• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indians are reclaiming, and redefining, the idea of secularism

prasad1

They have withstood the government’s sticks and stones, threats of “revenge vows” and daily attempts to delegitimise and label them as “tukde tukde”, anti-national, groups with vested interests, creating a “fear psychosis”. For over a month now, India’s students, India’s women, and most prominently, India’s Muslims, have remained resilient in the face of brutal repression, armed with the Constitution, determined to reclaim their democratic rights.

One month on, what do these protests, now spread across many parts of the country, tell us about this current moment in India’s democracy? Are these protests no more than an inchoate and a leaderless response to the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA) that, in the absence of formal political organisation, will dissipate in the face of State repression? Or, do they hold out the possibility of shaping a new politics for India that restores meaning to constitutional values of secularism, equality and justice?

Writing in these pages days after Parliament passed the CAA and the protests began, I had argued that the greatest challenge for the movement against the CAA and its sinister twin, the National Register of Citizens (NRC), is that of reclaiming secularism and finding a new vocabulary through which to defend its cause. This is not an easy task. Competitive party politics has hollowed out the true value of secularism, leaving in its place an opportunistic politics of religion. Being “secular” has been reduced to a politics of religious appeasement and chasing vote banks, rather than affirming values of tolerance, equality and peaceful coexistence. Party politics has stripped secularism of its true meaning, and as a result, even committed “secularists” have shied away from the term, preferring the language of tolerance and pluralism.

But in this last month, secularism has slowly found its way back into the public discourse as a constitutional value worth fighting for. The word itself has made regular appearances on posters, and is now integral to the grammar of the current wave of protests. It has also made its presence felt loud and clear, in the repeated chanting of the Preamble of the Constitution, which is the rallying point of the protests. But it is at the now iconic Shaheen Bagh that secularism, and the idea of what it means for Indians to practice being “secular” in everyday life, has truly emerged with renewed vigour and meaning.

But does this spontaneous, protest-led reclamation of secularism hold the possibility of translating into a new politics, in the long term? Despite opposing the CAA and taking a strong stance at the state government-level , Opposition parties, particularly the Congress, have failed to seize the opportunity to generate a new discourse on secularism and democracy in to mainstream politics. This doesn’t leave much hope. But as sociologist Patrick Heller reminded me in a conversation recently, we should be careful not to reduce democracy to mere party politics. Democracy begins and its practice is strengthened in the interstices of associational life. What we are witnessing today is democracy in its truest sense. It may not disrupt the status quo immediately, but it holds the promise of a better future.

I was seeing a few videos where many Hindus were saying the CAA is the start for a Hindu Rashtra and Muslims can move to other muslim countries.
Then one guy was saying Jai Hindu Rashtra but when asked what CAA stands for..he first said Chartered Accountant then he was not sure of what CAA stands for.

At the ground level the average person thinks CAA is going to make India a Hindu Rashtra

I am surprised to note that India has divided itself yet again in a short time and emotions are ruling the mind.

I was seeing a few videos where many Hindus were saying the CAA is the start for a Hindu Rashtra and Muslims can move to other muslim countries.
Then one guy was saying Jai Hindu Rashtra but when asked what CAA stands for..he first said Chartered Accountant then he was not sure of what CAA stands for.

At the ground level the average person thinks CAA is going to make India a Hindu Rashtra

I am surprised to note that India has divided itself yet again in a short time and emotions are ruling the mind.

Hindu Indians Looks like they were just lying low, as the country was enamored with Mahatma-Nehru-Patel-Azad philosophy of Secularism. RSS was a banned organization as they supported the killing of Gandhi, and did not participate in the Independence movement.

Just as Caucasian Americans went along with Civil Rights till Trump or maybe till Obama. But the true color is only now coming out.

Similarly, these closet Muslim hating Hindus are coming out with vengeance.
The present government, just to be in power is stoking the Hindu passion for their own power.
It is a dangerous game, the flames may get out of control.

They are openly saying that India is a Hindu Nation. I am ashamed that even in my family this is the thought.

Hindu Indians Looks like they were just lying low, as the country was enamored with Mahatma-Nehru-Patel-Azad philosophy of Secularism. RSS was a banned organization as they supported the killing of Gandhi, and did not participate in the Independence movement.

Just as Caucasian Americans went along with Civil Rights till Trump or maybe till Obama. But the true color is only now coming out.

Similarly, these closet Muslim hating Hindus are coming out with vengeance.
The present government, just to be in power is stoking the Hindu passion for their own power.
It is a dangerous game, the flames may get out of control.

They are openly saying that India is a Hindu Nation. I am ashamed that even in my family this is the thought.

Yes..this shows that hatred lies dormant in each human and only when the coast is clear and back up support is there they show their fangs.

I have been reading the white supremacy comments too and the so called civilised whites too are spewing venom.

All these shows the average human regardless of race or religion or caste or creed is far from evolved.

So its actually a shame to the human race to have hatred lying dormant...just goes to show that tons of avatars or prophets can come but the average human is impossible to up lift...no wonder Krishna says Yuge Yuge God would descend..cos He knows no use coming everyday ...nothing would change.

The fact is CAA is just a data base of citizens yet everyone both Hindus and Muslims are turning it into a religious phenomenon.

Even FB sites are digging up all history of massacre of Hindus/Sikhs by invaders in gory detail and everyone reacts by saying " lets kick out the " others" etc.
Its scary.
Totally lost my faith in humanity.

Yes..this shows that hatred lies dormant in each human and only when the coast is clear and back up support is there they show their fangs.

I have been reading the white supremacy comments too and the so called civilised whites too are spewing venom.

All these shows the average human regardless of race or religion or caste or creed is far from evolved.

So its actually a shame to the human race to have hatred lying dormant...just goes to show that tons of avatars or prophets can come but the average human is impossible to up lift...no wonder Krishna says Yuge Yuge God would descend..cos He knows no use coming everyday ...nothing would change.

The fact is CAA is just a data base of citizens yet everyone both Hindus and Muslims are turning it into a religious phenomenon.

Even FB sites are digging up all history of massacre of Hindus/Sikhs by invaders in gory detail and everyone reacts by saying " lets kick out the " others" etc.
Its scary.
Totally lost my faith in humanity.

I don't think the only reason is hatred was lying dormant and it is suddenly maisfesting now. This does not explain the new gen kids spewing hatred all over social media.

It is targetted propaganda via mainstream media, social media, and personal whatsapp msgs. Not to forget, these right wing bigots send negative thought waves all the time to mind rig the Hindus into hating the Muslims.

I wouldn’t say Hindus support CAA iin general. If Hindus think so, then they have to realize that BJP is not doing these to help Hindus instead to pave a way for them to be in power.

Latest ads

Back