• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Homeopathy not effective for treating any condition, Australian report finds

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my family members is suffering from Migraine for past 10 years..Homeopathy was tried but in vain...Another one is suffering from sinus problem..Homeopathy did not give any perceptible benefit or solution...

Reading this article will clear the misconceptions about Homeopathy...Did any of you have ever tried this alternative medicine?

Homeopathy not effective for treating any condition, Australian report finds

Report by top medical research body says ‘people who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments’

Homeopathy-pills-007.jpg
Australia’s National Health and Medical Research Council hopes report will discourage private health insurers from offering rebates on homeopathic treatments. Photograph: Alix/Phanie/Rex Features Photograph: Alix / Phanie / Rex Features/Alix / Phanie / Rex Features Melissa Davey

Wednesday 11 March 2015

Homeopathy is not effective for treating any health condition, Australia’s top body for medical research has concluded, after undertaking an extensive review of existing studies.

Homeopaths believe that illness-causing substances can, in minute doses, treat people who are unwell.

By diluting these substances in water or alcohol, homeopaths claim the resulting mixture retains a “memory” of the original substance that triggers a healing response in the body.

These claims have been widely disproven by multiple studies, but the National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) has for the first time thoroughly reviewed 225 research papers on homeopathy to come up with its position statement, released on Wednesday.

“Based on the assessment of the evidence of effectiveness of homeopathy, NHMRC concludes that there are no health conditions for which there is reliable evidence that homeopathy is effective,” the report concluded.

“People who choose homeopathy may put their health at risk if they reject or delay treatments for which there is good evidence for safety and effectiveness.”
An independent company also reviewed the studies and appraised the evidence to prevent bias.

Chair of the NHMRC Homeopathy Working Committee, Professor Paul Glasziou, said he hoped the findings would lead private health insurers to stop offering rebates on homeopathic treatments, and force pharmacists to reconsider stocking them.

“There will be a tail of people who won’t respond to this report, and who will say it’s all a conspiracy of the establishment,” Glasziou said.

“But we hope there will be a lot of reasonable people out there who will reconsider selling, using or subsiding these substances.”

While some studies reported homeopathy was effective, the quality of those studies was poor and suffered serious flaws in their design, and did not have enough participants to support the idea that homeopathy worked any better than a sugar pill, the report found.

In making its findings the NHMRC also analysed 57 systematic reviews, a high-quality type of study that assesses all existing, quality research on a particular topic and synthesises it to make a number of strong, overall findings.
Glasziou said homeopathy use declined in the UK following a House of Commons report released in 2010 which found the treatments were ineffective, and that he hoped the NHMRC report would have a similar effect in Australia.

Dr Ken Harvey, a medicinal drug policy expert and health consumer advocate, said private colleges were charging thousands of dollars for courses in homeopathy, and he hoped students would reconsider taking them.

The government’s Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA) should stop accrediting homeopathic courses, he said, while the private health insurance rebate should be not be offered on any policies covering homeopathy and other unproven treatments.

“I have no problems with private colleges wanting to run courses on crystal-ball gazing, iridology and homeopathy, and if people are crazy enough to pay for it, it’s their decision,” Harvey said.

“But if those courses are approved by a commonwealth body, that’s a different story and a real problem.”

Approved courses are reviewed by TESQA every seven years, with its own guidelines stating the content of a course should be “drawn from a substantial, coherent and current body of knowledge and scholarship in one or more academic disciplines and includes the study of relevant theoretical frameworks and research findings”.

A TESQA spokesperson said independent experts were used to assess whether or not a course complied with its standards. He said homeopathy courses already accredited would not be re-evaluated in light of the NHMRC’s findings, and would only be reviewed when their accreditation was next due for renewal.
In a statement responding to the NHMRC report, the Australian Homeopathic Association (AHA) claimed around a million Australians used homeopathy.
However, the NHMRC states there are no reliable estimates of Australians’ current use of homeopathic medicines, though a 2009 World Health Organisation review found Australians spent an estimated $9.59m on the industry annually.

“The Australian Homeopathic Association recommend to the NHMRC that it take a more comprehensive approach to the analysis of homeopathy’s efficacy, and consider a large-scale economic evaluation of the benefits of a more integrated system and one which respects and advocates patient choice in healthcare provision,” the AHA said.

Homeopathy not effective for treating any condition, Australian report finds | Life and style | The Guardian

I somehow dislike views that are strictly one sided...that is main stream medicine says alternative medicine does not work and alternative medicine says that main stream medicine does more harm than good.

As a medical practitioner of any kind one should have an open mind to have a give and take policy that sometimes evidence base isnt always 100% accurate.

We also need to take into consideration the vested interest of the pharmaceutical industry and their players who might want to down play certain aspects of alternative medicine to promote a new drug.

At the same time I have noted many Ayurvedic practitioners are not well informed about the side effects and drug interactions of their medication.

They proudly claim that anything herbal does not have a side effect.

That is purely cock and bull cos for every action there is a reaction and they is nothing in this world that does not have a side effect when consumed but its when the benefits outweigh the side effects that we consider a drug or medication safe.

So frankly speaking if someone tells me that Homeopathy does not work..I will tell them Go Fly Kites and if someone else tells me that Homeopathy does not have side effects I will tell them to Get lost!

One needs to have the right balance in life..to consider all options especially when one really needs to get better.

Dear Ganesh,

This is not about homeopathy medicine but an alternate one called
'Solar powered water treatment'.

I was suffering from migraine two decades back and came across a book which gives the above said treatment for various

ailments. It was very simple to follow. Fill up three fourths of a green glass bottle (we get them easily from used bottle shops!)

with drinking water and keep in the sunlight to 'charge' for 8 hours. This 'charge' will last for 4 days. On rainy days, we can

charge the water with a 100 watts white electric bulb for 8 hours.
200 ml of this should be taken soon after getting up in the

morning in empty stomach.
After two months of this treatment, the migraine did not reoccur. It worked for me! :cool:

But, m
y doctor brother said that my faith had THE healing power more than the charged water! :)

Dear Ganesh,

This is not about homeopathy medicine but an alternate one called
'Solar powered water treatment'.

I was suffering from migraine two decades back and came across a book which gives the above said treatment for various

ailments. It was very simple to follow. Fill up three fourths of a green glass bottle (we get them easily from used bottle shops!)

with drinking water and keep in the sunlight to 'charge' for 8 hours. This 'charge' will last for 4 days. On rainy days, we can

charge the water with a 100 watts white electric bulb for 8 hours.
200 ml of this should be taken soon after getting up in the

morning in empty stomach.
After two months of this treatment, the migraine did not reoccur. It worked for me! :cool:

But, m
y doctor brother said that my faith had THE healing power more than the charged water! :)

Dear Raji Madam,

Thanks for sharing this...I shall ask the person to try this

Dear Vgane Ji,

Let me share with you on how I managed to control my cluster headache.

Before that cluster headache is almost a 10x worse than migrane..it is also called Suicide headache cos many people commit suicide becos of the intense pain.

So I feel you can understand how painful this would be...its also comes with visual symptoms.

Ok migrane and cluster headache are neurological in origin.

For me no medication really worked and I did not want to take some of the medication prescribed cos it had severe side effects.

So I sought some Ayurvedic advice and I was asked to modify my diet and stop all milk products right away.. No milk or yogurt or anything dairy but only ghee is allowed.I was also asked to stop taking wheat products.

Also regular yoga is advocated for general well being.

Mung dhall is recommended and almond milk can be consumed for over all well being.

If your relative is willing to stop milk products for a while and do regular Yoga in the morning may be he/she might improve.

I am pain free these days.

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

It is again faith and yoga that actually healed!

I have heard of some vegans who get migraine! :sad:

Dear Renu,

It is again faith and yoga that actually healed!

I have heard of some vegans who get migraine! :sad:

Dear RR ji,

Stopping milk really helped cure my cluster headache to a great extent.

According to Ayurveda for some individuals milk increases chances of headaches.

Faith..I have no idea but Yoga for sure helped a lot.

Dear Vgane Ji,

Let me share with you on how I managed to control my cluster headache.

Before that cluster headache is almost a 10x worse than migrane..it is also called Suicide headache cos many people commit suicide becos of the intense pain.

So I feel you can understand how painful this would be...its also comes with visual symptoms.

Ok migrane and cluster headache are neurological in origin.

For me no medication really worked and I did not want to take some of the medication prescribed cos it had severe side effects.

So I sought some Ayurvedic advice and I was asked to modify my diet and stop all milk products right away.. No milk or yogurt or anything dairy but only ghee is allowed.I was also asked to stop taking wheat products.

Also regular yoga is advocated for general well being.

Mung dhall is recommended and almond milk can be consumed for over all well being.

If your relative is willing to stop milk products for a while and do regular Yoga in the morning may be he/she might improve.

I am pain free these days.

Thank you so much Renukaji..Shall give this idea too!

At the same time I have noted many Ayurvedic practitioners are not well informed about the side effects and drug interactions of their medication.

They proudly claim that anything herbal does not have a side effect.

True there is a widespread notion that anything herbal or anything to do with alternative medicine is great and free of side effects and anything to do with modren medicine is faulty . Problem is lot of people with superfcial knowledge in Ayurveda , Naturopathy , Homeopathy after attending few daily / weekly disploma courses take on the role of Doctors and start advising others and also start giving consultations . Recently an Australian friend of mine attended few weeks of Hoeopathy Course in India and after couple of weeks of practice as the place where she did her learning went back to Australia and she is now advertising herself as a Homeopathy Doctor . I am not telling that she is a quack but afarid that she will do more harm through her superfical knowledge of homeopathy . Same applies to practitioners of other alternative healing methods - ayurveda , siddha , acupuncture , acupressure etc . It is better that people thoroughly study them and then practice and not play the role of Doctors after few weeks of study .

True there is a widespread notion that anything herbal or anything to do with alternative medicine is great and free of side effects and anything to do with modren medicine is faulty . Problem is lot of people with superfcial knowledge in Ayurveda , Naturopathy , Homeopathy after attending few daily / weekly disploma courses take on the role of Doctors and start advising others and also start giving consultations . Recently an Australian friend of mine attended few weeks of Hoeopathy Course in India and after couple of weeks of practice as the place where she did her learning went back to Australia and she is now advertising herself as a Homeopathy Doctor . I am not telling that she is a quack but afarid that she will do more harm through her superfical knowledge of homeopathy . Same applies to practitioners of other alternative healing methods - ayurveda , siddha , acupuncture , acupressure etc . It is better that people thoroughly study them and then practice and not play the role of Doctors after few weeks of study .

I think like allopathy alternate system of medicine should allow practice only after gaining adequate experience..May be the rules are lax

There is no harm following alternative medicine if the practitioners are well informed about the potential side effects.

Recently I dealt with a reputed Ayurvedic centre finding out about treatment for a condition of one of my relatives and surprisingly the practitioners kept saying herbal based medication do NOT have side effects!

So I did not proceed cos I asked them for case study data and they could not provide me.

There is actually no excuse cos I have read up some Ayurvedic books before and the text does talk about side effects..for example Ashwagandha is used to treat stress,anxiety and depression but it has a potential to increase the Thyroid hormone levels and those with pre existing elevated Thyroid levels are not advised to take Ashwagandha.

Its clearly given in the Ayurvedic books but if you ask a Ayurvedic practitioner he would say "No No..its herbal..No side effects!"

So the blame is on the practitioners who are not well informed!

NHS sends patients to india for expensive surgeries and post operation recovery. They can try alternate medicine. The pressure by the pharma companies is too intense to ignore.

Anyway indians are wise, and ayurveda and homeopathy are preferred by individuals and in some multi discipline hospitals.

Homeo withdrawn from National Health scheme If any improvent observed it is placebo! Science and Technology Committee - UK Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back