• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

I misguided notion of preserving TB culture USA way

prasad1

We went to a TB wedding.
The girl's family is from OMR Chennai.
The boy's family is from the USA.
It was an arranged marriage.
The wedding was to begin at 2 pm on a Sunday (Note the time).
There was a Temple priest who is a graduate of Shri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, Kanchipuram (He was introduced as such).
The priest found out that the Boy did not have a Poonal, so the priest hurriedly did a Poonal ceremony (or a charade) for the boy.
We were given a program Brochure, and we were warned that Mangalya Dharanam is one of the steps in marriage, but Saptapadhi was the True marriage. We were told that till the sptapadhi os not concluded it is not a marriage.

My the time the Saptapadhi started it was 4:45 PM on a Sunday (in the rahu Kalam).

After the marriage, it was a cocktail and dinner.
We wish a happy married life to the young couple.

We went to a TB wedding.
The girl's family is from OMR Chennai.
The boy's family is from the USA.
It was an arranged marriage.
The wedding was to begin at 2 pm on a Sunday (Note the time).
There was a Temple priest who is a graduate of Shri Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam, Kanchipuram (He was introduced as such).
The priest found out that the Boy did not have a Poonal, so the priest hurriedly did a Poonal ceremony (or a charade) for the boy.
We were given a program Brochure, and we were warned that Mangalya Dharanam is one of the steps in marriage, but Saptapadhi was the True marriage. We were told that till the sptapadhi os not concluded it is not a marriage.

My the time the Saptapadhi started it was 4:45 PM on a Sunday (in the rahu Kalam).

After the marriage, it was a cocktail and dinner.
We wish a happy married life to the young couple.
hi

this is common practice in many USA WEDDINGS....including tamil brahmin weddings....we know one tamil

brahmin orthodox family...their son conducted durin mahalaya paksham(PITHRU PAKSHAM).....many

wedding started on RAHU KALAM AND ENDING IN RAHU KALAM....MAINLY SUNDAY EVENINGS...

ESPECIALLY ON LONG WEEKENDS....COCKTAIL PARTY/DANCING IS VERY IMPORTANT THAN RELIGIOUS

CEREMONY....RELIGIOUS CEREMONY IS JUST PART OF WEDDING...

Usually for any continuous rituals it is only start of the time should not be rahu kalam. Also nowadays why priest/ sastri says that marriage ceremony will be fulfilled only after saptapathi otherwise people started giving hand shake photo/ video posing going on endlessly and they could not finish the ritual of saptapathi and others to follow mangalya dharanam. And hence the way you have quoted is not wrong in line of doing ceremonies.

Hmm..

Now..

Let me think..

Should I really enlighten the erudite scholar who started this thread about the fundamentals of how panchangam is written and how auspicious times are calculated based on the position of the place I. E. Lattitude and longitude on earth..?

NOoooo....

That would result in their realising that rahu kaalam and such times are not the same across the continents of the earth..

It might make the person feel like putting his foot in his mouth and still show his set of 32 teeth..

Nope..

It is not my intention to make the author of this exceptional thread look supremely asinine..

So I will just keep quiet.

Thanks..

Dear Prasad

I also live in the west and totally agree with your sentiments. All this last minute poonool, Cocktail party all bothers me. but now, writing a brochure supposedly educating the invitees about saptapadi etc, hurridly putting on a poonool even if the boy never lived as a brahmin, having cokctail parties all and more have become the norm for brahmins migrating to the west. So Iam not surprised the wedding extended into rahu kalam. ennatha solli ennathai seiya.

If you violate all religious tenets what is left of you...A sham marriage....For you society is more important than tradition....What a facade....I would have appreciated if you would have followed tradition in your wedding...You could have given a party to your friends in the evening

Sir,
These are not one off incidents that we can brush off and neglect. One thing is certain, definitely we are on the self destruction mode already. One drop of tear and a pinch on the heart is all what we can contribute now.

Sir,
These are not one off incidents that we can brush off and neglect. One thing is certain, definitely we are on the self destruction mode already. One drop of tear and a pinch on the heart is all what we can contribute now.
Very true...But no body seems to listen

Sir,

I feel sorry for our own community. No wonder we are becoming laughing stock in the eyes of other Communities. There are incidents like some get united under Registered marriage in USA and come to India as they get time to marry again with religious ceremonies, spending huge amount. I do not understand what we are trying to satisfy or prove by such theatrics.
The Vedic weddings of Brahmins are conducted in the presence of Agni under sacramental vows. Eight types of weddings seem to have been approved by the Hindu Society. They are; Brahma, Daiva, Arsha, Prajapatya, Gandharva, Asura, Rakshasa and Paishaca. Perhaps this mode will become Ninth.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

I feel sorry for our own community. No wonder we are becoming laughing stock in the eyes of other Communities. There are incidents like some get united under Registered marriage in USA and come to India as they get time to marry again with religious ceremonies, spending huge amount. I do not understand what we are trying to satisfy or prove by such theatrics.
The Vedic weddings of Brahmins are conducted in the presence of Agni under sacramental vows. Eight types of weddings seem to have been approved by the Hindu Society. They are; Brahma, Daiva, Arsha, Prajapatya, Gandharva, Asura, Rakshasa and Paishaca. Perhaps this mode will become Ninth.

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.
There is one more model too that is neither registered or religious performance of marriage after live in relationship at elsewhere and perform rituals in india

Latest ads

Back