• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Indian City Becomes First Vegetarian City in the World

Status
Not open for further replies.

October 13, 2014

Worldcrunch reports a historic change in Palitana, an Indian city, which has become the first all-vegetarian city in the world.

Behind this revolutionary change are the Jain monks who went on a hunger strike to pressure the state of Gujarat to outlaw animal slaughter in their city. The hunger strike was successful and the Gujarat government imposed a ban on animal slaughter and outlawed the sale of meat and eggs.

About 5 million people in India practice Jainism and agree with the ban.

Virat Sagar Maharaj, a Jain monk, says, “Everyone in this world – whether animal or human being or a very small creature – has all been given the right to live by God.”

As individuals, the best thing you can do to protect animals is to adopt a kind vegan lifestyle. For more information and tips for transitioning to a vegan diet, check out ChooseVeg.com.

https://donlichterman.wordpress.com...-monica-hosts-worlds-first-vegan-oktoberfest/

Please also read from here

In India, The World's First Vegetarian City

I am vegetarian, and I deeply care about animals.
I do not know whether i would like to live in such a controlled environment. Tomorrow someone will object to "puli" or Hing and I can not have my Sambar.

Last edited:
In many temple towns slaughtering and selling meat is not allowed in areas around the temple. It is heartening to note that jains stick to their way of life wherever possible. Move to make palitana meat free has been going on for quite some time.

In mumbai, one abattoir was shut down last week. A group of karmaveers who collected and protested in front of the gate every morning for over 35 years, and symbolically stopped a truck carrying cows for slaughter broke their protest with cheer and smiles.

Let the jain community prosper and make more of their religious centres and temple towns meat free.

October 13, 2014

Worldcrunch reports a historic change in Palitana, an Indian city, which has become the first all-vegetarian city in the world.

Behind this revolutionary change are the Jain monks who went on a hunger strike to pressure the state of Gujarat to outlaw animal slaughter in their city. The hunger strike was successful and the Gujarat government imposed a ban on animal slaughter and outlawed the sale of meat and eggs.

About 5 million people in India practice Jainism and agree with the ban.

Virat Sagar Maharaj, a Jain monk, says, “Everyone in this world – whether animal or human being or a very small creature – has all been given the right to live by God.”

As individuals, the best thing you can do to protect animals is to adopt a kind vegan lifestyle. For more information and tips for transitioning to a vegan diet, check out ChooseVeg.com.

https://donlichterman.wordpress.com...-monica-hosts-worlds-first-vegan-oktoberfest/

Please also read from here

In India, The World's First Vegetarian City

Why would you give up your freedom to choose. People sacrificed their life for this privilege to us, why would i trade it for some life style.

While touring gujarat i find many muslim hotels serving pure vegetrian dishes only. Though the proprietor is
a muslim they serve veg. Food only.
It is a hats off to pm modi and people of gujarat. Will it spread to all states slowly? The liquor shops are to be closed first to uplift poor people from sickness and poverty
[email protected]

Veg

While touring gujarat i find many muslim hotels serving pure vegetrian dishes only. Though the proprietor is
a muslim they serve veg. Food only.
It is a hats off to pm modi and people of gujarat. Will it spread to all states slowly? The liquor shops are to be closed first to uplift poor people from sickness and poverty
[email protected]

Been to Jordan sometime back and surprised to find the number of vegetarian dishes they have. Also many muslims are outside food to be non-halal, so they prefer to take vegetarian food instead of the questionable non-veg food. Good some animals are left to live longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back