• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Is Dhoni the best captain India ever had

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

Economic_Times
Is Dhoni the best captain Indian cricket ever had? And is he going to leave the game better than it was? While the rest of the panel is ambivalent, Manjrekar is unequivocal: "I'm a fan. Dhoni leads from the front and he is a much better role model for young cricketers than those who went before him. In the past, the biggest problem with the Indian team was temperament. Which is why we would lose matches we were all set to win. Today, the team is temperamentally stronger, thanks to Dhoni. He is capable of leading Indian cricket itself, not just the team."

Dhoni certainly seems to enjoy being the captain, unlike Sachin Tendulkar, who was never happy taking charge. Bhogle believes Dhoni is a political animal at heart, which is why he's so inscrutable: "He wouldn't do anything to jeopordise his captaincy. He knows when to stay quiet and what to say in any given situation. He prefers to wait and watch rather than speak out."

Dhoni is definitely good and is probably among the top 3 along with Kapil Dev and Saurav Ganguly. Each of them is different, but all had major contributions and all were successful. Hard to say who is the best.

Humans tend to have a recency bias, hence the adulation for Dhoni. More power to him!

Dhoni is definitely good and is probably among the top 3 along with Kapil Dev and Saurav Ganguly. Each of them is different, but all had major contributions and all were successful. Hard to say who is the best.

Humans tend to have a recency bias, hence the adulation for Dhoni. More power to him!

I may agree with your choice of Kapil Dev, but Dada in the same catagory, no way. Dada was a fool, egoistic, wore his emotions on the sleeve, and very difficult to work with. It just happens that there were good player who tolerated Dada. The Bengali's liked him and adored him and wrote praising him. It was lucky for dada, that India won in-spite of him.

http://www.newswala.com/Sports-News/MS-Dhoni-is-best-captain-Kapil-Dev-42750.html

The 1983 World Cup winning captain Kapil Dev on Saturday showered kudos on the leadership of Mahendra Singh Dhoni saying India has got the best ever captain in him.

"I have no doubt of his (Dhoni) ability," Kapil Dev said and noted that winning of the World Cup under the present captain was much tougher than in 1983. "Cricket competition is becoming tougher and tougher and winning the next World Cup will be the toughest," the former all rounder said. Citing some of the successes under the present skipper, Kapil Dev said he believes that under Dhoni India's cricket is in safe hand.

He said "For example, winning the Champions Trophy in England without having big guns like Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Sourav Ganguly, all credit should go to the captain and the young boys."

There is beautiful side by side comparison of these two

http://guylife.com/versus-sport/whos-the-better-captain/12911

Last edited:
I personally am not a major Dada supporter, because I did not follow the Indian cricket team during his captaincy. At least we agree regarding Kapil Dev who, even though he did not have Gavaskar's cunning, had a huge heart.

The Dada vs. Dhoni seems to be a big debate with no clear winner, as I see on the internet. Here is an example thread: Who is better captain dhoni or dada? - Yahoo! Answers India

That's why I picked 3, at least there is consensus about the top 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back