• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

interesting article

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hariharan1972

forced to open a thread but hopefully i have given it a generic name for reuse.

came across this interesting article analysing the effect of the market era on the inequality suffered by dalits.

looks to me a good one

Rethinking Inequality: Dalits in Uttar Pradesh in the Market Reform Era

( thru this, to clarify, i am not suggesting that we have reached the desired state wrt treatment of dalits but this exercise atleast acknowledges that progress is happening which is the inconvenient truth for the likes of 'tamizh ina thalaivar' mu ka)

hari,

not sure if one needs to be a subscribed member to access the results....all i can see is this..

In the debates surrounding the consequences of India’s shift from a state-led to a market-oriented economic model, the issue of caste and caste practices, particularly for dalits, has been an empirical weak link. We draw on a unique survey designed and implemented by members of the dalit community to capture social practices and conditions important to them which are not featured in the usual household surveys. This survey asked all dalit households in two blocks of Uttar Pradesh (Azamgarh and Bulandshahar districts) both about conditions currently and in 1990. The survey results suggest that placing exclusive focus on measures of material well-being, such as consumption expenditure and its inequality, is misplaced as it misses important changes in socially structured inequalities and hence in individuals’ functioning.

kunjuppu sir,

kindly click the icon PDF next to print which will open a new window & you wd be even be able to save the file which i presume will be more convenient than reading online.

forced to open a thread but hopefully i have given it a generic name for reuse
This is way too generic, you are depriving us of a more pithy yet sufficiently generic title that I am sure you can come up with some to spare.

looks to me a good one
Running 11 pages it is somewhat daunting right now, but is sufficiently interesting that I can't just give it a pass. I will read it this weekend when I hope to have more time to spare. But, the following from the abstract makes me react,
"The survey results suggest that placing exclusive focus on measures of material well-being, such as consumption expenditure and its inequality, is misplaced as it misses important changes in socially structured inequalities and hence in individuals’ functioning."
come on, equality in both economic and social spheres is the imperative, not one or the other, but then I have not the article yet, so I shall reserve my comments. The authors of the article are of good repute, so they deserve at least a patient hearing.

( thru this, to clarify, i am not suggesting that we have reached the desired state wrt treatment of dalits but this exercise atleast acknowledges that progress is happening which is the inconvenient truth for the likes of 'tamizh ina thalaivar' mu ka)
Hari, you are beset with mu.ka aren't you? mu.ka deserves all the criticism directed at him, but he also deserves some credit for lifting the self-respect of a lot of people who were routinely suppressed as dumb idiots, capable of nothing more than menial endeavors.

Cheers!

I find that the efforts of the various governments in U.P. in the upliftment of the dalits, have enabled the target group to improve not only materially, but also socially. That seems to be an encouraging sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back