• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indigenous names of Indian Dharmas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Iyer

The word Hinduism is coined by the British to collectively refer to the assortment of various religous beliefs and faiths existing in India at the time of their rule. Whatever is referred to as Hinduism is a set of beliefs that have evolved over a long period of time. What began was the religion of the Vedas which was referred to as Sanatana Dharma. Over the ages there have been numerous transformations, additions, modifications, deletions, refinement etc etc to the erstwhile Sanatana Dharma which witnessed the emergence various other dharmas, some related and some unrelated to the Sanatana Dharma. For example Varnashrama Dharma is a later evolution owing to developments in society and structuring of society on varna lines.

I request the honorable members in this forum to discuss the various Dharmas which have evolved during the ages, their origin, their nature, the meaning of their names, how they were derived etc.

For example I wish someone throw light on the literal and figurative meaning of Sanatana Dharma. This may be extended to other Dharmas.

I think we need not stick to the term Hinduism, coined by the British, who are totally incompetent to comprehend the great concepts of our Dharmas and hence owing to their limited and narrow mind they went to the extent of coining the term Hinduism, which is inappropriate and which had created plenty of misunderstandings, chaos and confusion of our great dharmas.

Instead of discussing what Hinduism is and what Hinduism not is, let us discuss what our Dharmas are and let us educate and enlighten the world on our Dharmas. After all the dharmas of our great land are far superior and broader to be christened and confined as some 'ism'.

The word Hinduism is coined by the British to collectively refer to the assortment of various religous beliefs and faiths existing in India at the time of their rule. Whatever is referred to as Hinduism is a set of beliefs that have evolved over a long period of time. What began was the religion of the Vedas which was referred to as Sanatana Dharma. Over the ages there have been numerous transformations, additions, modifications, deletions, refinement etc etc to the erstwhile Sanatana Dharma which witnessed the emergence various other dharmas, some related and some unrelated to the Sanatana Dharma. For example Varnashrama Dharma is a later evolution owing to developments in society and structuring of society on varna lines.

I request the honorable members in this forum to discuss the various Dharmas which have evolved during the ages, their origin, their nature, the meaning of their names, how they were derived etc.

For example I wish someone throw light on the literal and figurative meaning of Sanatana Dharma. This may be extended to other Dharmas.

I think we need not stick to the term Hinduism, coined by the British, who are totally incompetent to comprehend the great concepts of our Dharmas and hence owing to their limited and narrow mind they went to the extent of coining the term Hinduism, which is inappropriate and which had created plenty of misunderstandings, chaos and confusion of our great dharmas.

Instead of discussing what Hinduism is and what Hinduism not is, let us discuss what our Dharmas are and let us educate and enlighten the world on our Dharmas. After all the dharmas of our great land are far superior and broader to be christened and confined as some 'ism'.

Shri Iyer,

The sanskrit word "sanaat" means from / of old, always, for ever. Sanaatana hence means everlasting, eternal. But in truth, this sanaatana dharma has not remained unchanged; it has undergone lots of changes, both minor and radical, from the earliest source to which it can be traced today, viz., the rigveda.

The rigvedic religion is mostly prayers to natural forces, envisaged as deities. The most important deity is indra and his killing of vritra is perhaps the most important theme contained in that veda. The extraction os juice of the soma plant which was offered as oblation in fire to the deities, and also drunk by the rigvedic priests, is yet another important aspect of their religion.

By the time the composition of the Yajurveda - as it is today - was completed, the rituals had become highly complex and specialize, demanding specialized classes of priests called brahma, hotru, adhvaryu, udgata, etc., and the zest for animal sacrifices reached a climax. These people - called "poorva meemaamsaka" today - seem to have believed that the yajna or yaaga involving the sacrifices of animals will, by themselves, earn "punya" for the people involved, to the yajamaanan mostly (and also to the various classes of priests). Human sacrifice was also not unknown and was called "naramedha" and the relative procedure is still available in the vaajasaneyi samhita, I understand. The belief that is still vigorous in the minds of hindus in general ( and brahmins specially) in conducting fire rituals like homas of various hues, is proof of the deep roots which this "sacrificial phase" has in people's mind even today.

When the wanton rage for sacrifices reached unbearable proportions, murmurs rose, in the form of upanishadic thoughts but not as outright rebellion, which was led by caarvaaka, mahaaveera and buddha. This gave a fillip to the upanishadic line too, of registering mild protests against the vedists, i.e., the yajna enthusiasts.

With the ascent of buddhism under asoka, the vedic religiom came under eclipse. the vedists had to find ways and means to ingratiate themselves into the society, without converting to buddhism; of course many notable buddhist philosophers were brahmin converts too. vegetarianism, abhorrence to eating meat, killing animals, etc., must have started during this eclipse. Side by side the puranas also originated with the objective of assimilating the various tribal/local beliefs which were still followed vigorously by different groups of people. During this phase new gods and goddesses arose in the main vedic religion. indra and other vedic deities lost their throne and one or the other of the gen next gods, like vishnu, siva, skanda, krishna and radha, devi, kali, narasimha, ganapathy, etc., became objects of worship. This was what the european indologists called pantheism, probably.

mahayana buddhism underwent an unexpected twist to incorporate "tantra" into itself. The vedists adopted these also and later toned down their tantric practices to levels tolerated by society. the credit for this is given to adi sankara.

In the aforesaid scenario, the word "dharma" comes in as a suffix to sanaatana only. Hence i don't think it will be possible to locate "dharmas" which will apply to modern conditions. whatever is practiced today in the name of hinduism is like the tailbone (coccyx) of humans - a stunted remnant of a once vigorous entity. It will not be possible to make any rules or concensus as to what the dharma of say, a man, a woman, a parent, a son/daughter should be nor will it be possible to lay down rules or norms of religious behaviour. It is best to silently witness the various ways in which "hinduism" is practised today, what it was in your childhood and, in case you are young enough, to see what all changes come in future.

It is this laissez faire attitude that is the most significant aspect of sanaatana dharma or hinduism, IMO.

Sri Sangom,

Very many thanks for your inputs. I welcome more inputs from you on how the present chaos and confusion in Hinduism crept in.

Please throw some more light and various changes radical or moderate it may be, that the Sanatana Dharma was subjected to.

I am able to accept the Sanatana Dharma as pure and pristine. But the modern day so-called-hinduism does not seem eternal and is lacking in Truth.

Regards,
Iyer

Sri. Iyer Sir,

Greetings. The word 'Hindu' was coined due to geographical reasons. Parsi language do not have a letter 'S'; they used the letter 'H' in the place of 'S'. Persians called 'Sindh' river by the name 'Hind' river. The persons lived beyond Sindh river became Hindus; the land beyound Sindh river became 'Hindustan'. Later on, the religion followed by the peole beyond Sindh river became 'Hinduism' for the Europeans.

If we should discuss 'dharmas', then we should as well discuss 'dharmas' from Hindus as well as non-Hindus. Why should we not chosse and mix the best of the dharmas from every where?

Cheers!

Sri Sangom,

Very many thanks for your inputs. I welcome more inputs from you on how the present chaos and confusion in Hinduism crept in.

Please throw some more light and various changes radical or moderate it may be, that the Sanatana Dharma was subjected to.

I am able to accept the Sanatana Dharma as pure and pristine. But the modern day so-called-hinduism does not seem eternal and is lacking in Truth.

Regards,
Iyer

Shri Iyer,

I tried to convey that there is no such thing called sanaatana dharma which has remained unchanged over the course of time. When you say you are "able to accept the Sanatana Dharma as pure and pristine", it is not clear to me as to which status of the sd you are referring to.

If at all one should call anything as sd, it should IMO be the religion or dharma as gleaned from the rigveda and its brahmanas only. But much of the minor details are lost to us today. Hence it will be next to impossible to resurrect it today. The rest are all changes, transformations according to the exigencies of the periods. Each previous generation must have been aghast at the downfall of "dharma" and would most probably have decried the decay of religion.

Perhaps if you elaborate what you mean by "the modern day so-called-hinduism", I amy be able to offer my views clearly.

Dear Sangom Sir,

By Sanatana Dharma, I meant the priniciples, virtues, values and practices as prescribed in the Vedas, especially the Rig, Yajur and Sama Veda. I think much of the practices in present day Hinduism evolved much later, in the ages following the Vedic period. There are numerous rituals now. There are a multitude of Gods and a motley crowd of so-called godmen, many of whom are self-styled. Anything and everything is accepted as part of Hinduism. There are many cult and occult groups who do not find and evidence in the Vedas. At this instance I cannot be specific as to what are the incongruent elements in the modern day Hinduism.

For instance when did the caste system evolve? Is Varnashrama Dharma in agreement with the Vedas? What relevance had Astrology in erstwhile days, during the period of Vedas? You have Vasthu Saastra, that Saastra, this Saastra and so on. A decade ago, not many people gave importance to Vaastu. In fact Vaastu was totally unheard of some decades ago, except among some elite circles.

Do all these find their origin, even remotely in the Vedas?

What lead to the degeneration of our society? What disintegrated the fabric?

Who some sections of the society are humiliated and harassed in the name of caste? Why are some so-called high caste people behaving inhuman towards some so-called low-caste people?

There are so many questions we can ponder over, discuss.

Regards,
Nagesh M

Dear Sangom Sir,

By Sanatana Dharma, I meant the priniciples, virtues, values and practices as prescribed in the Vedas, especially the Rig, Yajur and Sama Veda. I think much of the practices in present day Hinduism evolved much later, in the ages following the Vedic period. There are numerous rituals now. There are a multitude of Gods and a motley crowd of so-called godmen, many of whom are self-styled. Anything and everything is accepted as part of Hinduism. There are many cult and occult groups who do not find and evidence in the Vedas. At this instance I cannot be specific as to what are the incongruent elements in the modern day Hinduism.

For instance when did the caste system evolve? Is Varnashrama Dharma in agreement with the Vedas? What relevance had Astrology in erstwhile days, during the period of Vedas? You have Vasthu Saastra, that Saastra, this Saastra and so on. A decade ago, not many people gave importance to Vaastu. In fact Vaastu was totally unheard of some decades ago, except among some elite circles.

Do all these find their origin, even remotely in the Vedas?

What lead to the degeneration of our society? What disintegrated the fabric?

Who some sections of the society are humiliated and harassed in the name of caste? Why are some so-called high caste people behaving inhuman towards some so-called low-caste people?

There are so many questions we can ponder over, discuss.

Regards,
Nagesh M

Shri Nagesh,

The sum total of your query/dount will require a recounting of the entire evolutionary history of hinduism (I am using this term for the sake of convenience - it was not called hinduism in ancient times nor as sanaatana dharma.).

I tried to give a very short view in my post #2 above. I would suggest that as a first step you try to read this book. This is a free download. perhaps, we may discuss various points arising therefrom later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back