காமாட்சி அன்னையின் அருளையும் பெறுவார்கள் என்பது உறுதி.

: ( ) : kamakoti.org:

Karadayan Nonbu, 15th March 2015 - Morning 04.05 to 05.10 Hrs.

Karadayan Nonbu, 15th March 2015 - Morning 04.05 to 05.10 Hrs.

Karadayan Nonbu, or SavitriNombu is a vow observed in Tamil Nadu on the last day in Maasi masam or the Masi month in Tamil calendar. This festival also marks the Meena Sankramanam or the transition of Sun into Meena Rasi (Pisces) from Kumbha rasi (Aquarius). In 2015, Karadayan Nonbu date is March 15 ( Early Morning 04.05 to 05.10 Hrs).

Story Behind Nombu
Savitri and Satyavan (Satyavan Savitri)

The oldest known version of the story of Savitri and Satyavan is found in "The Book of the Forest" of the Mahabharata.

The story occurs as a multiple embedded narratives in the Mahabharata as told by Markandeya. When Yudhisthira asks Markandeya whether there has ever been a woman whose devotion matched Draupadi’s, Markandeya replies by relating this story:

The childless king of Madra, Asvapati, lives ascetically for many years and offers oblations to Sun God Savitr. His consort is Malavi. He wishes to have a son for his lineage. Finally, pleased by the prayers, God Savitr appears to him and grants him a boon: he will soon have a daughter. The king is joyful at the prospect of a child. She is born and named Savitri in honor of the god. Savitri is born out of devotion and asceticism, traits she will herself practice.

Savitri is so beautiful and pure, she intimidates all the men in the vicinity. When she reaches the age of marriage, no man asks for her hand, so her father tells her to find a husband on her own. She sets out on a pilgrimage for this purpose and finds Satyavan, the son of a blind king named Dyumatsena, who after he had lost everything including his sight, lives in exile as a forest-dweller.

Impressed by Satyavan’s devotion towards his blind parents, Savitri decides to marry him.

Savitri returns to find her father speaking with Sage Narada who announces that Savitri has made a bad choice: although perfect in every way, Satyavan is destined to die one year from that day. In response to her father’s pleas to choose a more suitable husband, Savitri insists that she will choose her husband but once. After Narada announces his agreement with Savitri, Ashwapati acquiesces.

King first refused to the marriage but Savitri was adamant. Finally, the King relented and the marriage was conducted and the couple left for the forest.

They led a happy life and soon a year passed and Savitri realized that Satyavan would die any moment. So she kept fast and always followed him. Her offerings were durwa grass and peepal leaves.She performed neivedhyam with wild rice and toor dal. that is kaara arisi and thuvaram parrupu that is why this vratham is known as karadayan nonbu.

Next day, she followed Satyavan to the forest. While cutting woods, he fell down and fainted. Soon, Savitri realized that Satyavan is dying. Suddenly she felt the presence of Yama, the god of death. She saw him carrying the soul of Satyavan and she followed Yama.

Yama first ignored Savitri thinking that she will soon return back to her husband’s body. But she persisted and kept on following him. Yama tried few tricks to persuade her but nothing worked. Then Yama said that it is impossible for him to give back the dead as it is against the nature’s law. Instead, he will give her three boons.

Savitri agreed with the first boon she asked for a son for her father. With the second boon she asked that her in-laws be reinstated in their kingdom with full glory.

Finally, for the third boon she asked ‘I would like to have children.’
Yama immediately said ‘granted.’ But soon Yama realized that he had been tricked by Savitri.

Yama remained silent for a minute and then smiled and said ‘I appreciate you persistence. But what I liked more was you readiness to marry a man whom you loved even though you knew that he would only live for a year. So this karayadan nonbu protected her husband.

Prayers are offered to GowriDevi and women meditate on Savitiri and wear a yellow thread round their neckas they chant the following sloka

Throram Krishhnami subhake saharitham
Dharami aham bharthu
Ayushya Sidhartham supreethabhava sarvadha

தோரம் க்ருஹ்ணாமி ஸுபகே ஸஹாரித்ரம் தராம்யhஹம்
பர்த்து; ஆயுஷ்ய ஸித்யர்த்தம் ஸுப்ரீதா பவ ஸர்வதா

The following is the tamil chant

உருக்காத வெண்ணையும்
ஓரடையும் நான் தருவேன்,

ஒருக்காலும் என்னைவிட்டு என்
கணவர் பிரியாதிருக்க வேண்டும்.

Urukaddha Venneyum oradhayam naan nootren
Orukkalum en kanavar ennai vittu pririya dhirukka vendum
which means I offer butter and the rice made out of kaara arisi bless me that i live happily with my husband.

Neivadhayam is made of betel leaves a adai made out of rice and butter.
On this occasion let me wish all the ladies a happy karadayan nonbu.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Karadayan Nonbu Adai

There are certain dishes that are invariably made specifically in a year, on particular days, like Poornam Kuzhakattai for Ganesh Chathurthi, Kali for Thirvadarai, Cheedai for Janmashtami, Pori urundai for Karthigai and this particular adai for Karadayan Nonbu. Though the dishes prepared in some other days also as a general dish generally people don’t make Nonbu Adai on a day to day basis. That’s what makes them so special.

Ingredients

1. Rice Flour – 1 cup
2. Grated or powdered Jaggery – 1 cup
3. A handful of cowpeas or Karamani
4. Cardamoms – 3 -4
5. Coconut cut into small pieces – a handful
6. Ghee – 1 tsp
7. Water – 1 1/2 cup

Method

Dry roast the rice flour till brown on medium heat. (You should be able to put lines with the flour like you do with kolam maavu). Pressure cook the Karamani, mash them coarsely and keep it aside.

In a Kadai, heat the said 1 ½ cups of water with the grated jaggery. Once the jaggery dissolves completely, remove from heat. Strain impurities and place it on heat again. Let it start boiling. Once the jaggery water starts boiling add the cooked cowpeas, coconut pieces and roasted rice flour. Mix well without forming any lumps. Add a tsp of ghee and mix well. The whole flour should become a round mass. Remove from heat. Let it cool a little.

Grease idly moulds. Make small balls out of this mixture and flatten them. Make a small hole with your finger in the middle. Place in idly moulds and steam for about 10 mins. Once cooked the Adais will have a shiny appearance.

Karadayan adai is ready.

11037215_945810432118842_196908741707669029_n.jpg

Nonbu Adai2

11028000_945810712118814_5688175885305103273_n.jpg

Satyavan_Savitri

11028000_945811122118773_3593108697378101180_n.jpg

Savitri begs Yama for Satyavan's life.

11041812_945811368785415_6156588883537611388_n.jpg

Savitri_and_Satyavan

Source: Sage of Kanchi

Jambunatha Iyer

I would like to know if this vow is only directed for husband..can it be observed for any other person?

Last edited:
I would like to know if this vow is only directed for husband..can it be observed for any other person?
Why? Who stops one from any observation done in private? If you are doing a spiritual or religious practice for yourself why must it be done in public? There is no requirement for marriage certificates.
I am little surprised by your question, then again you are always full of surprises.

Last edited:
I know only married woman observe this..but can a married woman observe this for a person who is not her husband?
All the sumangalis and unmarried girls of all ages observe kAradaiyAn nonbu, Renu. :)

The first set pray for the well being of husband and second set pray to beget good husband in the right time! :pray:

Why? Who stops one from any observation done in private? ...........
What is this Prasad Sir? Pray for any random person doing this nonbu?

This nonbu is supposed to be a prayer for the well-being of the spouse, observed by ladies.

Girls pray to beget a good partner. :)

Happy NONBU to all dear ladies celebrating on 14th / 15th!

Yummy adais are getting ready for neivEdhyam in my sweet home! :)

I am following SruthivANi time which is very convenient. :thumb:

dear raji,

i stand corrected. mrs K just told me that they observed it once.

also in today's palakkadu samayal, there is details of how to make the adais - sweet and salt. so i guess, it was not a practice in my house. and i behaved like the proverbial poonai, who imagined the whole world collapsed when it closed its eyes :)

Why? Who stops one from any observation done in private? If you are doing a spiritual or religious practice for yourself why must it be done in public? There is no requirement for marriage certificates.
I am little surprised by your question, then again you are always full of surprises.

Dear Prasad ji,

My question is actually a technical one that is ...this Nonbu is for well being and long life of a husband cos it was this day that Savitri managed to get Satyavan revived from the dead..so I was thinking that since it is an 'auspicious 'day to prolong someone's life can this Nonbu be dedicated for a person who is sick for example... but the person is not a husband..cos I was wondering if one can take advantage of the 'auspiciousness' of the day which managed to subdue Yama.

It was in that context I asked if this can be observed for another person who is not a husband just to 'wish' for long life.

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

You know very well that there is NO auspicious time for prayer for the welfare of any person. :pray2:

This particular nonbu is observed only for the husband because Savitri managed to bring back her husband's life.

BTW, Savitri is said to have observed nonbu in the forest, with kaLi maN adai and kaLLip pAl as naiyvEdhyams.

But we make yummi sweet adais, salt adais and butter for naivEdhyams. :thumb:

Good to have choices, Sir!

It is rightly said, 'saugariyaththukku sAsthiram'! :)

My retirement community Brahmins decided that 7.30 P.M on 14th March is Karayadiyan Nonbu. They invited my wife also. My wife did not go. They sent the nonbadais to my house. Very good of them.

When brahms settle abroad, they become more liberated, right Sir?? :)

i dont know about liberation dear raji, good lady.

liberation can mean so many things to so many people. for me, it meant living on my own terms. for example i am not a revolutionary, but many aspects of caste i dont like. i cannot fully practice it in india. in canada, i was able to bring up my children as non caste hindus, which is possible only in certain countries, mostly in the west. they are proud of their hindu identities, more so than a convent educated me. :)

for mrs K, she took to canada like fish to water. we are talking of getting out of india of 1980, still with its economic and social limitations. personally, each step she took towards forming herself, was one less task for me to 'take care' of her. i would say, it is the same for most of the tambram women here, though some may not say so openly.

for the few who had the in laws move in with them, they coped, because of their upbringing back home. but most had no inlaws and that was added freedom.

it took the tension out of finding schools for our children or worrying about their career. atleast in canada. also, once your mind is open, not to worry about the caste or creed of their potential spouses, but focus more on the suitability and earning power.

and finally the earning power, even of the weakened canadian dolla. affords us to do things that we would not possibly do in india.

that just about sums up our 'liberation' :) dear good lady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back