• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Interfaith Marriage: Christian And Hindu Love Story Told In 'Saffron Cross'

Status
Not open for further replies.

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
I consider marriage a social contract ..I do not give much importance to wedding rituals cos I do not need rituals for me to feel love and care for someone but for the sake of society and parents we go tru wedding rituals.

Even though I consider marriage as a social contract I still very much prefer to sign that contract with a person of my own religion.

Last edited:

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Krish Sir,

We can easily say our rituals are mumbo jumbo, but when it comes to celebrations in our family,

the blame for this mumbo jumbo is put on the society and relatives! Cool attitude! :thumb:

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
I consider marriage a social contract ..I do not give much importance to wedding rituals cos I do not need rituals for me to feel love and care for someone but for the sake of society and parents we go tru wedding rituals.

Even though I consider marriage as a social contract I still very much prefer to sign that contract with a person of my own religion.
Dear Renu,

Your wedding rituals were to please to your parents. Nice to hear this. :)

Only because you discuss about purAnAs, scriptures, Hinduism etc with your husband, you need your partner from your own religion.

For those who don't care about the above can easily marry someone from other faith, who also is not interested in his / her own religion!

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Prasad Sir,

Why not those with forward thinking have ONLY a registered wedding and save money?

They will not because preaching to others is very easy! :)

And those having interfaith marriage will have two different weddings and have more fun! :thumb:

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
A tambram guy said a big NO to any ritual, when he selected a Muslim girl as his soul mate.

His orthodox parents objected to his selection and the parents of the girl were NOT orthodox!

So, there was just a registration, in the company of the girl's parents and one member from the boy's family!
P.S: Money saved is money earned! :popcorn:

vgane

Based on overwhelming support we can promote the following in our forum:

1. Brahmin should marry Muslim or Christian but not Brahmin or Hindu
2. We should mock our Hindu religion, our rituals and Gods in this forum
3. We can dissolve anything having the word Brahmin

RIP

krish44

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Krish Sir,

We can easily say our rituals are mumbo jumbo, but when it comes to celebrations in our family,

the blame for this mumbo jumbo is put on the society and relatives! Cool attitude! :thumb:
you might think it is action not matching the words and thoughts.

how do you transact with those who do not agree with your views?

in democratic families one goes by majority views in the family.

my son wanted a thread ceremony before marriage. I never went thru one. My relative offered to stand in for me so

that he could have the ceremony. I coolly agreed to the proposition to someone else performing my role.lol

It is difficult to be non believer at personal level and yet be a participant in religeous functions in families.One learns

to live

with such compromises. we still require relatives and be part of a society whose thinking and views and practises are

different from ours. so one selectively compromises depending on need. It might be a few times in a lifetime.lol

it is like the single lady who said she was a virgin all her life except couple of times.lol

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
Widower and widow in the society are not treated in the same way Why..
Our society has changed considerably over the past few decades.

Let us hope there will be equality soon.

I find that women demean the widows
more than men! :sad:

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
Based on overwhelming support we can promote the following in our forum:

1. Brahmin should marry Muslim or Christian but not Brahmin or Hindu
3. We can dissolve anything having the word Brahmin
Dear Ganesh,

1. Some members are comfortable with I R weddings; but they do not say that brahmins should have I R weddings!

2. Don't you know that some members educate us that these are not mocking but FUN, which is not SIN! :(

3. But the word 'Brahmin' used to get five star status to the threads sometime back! :thumb:

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Renu,

Your wedding rituals were to please to your parents. Nice to hear this. :)

Only because you discuss about purAnAs, scriptures, Hinduism etc with your husband, you need your partner from your own religion.

For those who don't care about the above can easily marry someone from other faith, who also is not interested in his / her own religion!

dear RR ji,

My dad would have "killed" me if I did not agree for a religious ceremony!LOL

BTW I wanted a same religion spouse cos its easier to live with a fellow Hindu..I do not even actually follow any Hindu cultural practice so do you really think I will follow another faiths religious practice?

Its only a fellow Hindu spouse who will understand the differences of a mindset that is allowed in Hinduism...Not following culture or religion is not a crime in Hinduism but not following religion in some other faiths can mean a death sentence too.

I have seen some Hindu females married to Christian males and have to celebrate Christmas etc.

I do not even celebrate Diwali ..so now way I will ever agree to celebrate any other festivals.

So marrying a fellow Hindu is the best..we get to be what we want to be.

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Renu,

The daughter of my friend married a brahmin guy, who forced her to do daily poojA elaborately with 'madi' nine yard saree.

The girl could tolerate till a son was born to them and when she needed more time for the child, the guy started taunting her!

It soon ended in a break up though they are not divorced yet!

renuka

Gold Member
Gold Member
Dear Renu,

Hmmmm ..... Your husband is an :angel:.

Dear RR ji,

But he sort of knew my mind set cos during marriage proposal he asked me "why are you a vegetarian"

And I said "I am veg cos I love animals"

He was very happy with that answer and said 'I guess you must be a very compassionate person"

Later after marriage he told me that he was a bit afraid in case I was veg becos of religious reasons cos he said those who were too adherent to religion at times have a closed mindset and wanted a moderate person as his spouse..but then he got to know that I did not follow tradition or culture as much or even the required amount!LOL

You are right RR ji..he is an Angel...since opposites attract he married a DEVIL!LOL

Last edited:

auh

Instead of "mock", I think "logically introspect" should be ok... I think everybody should first introspect their own religion before starting on the other.

PIR (Peace, in rest) :)

Vaagmi

dear rajiramji

but they did have a wedding with some rituals, more fun ,frolic ,dancing bhangra style and crackers at mapillai

azaippu as in north india, booze parties for youngsters ,,and south indian nadaswaram, thaalis with different signs

peculiar to sub castes to which the bride and bridegroom happen to belong. there was both thaali tying and

sapthapadhi -the minimum requirements of a hindu marriage. In a democratic family one includes in a marriage

what everyone wants.marriage celebration means different things to different people.

Yes. There is booze parties for youngsters, thalis with different signs peculiar to subcastes because it is a "democratic family". And then comes the "liberal" advice (யாம் கெட்ட கேடு கெடுக இவ்வையகம்) that in such a family "one includes in a marriage "what everyone wants". Marriage celebration means different things to different people. WOW.

Every marriage (excluding vaishnavites marriages) starts with a ganapathy puja(in vaishnavite marriages it is vishwaksena aradhana). A pratima of Ganapathy is made with turmeric powder and Ganesh is requested to come and be present in it. Then He is offered Doopa, Deepa naivedhyam and blessings are sought to keep the marriage function a peaceful one without any hurdles.

Our friend's idea of a marriage appears to be a very different one. I am waiting for the day when a TB reports proudly a marriage involving a TB bride/groom ending up with a dinner in which chicken 60 (many may not know that the name for this dish comes from the underlying fact that poultry chicks which are just 60 days old are carefully chosen from the stock and they are fried because it is at this time of their growth that their flesh is most tasty), Kashmiri kosher mutton Biryani with chosen lamb meat pieces and choicest Karimeen and kappa from the Malayali gourmet's list were offered to the family members and guests and they all smoked pot before the party, ate well and went to bed with a full stomach at the end of the celebrations.

Poor Ganapathy. He had kept his promise of keeping the celebrations nirvignam. LOL.

These marriages are not TB marriages. They are marriages of sahibs' ghulams who know nothing about their culture, tradition or religion and try to ever imitate their sahibs no end. LOL.

Last edited:

krish44

Gold Member
Gold Member
vaagmiji
interesting post

I learn something everytime you post.

in case i get another iyer girl into my family, I shall add ganapathi puja in addition to vishwaksena aradhana.

in case there is some NV guests turn up at the wedding ,I shall also include some non veg items you have mentioned

to be separately served to them.why not?

marriages do not lose their legitamcy if they do not have vaagmijis'" stamp of approval.

Last edited:
OP
OP
prasad1

prasad1

Gold Member
Gold Member
vaagmiji
interesting post

I learn something everytime you post.

in case i get another iyer girl into my family, I shall add ganapathi puja in addition to vishwaksena aradhana.

in case there is some NV guests turn up at the wedding ,I shall also include some non veg items you have mentioned

to be separately served to them.why not?

marriages do not lose their legitamcy if they do not have vaagmijis'" stamp of approval.

served to them

Wow you are too liberal for me. LOL
In my family wedding we have had Iyyer-Iyyangar weddings. The priest from both side included what ever was suggested.
No alcohol and definitely no meat. I suppose it still did not get the stamp.:sad::pout::Cry:

Raji Ram

Gold Member
Gold Member
Not to worry, Prasad Sir! Krish Sir is your friend and when he arranges a 'liberal wedding', you will surely get the invitation. :welcome:

Please make sure that you get it well before the muhurtham, so that you can organize your flight tickets at cheapest rates! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for visiting TamilBrahmins.com

You seem to have an Ad Blocker on.

We depend on advertising to keep our content free for you. Please consider whitelisting us in your ad blocker so that we can continue to provide the content you have come here to enjoy.

Alternatively, consider upgrading your account to enjoy an ad-free experience along with numerous other benefits. To upgrade your account, please visit the account upgrades page

You can also donate financially if you can. Please Click Here on how you can do that.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks