• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Humble request to standardize Sanskrit to English transliteration!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a very humble request to follow any ONE standard convention when transliterating Sanskrit [samskRta] to English. The use of personal, idiosyncratic and unique phonetic schemes dreamt up by each one according to his or her fancy or pronunciation or inability to pronounce many phonemes creates a terrible mess.

Even the Kamakoti Peetham is guilty of laziness and carelessness in not bothering, not caring, whether or not the material they send out to the world is accurately received. This is amazing considering how scrupulously we have maintained the phonetic purity of our Vaidika heritage. Sadly, in modern Bharatavarsha, laxity, and a chalta-hai attitude pervades every sphere of activity, and indiscipline and chaos appear to be our guiding dharma.

The schemes are not difficult to acquire. Aspirated and UNASPIRATED consonants are bugbears for many claiming Tamil as their mother tongue and it is important to not throw in "h" and various English consonants at will to transliterate Sanskrit, imaginary vowels to stand in for presumed equivalence: what on earth is "SthOThram" ? What relevance has an upper case "O" here and what might a lower case signify to the author? Why the different cases for the "t" and why "h"s used with abandon, thus disallowing differentiation among the palatals, cerebrals, etc. : t, th, T, Th, d, dh, D, Dh ....

Conventions exist because thoughtful people have thought long and hard and created systems that work! And work with relative ease! If I want to learn how to make dosa and idli I should go to Madurai and study the conventions created by patient effort by generations of masters, and NOT turn on Pakistan television and see all manner of ad hoc improvisation, e.g. chana [chickpea] dal etc. being used in dosai, and many other recipes.

A Sikh reastaurant owner where I live in America throws together split green soup peas in the most absurd and horrific rendition of sambar because he just does not give a damn. You need to eat his dosa to truly understand how idiotic, perverse and truly horrible a human being and his creations can possibly be.

That is EXACTLY my feeling when I read these mutilated, PERVERSE, deliberately destructive transliterations that a few moments would have made intelligible. After all, how difficult is it to prepare a reasonably edible Sambar? Even I can do it from scratch, dry and wet masalas included. So, how difficult can a transliteration be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back