• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India Post released Commemorative Postage Stamp on Indian Ocean and Rajendra Chola I

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is till a mystery why rajendra built a second capital, when his father was alive and ruling from tanavur.

The three days International Conference titled “India & the Indian Ocean: Renewing the Maritime Trade & Civilisational Linkages”, was inaugurated by Smt. Sushma Swaraj, Minister of External Affairs along with Chief Minister of Odisha Shri Naveen Patnaik and Shri Dharmendra Pradhan, the chief patron of the conference and Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas on 20th March 2015 at Bhubaneshwar.

Smt. Sushma Swaraj, Minister of External Affairs and Chief Minister of Odisha Shri Naveen Patnaik jointly released the commemorative stamp on ‘Indian Ocean and Rajendra Chola I’ during the inauguration function on 20th March 2015 at Bhubaneshwar. The stamp is priced at Rs. 5 and depicts the ocean and a statue of the king who was extremely powerful and reigned most of South East Asia in the early 11th century. The stamp also commemorates the 1000th anniversary of the coronation of ancient Tamil King Rajendra Chola I.

Rajendra Chola I (Rajendra Chola the Great) was the son of Rajaraja Chola I and considered one of the greatest rulers and military leaders of the Indian Tamil Chola Empire. He succeeded his father in 1014 CE as the Chola emperor. During his reign, he extended the influences of the already vast Chola Empire up to the banks of the river Ganges in north India and across the ocean. Rajendra’s territories extended, the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Sri Lanka, Maldives, and he successfully invaded the territories of Srivijaya in Malaysia, Southern Thailand and Indonesia in South East Asia with his fleet of ships. Inscriptions and historical sources assert that the Medieval Chola king Rajendra Chola I sent a naval expedition to Indochina, the Malay Peninsula and Indonesia in 1025 in order to subdue Srivijaya.

India Post released Commemorative Postage Stamp on Indian Ocean and Rajendra Chola I - SA POST
200315indianoceancholaking.jpg

i dont know why more indian navy ships not named after tamil kings. if you reallylook at it, while the north india empires were land based, it was the tamil one that ventured out into the sea, conquered south east asia, had trade links with arabia, china greece and rome.

we were the first truly indian navy and the paradhavars the first community of admirals of those ships.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back