• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is India ready for vegan fashion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

In a silk-loving country like India, the concept of vegan fashion has always been a bit of a grey area. Internationally, designers like Stella McCartney have been the potent voices of animal-friendly fashion. Last year, Swedish high street label H&M launched a line of eco-conscious clothing and did a campaign hashtagging #BeConscious. But by and large, the value-for-money conscious Indian customer wants to look and feel good.

The Fashion Design Council of India has partnered with PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) to promote the cause of vegan fashion through the Fashion for Freedom Boycott Bill, urging organisations and designers to commit to this issue, so there are some who are thinking about lesser advocated causes.

Anita Dongre who's been a vegetarian since the age of 12. She recently turned totally vegan and avoids any sort of animal products in her collections - be it clothing or accessories. "I never use leather, fur in any of my products. Ever since I turned vegan, I have been very particular about this."

Designer Payal Khandwala says, "Only a small percentage of people are really sincere about it. Also, we are a silk loving country but how do we know which is violent silk and which is non-violent. Of course, beautiful polyester looks like silk but the process is as expensive. Honestly, a very few people know about the fabric and there are no discerning customers."

Is India ready for vegan fashion? | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

I am vegan in fashion ..no silks sarees/no silk clothes...no leather...only use cosmetics/lipsticks that are certified free from animal testing.

........... Designer Payal Khandwala says, "Only a small percentage of people are really sincere about it. Also, we are a silk loving country but how do we know which is violent silk and which is non-violent. Of course, beautiful polyester looks like silk but the process is as expensive. Honestly, a very few people know about the fabric and there are no discerning customers." .......
Dear Prasad Sir,

Pure silk sarees with pure zari are very expensive. There are number of poly silk sarees which appear like silk sarees, in the price

range Rs. 350 - 800. These are made of polyester threads and artificial zari. Please
check it out in Sing. Chennai textile stores.

BTW, even after giving away 6 to 8 nice sarees every year to one destitute home, my almirah is filled with unused polysilk sarees.

I have removed the borders from one side and have them for daily use!
Now, the sarees are light and easy to wear. :cool:

It is not difficult to become a vegan in fashion. Cottons and polyesters are vegan. We can do without leather handbags, leather shoes or even leather suitcases. I am a vegan in fashion...no silks, herbal cosmetics. Even in food only animal product used is milk.
Syamala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back