• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Jesudas's comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CHANDRU1849

Singer K J Jesudas, while attending Gandhi Jayanthi celebrations in Thiruvananthapuram, said women should avoid wearing jeans, saying it goes against Indian culture.

Activists of the Kerala Congress unit's women's wing took out a protest march in the City.

This was reported by NDTV News.

Namaskarams,

It is not only against our traditional hindu cilture but also it is hurting the otherwise very sensitive and gentle body parts which no body realise now.

anbudan
adiyen

Singer K J Jesudas, while attending Gandhi Jayanthi celebrations in Thiruvananthapuram, said women should avoid wearing jeans, saying it goes against Indian culture.

Activists of the Kerala Congress unit's women's wing took out a protest march in the City.

This was reported by NDTV News.

Surprised to see this. Why cant men stop meddling with what females wear?
Do females tell a male how he should dress?

All males wear western attire to work and also wear jeans.Its not fair that females should be targeted as not following Indian culture.

That way even the Salwar Kameez is not Indian..it originated from Iran..so should Indian females stop wearing it?

If he feels wearing jeans is against Indian culture..men also should also stop wearing it.

Jeans is a decent attire when worn with a decent top..after all its more decent than Kerala style buxom females not wearing a Thavani!LOL

I think Jesudas should be allowed in the Guruvayoor temple as soon as possible..he has qualified with this Holier Than Thou remark..he has indeed become a Hindu.

Last edited:
Latest-ladies-Kurti-Style-Fashion-6.jpg

images

Which is more decent?

Jeaudas has every right to say what he feels is right and follows in his personal life. Others who agree need not follow. What is the point in abusing him. He also said, in rajani style, 'women must be women and not try to behave like men'. Dress is just external, behaviour is entirely different.

Jeaudas has every right to say what he feels is right and follows in his personal life. Others who agree need not follow. What is the point in abusing him. He also said, in rajani style, 'women must be women and not try to behave like men'. Dress is just external, behaviour is entirely different.

There is no such thing as feminine behavior or masculine behavior that one has to orientate themselves to behave accordingly.

There is no law that even forbids a male from dressing like a female. It only culture that frowns upon it.

Why should a person be forced to behave according to what another wants him/her to be.

Man and woman have a male and female inside them both.

They are free to identify with their masculine or feminine side.

A woman does not want to be a man.

A woman just wants to be herself.

Being herself does not mean she has to be mould herself into what another wants her to be.

If you have noticed I tend to use the word Female when I write..I never use the word Lady.

The reason is ...Lady means someone who puts on a mask to live according to dictates of society.

Female is all raw ,natural and wild...that's not fake.

I even prefer my food raw.

Last edited:
Surprised to see this. Why cant men stop meddling with what females wear?
Do females tell a male how he should dress?

All males wear western attire to work and also wear jeans.Its not fair that females should be targeted as not following Indian culture.

That way even the Salwar Kameez is not Indian..it originated from Iran..so should Indian females stop wearing it?

If he feels wearing jeans is against Indian culture..men also should also stop wearing it.

Jeans is a decent attire when worn with a decent top..after all its more decent than Kerala style buxom females not wearing a Thavani!LOL

I think Jesudas should be allowed in the Guruvayoor temple as soon as possible..he has qualified with this Holier Than Thou remark..he has indeed become a Hindu.

Why else do you think he made this "great" pronouncement when he is living mostly in US among females dressed in western style?

Latest-ladies-Kurti-Style-Fashion-6.jpg

images

Which is more decent?

Dear Renu,

Decent or Indecent is a relative opinion, perception. The kerala woman dress is perceived decent in kerala. It is common and hence men in kerala are not sensationalized by that costume. elsewhere it is not so though.

A korean friend of mine, a gent, stated that the saree worn by indian women makes them look glamorous, coz it exposes the hip, the curve. however women wearing a skirt exposing the legs below the knee do not look glamorous for koreans coz it is common.

A saree clad woman does not attract men in india coz it is a common sight/scene in india.

when south indian women started wearing churidar during the late seventies, they were attracting men's eyes and drawing attention, creating sensation coz it was uncommon then. however now it is common and a churidar clad woman no longer attracts.

in the indian metros, western dress has become common and hence any gent who is raised in a metro is never sensationalized by any woman wearing a western or indian dress.

being sensationalized is all a matter of perception.

yesudass ought to change his perception.

it has become a trend and fashion to resort to the term 'indian culture' as reason for pointing out apparent error in costume/dressing. hardly anyone in this forum can specify what is indian culture especially when it comes to dress. indian men cannot expect every woman to wear only a saree. even in saree/blouse combination, numerous permutations and combinations have evolved. one can debate on whether a particular combination is acceptable or not and there can never be an end to a series of debates on the topic.

to evolve is culture, even in dressing.

we dress for the occasion and for comfort. simple rule is formal dress on a formal occasion and informal dress on an informal occasion. it is comfortable for anyone to wear jeans while journeying. there cannot be a woman's jean or men's jean as much as there is no woman's food or gent's food.

A jean and sleeveless combination for women is acceptable even in indian churches, while yet the bible explicitly exhorts women to dress modestly, cover their heads and be shamefaced. however the combination is understandably unacceptable in hindu temples while yet hinduism does not prescribe any dress-code while visiting temples.

my relatives who work in IBM, DELL, HP, APPLE, CISCO. AT&T etc wear Jeans-Tshirt for office on all days of the week, coz these organizations have a liberal dress-code. however some costumes are forbidden though. most of the foreign organizations, esp IT and BT, operating in india have a liberal dress code with a boundary though. some indian IT cos prescribe formals on mondays and tuesdays, partly formal on other days and liberal on weekends.

when muslim gents wear lungi to mosque for worship, hindu men avoid lungi while visiting temples. here again it is a matter of mindset which men in this forum conveniently forget or diplomatically avoid discussing about.

when my husband sported a costume which resembles the ISKCONites, an orange colored dhoti and kurta, for the simple reason he relishes it, my iyengar relatives raised objection saying it is a costume which is a belonging of only hindu saints. for me it is an absurd explanation for a baseless, unreasonable objection. understandably my iyengar relatives have had their minds programmed and conditions and set to assume that the orange colored combination is only for hindu saints.

to sum it all up, this controversy regarding dress/costumes will never end until the indian men and women change their perception, mindset, break out of their shell, out of their programmed and conditioned mind.

Last edited:
It is his view, the more imperativeness given to it, deeper it gets.

Public needs to distinguish the celebrities from what they are good at and what they are most certainly not. It is individual's temperament to have extreme veneration to famous people and also think they are expert of everything. Consequently when we expect something unheard of from celebrities, we get frustrated.

The same proclamation, if some "Nair" said, it wouldn't have attained this sentimentality.

It is simply a discernment from public that needs more honing.

It is his view, the more imperativeness given to it, deeper it gets.

Public needs to distinguish the celebrities from what they are good at and what they are most certainly not. It is individual's temperament to have extreme veneration to famous people and also think they are expert of everything. Consequently when we expect something unheard of from celebrities, we get frustrated.

The same proclamation, if some "Nair" said, it wouldn't have attained this sentimentality.

It is simply a discernment from public that needs more honing.

Dear drb,

If any other person had said stuff like jeans is not Indian culture..I would not have bothered..but recently Jesudas said that he does not differentiate between Jesus and Krishna and sees all the same.

So I was wondering if he was speaking so "developed" in thought..by not differentiating Jesus and Krishna..so why is he differentiating a pair of jeans and an Indian garment?

Does not make sense right?

That is why I am surprised to know he still thinks a garment denotes a woman and culture.

Dear Renu,

Decent or Indecent is a relative opinion, perception. The kerala woman dress is perceived decent in kerala. It is common and hence men in kerala are not sensationalized by that costume. elsewhere it is not so though.

A korean friend of mine, a gent, stated that the saree worn by indian women makes them look glamorous, coz it exposes the hip, the curve. however women wearing a skirt exposing the legs below the knee do not look glamorous for koreans coz it is common.

A saree clad woman does not attract men in india coz it is a common sight/scene in india.

when south indian women started wearing churidar during the late seventies, they were attracting men's eyes and drawing attention, creating sensation coz it was uncommon then. however now it is common and a churidar clad woman no longer attracts.

in the indian metros, western dress has become common and hence any gent who is raised in a metro is never sensationalized by any woman wearing a western or indian dress.

being sensationalized is all a matter of perception.

yesudass ought to change his perception.

it has become a trend and fashion to resort to the term 'indian culture' as reason for pointing out apparent error in costume/dressing. hardly anyone in this forum can specify what is indian culture especially when it comes to dress. indian men cannot expect every woman to wear only a saree. even in saree/blouse combination, numerous permutations and combinations have evolved. one can debate on whether a particular combination is acceptable or not and there can never be an end to a series of debates on the topic.

to evolve is culture, even in dressing.

we dress for the occasion and for comfort. simple rule is formal dress on a formal occasion and informal dress on an informal occasion. it is comfortable for anyone to wear jeans while journeying. there cannot be a woman's jean or men's jean as much as there is no woman's food or gent's food.

A jean and sleeveless combination for women is acceptable even in indian churches, while yet the bible explicitly exhorts women to dress modestly, cover their heads and be shamefaced. however the combination is understandably unacceptable in hindu temples while yet hinduism does not prescribe any dress-code while visiting temples.

my relatives who work in IBM, DELL, HP, APPLE, CISCO. AT&T etc wear Jeans-Tshirt for office on all days of the week, coz these organizations have a liberal dress-code. however some costumes are forbidden though. most of the foreign organizations, esp IT and BT, operating in india have a liberal dress code with a boundary though. some indian IT cos prescribe formals on mondays and tuesdays, partly formal on other days and liberal on weekends.

when muslim gents wear lungi to mosque for worship, hindu men avoid lungi while visiting temples. here again it is a matter of mindset which men in this forum conveniently forget or diplomatically avoid discussing about.

when my husband sported a costume which resembles the ISKCONites, an orange colored dhoti and kurta, for the simple reason he relishes it, my iyengar relatives raised objection saying it is a costume which is a belonging of only hindu saints. for me it is an absurd explanation for a baseless, unreasonable objection. understandably my iyengar relatives have had their minds programmed and conditions and set to assume that the orange colored combination is only for hindu saints.

to sum it all up, this controversy regarding dress/costumes will never end until the indian men and women change their perception, mindset, break out of their shell, out of their programmed and conditioned mind.

Kuvs...I simply love you.

Dear drb,
If any other person had said stuff like jeans is not Indian culture..I would not have bothered..but recently Jesudas said that he does not differentiate between Jesus and Krishna and sees all the same.
So I was wondering if he was speaking so "developed" in thought..by not differentiating Jesus and Krishna..so why is he differentiating a pair of jeans and an Indian garment?
Does not make sense right?
That is why I am surprised to know he still thinks a garment denotes a woman and culture.

Ofcourse, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever. Subsequently I proposed to abandon it as it is with a decent rebuttal. Since the more we examine, it gets personal and unnecessary waste on both parties included. I apply a simple logic for this situation, I wouldn't regard to the counsel of my tyke on driving an auto nor get medical exhortation from an architect. It is miles separated and nonsensical. Thus to the greatest advantage of all, it is better to disregard.

Nonetheless, a few circumstances like the latest Deepika and TOI's ruckus may have had other conceivable concealed motivation (promotion of upcoming film, expanding sales and so forth). Those need a stronger rebuff. On the other hand, more public discussion will help the parties included with their concealed motivation. I am not saying there is some motivation in Jesudas' remark, but simply longed to disregard.

K
I like the lastline
' the controversy regading dress /costumes will never end until the indian men and women change their perception , mindset, break out of their shell, out of their programmed and conditioned mindset.'

K ,you are addressing , I fear the wrong audience.

the generation here who comprise of people born in late thirties and forties are a bit over the hill can hardly be expected to do anything you have suggested above.

facebook would have been a better place perhaps with a younger set who can get moulded differently and will appreciate your post

an excellent post neverthless.

keep it up.

a person who dreams of change after a lot of bad experiences in coming to terms with life can only be admired.

men would do well in not commenting on dresses or costumes worn by women, as it is a sensitive issue concerning only the wearer. they know what is good for them

why should men comment and make a fool of themselves.

Deepika P. gave a fitting reply . More will follow suit ...

I agree with Krishji, Renekaji, and Kuvuji. It is stupid of men to be talking of women's dress.

In all Religions, dresses with certain pattern are standardized. A Hindu Priest cannot perform his duties with the attire of Christian or Muslim and vice versa. To expose differently by moving away from routine will be looked upon differently.

Regarding your husband's dress, he may like to mingle with your Poorvasrama people with the dress which is closely related to that community, or try to antagonize your relatives, which, I think, he has succeeded.

Does he restrict his action only in dress or wear Poonal and perform Sandhyavandhanam? I am very eager to know.

i do agree that interpretation of a dress is mostly mindset. in my teens, i used to sport the lungi, and i used to get special treatment at the cycle stand by the guard there, who later confessed he thought i was a muslim :)

that your iyengar relatives being peeved with your hubby's saffron attire may be understandable..starting with veeramaamunivar aka jesuit beschi, xtian missionaries, for various reasons, have been anxious to mask the foreign origin of their religion with adopting hindu religious terms and dresses.

in the two pix below, the one with the beard, unless you read the fine print, one could easily mistake him for a hindu saadhu as opposed to a friar of some xtian denomination. no?

.. and the other...brahmaNa seva and christ? mmmm .poojya sri bhagavathar .... saastrigal? ...quaint terms under today's tambram usage too, i think

Attachments

• xtian iyers.jpg
    xtian iyers.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 140
  • xtian veda.jpg
    xtian veda.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
One should not pretend to be what one is not. It shows lack of conviction and self assurance.

I would ask the same question of Iskconites. What is wrong with your original religion that you have to start dancing chanting Krishna's name? Do you think it is a shorter path to salvation?

KV, this should convince you that everybody is not generally anti Christian here. It is the pretension that bothers me.

K
Deepika P. gave a fitting reply . More will follow suit ...

I am sure this would have been rehashed several times in this forum when the brouhaha was at its peak few weeks before.

I sincerely don't mean to rekindle the fire but thought to share my take - when somebody exposes themselves in public and in movies, it should have been a basic common sense to expect some fall-outs. TOI did not publish any housewife or common women in that limelight. By stating that, I am not supporting the actions of TOI, but what I am trying to convey is that they were already given some leverage by the actress through her movies and public appearances. I don't think DP was sincere in admonishing TOI, infact, taking it one step further, I believe all this were done for her upcoming movie publicity stunt. I am sure people would have raked in crores with this inglorious & cheap stunt, while the public as usual stand tall as a moronic witness.

Nowadays, 'women empowerment' is nothing but a cliche. In the name of freedom, some of them degrade themselves and cry out loud, which are nothing but crocodile tears.

Anyway, I am sure you would have seen this, another example - a pitiable exertion by the actress to conceal her dignity. Maybe she didn't realize yet, that she is wearing a dress that she wore when she was 10 years old. Somebody needs cleaning their closet frequently.

Katrina Kaif Says No To Photographers | Lehren - Yahoo Screen

Now if somebody like that advocates women freedom or whatever - will be ridiculous. One has to have some respect for themselves before gaining or expecting the same from others.

Now if somebody like that advocates women freedom or whatever - will be ridiculous. One has to have some respect for themselves before gaining or expecting the same from others.

Freedom is the birth right of everyone. Freedom means free to be yourself.That does not have to fall in the mental perception of others and respect from others need not matter too.

Most important is we should accept the fact that we can be multidimensional and unpredictable.

That is total freedom..Being unbelievable and being unpredictable.

Last edited:
A garment does not decide the character of a person.

After all Jayalalitha is always draped in a saree but yet now arrested for disproportionate assets.

Corrupt politicians are always dressed up traditionally.

A garment does not decide the character of a person.
After all Jayalalitha is always draped in a saree but yet now arrested for disproportionate assets.
Corrupt politicians are always dressed up traditionally.

well, in that case (just for argument), I can cite another scenario to support the other aspect of hypothesis 'garment does not decide the character of a person'. Scenario - I am sure we all have kids (boys / girls) and would most likely not let them walk around in public naked/half-naked (girls with 2-3 inches long skirt from waist and boys in their underwear). There is a difference, you see!!. Likewise, I wouldn't expect anyone to attend my kids' birthday party dressed half-naked. It DOES, indeed, talk about character of the person.

As far as freedom statement of yours, ofcourse as you said, it is 'birth right' but that doesn't mean that you have to strut around with your 'birthday dress' making others uncomfortable.

Disclaimer: Whether I am supporting the hypothesis one way or the other, dress is there for a reason, if somebody doesn't have proper grasp on it, need to have a thorough examination.

i do agree that interpretation of a dress is mostly mindset. in my teens, i used to sport the lungi, and i used to get special treatment at the cycle stand by the guard there, who later confessed he thought i was a muslim :)

that your iyengar relatives being peeved with your hubby's saffron attire may be understandable..starting with veeramaamunivar aka jesuit beschi, xtian missionaries, for various reasons, have been anxious to mask the foreign origin of their religion with adopting hindu religious terms and dresses.

in the two pix below, the one with the beard, unless you read the fine print, one could easily mistake him for a hindu saadhu as opposed to a friar of some xtian denomination. no?

.. and the other...brahmaNa seva and christ? mmmm .poojya sri bhagavathar .... saastrigal? ...quaint terms under today's tambram usage too, i think

Sir,

During the seventies, the lungi was a common informal dress as much as dhoti was. it was common to see, especially in tamilnadu and kerala, any man who has stepped into his teens and beyond, wearing a lungi at home, for the simple reason that it was the most comfortable to wear. it was common to see also outside of home when men take a walk, do their morning shopping of groceries and vegetables.

when i entered a temple, which i usually frequent every morning and evening, to chant vishnu sahasranam with a large group, wearing a lungi, it raised many an eyebrow. many men privately approached me and advised me to refrain from stepping into the temple wearing a lungi. when full pants and shirt, a western outfit, is permitted in the temple, i was wondering how a lungi makes a difference for the simple reason that it was perceived a muslim costume. my arguments did not cut any ice. the followind day i visited the temple wearing a white colored lungi, which deceived everyone's eyes to perceive it as dhoti. not one soul objected to it. so a lungi becomes dhoti when it is white. that perhaps is hindu, indian culture.

we used to debate on such topics like, "is it wrong to light a kuthuvilakku using a cigarette lighter?" etc. for which we never received a convincing reason and which remain inconclusive to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back