• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

High demand for ‘non-violent’ Durga idols this Puja Shounak Ghosal

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

This Durga Puja, don't be stumped if you can't spot the Mahishasura. Or if you see the Goddess holding flowers in her hands instead of weapons. While Puja organizers are aggressively trying to go one up on their rivals, the idols are turning 'non-violent' at several popular venues. And in keeping with themes, the version of Ma Durga in your para could well be ghagra-clad or have shades of Ajanta-Ellora.

"With changing times, we too are bringing in subtle changes to our art. Earlier we had earthen platforms but now, to boost stability of the idol, we are using plywood. The focus of most Puja organizers today is on glitter, so our work trends too are getting modernized in keeping with the demand," Uttam Pal, a Kumartuli idol-maker. "Today, almost all major Pujas have themes. But as artists, we always prefer traditional idols. Theme is plain business while the traditional is pure art. So we try to maintain a balance. Many people get retouched photos and ask us to replicate them," said Subhankar Pal, another artisan.

Mahishasura is falling out of favour. While there were specific instructions on the look of the demon, in many cases now we have only the head of the 'mahish'. In a traditional Puja, Ma Durga has weapons in her 10 hands but more and more people are coming in asking them to be replaced by flowers," said Subhankar. He pointed out to an idol he is giving the final touches to. "You can see here that Mahishasura, instead of trying to attack the Goddess, is worshipping her," he added.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...urga-idols-this-Puja/articleshow/40525937.cms
Is it same? Mahisasuramardani is loosing the Mahisasur, is it in the name of Art?
Is it sacrilege?

Last edited:
Good! Finally we have friendly looking Goddesses.

Its high time Goddesses have a make over and a How Do I look moment!

But if we look at it from a different angle may the violent looking images of a Goddess sing an unheard song of the Indian female.

The Indian female is expected to be docile and a door mat..the only way the "feminine force" can exert herself is being a "Violent Goddess"..it seems to me the violence portrayed on the faces of Goddesses is a silent cry of the docile women of India.

It gives a temporary boost to a female to see a Powerful Capable Goddess..something she can never hope to be because of dictates of society.

Now when roles are getting reversed that women in India are getting empowered the need for a violent looking Goddess does not arise..hence a Non Violent Serene Goddess would appeal.

Last edited:
கால பைரவன்;257630 said:
People can worship God in any form they like to worship but to reduce Mahisashuramardini to just a "violent" God as the article does is plain mischievous.

Sri KB

It is a 'deadly' combination of ignorance, stupidity, arrogance and mischief that the author displays in my view.

Hindu forms of worship are all symbolic and Puja & other rituals are all about role plays.

Role playing is a well known teaching method in many disciplines like Management, and Psychology. Role plays when done with sincerity for the right message is very helpful for our growth.

What is depicted as killing an asura is both symbolic in destruction of ignorance and symbolic depiction of protection that only a mother feels and offers for her child.

A mother role even in animals brings out its protective nature if its offsprings may be harmed.

I once saw a bear with its cubs taking a stroll while we were driving by. We tried to take some pictures and we were warned to not stop even at a distance because the mother bear appeared to be giving a ferocious look since its protection instincts were triggered.

Mother Durga is worshipped for the symbolism of unconditional protection of a mother's children.

Those who view the form only to sense violence are clueless

indian women are already in makeover mode . they won medals in shooting , wrestling , and such sports in commonwealth games

more ladies are fixing men for crimes against them .

they might end up with 33 percent reservation in parliament

we have two powerful CMs who are ladies

so Goddesses have to match the new indian women and undergoing a makeover in tune with changing times

indian women are already in makeover mode . they won medals in shooting , wrestling , and such sports in commonwealth games

more ladies are fixing men for crimes against them .

they might end up with 33 percent reservation in parliament

we have two powerful CMs who are ladies

so Goddesses have to match the new indian women and undergoing a makeover in tune with changing times

Very true...but I fully support the make over of Hindu Goddesses...we have to keep sentiments out here.

A mother does not have to have a weapon in her hand to protect her child.

The Indian pysche needs to grow up..we need to stopped being suckled and have an Amma fixation.

We need balls of steel that can think and not be a Brain Deaddo!

Technically none of us have seen a Goddess so what we see could be a product of a symbolic over active imagination.

Imagine if our mother went around with weapons? None of us would have stayed with our mothers!LOL

The greatest weapon in this world is LOVE.

When we see a picture or an idol of Lord Buddha..a total peaceful feeling of calmness descends on us.

That is love in action..that transforms into peace.

So why should a Goddess be portrayed as Super Violent in the name of protecting Her children?

No valid reason..in fact at times this gives Hinduism a Bad Name..that we project images of violence yet talk about Ahimsa!

So off with the Mahisasura..one should focus on Love and not Violence.

Symbolism has it limits.

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

All the stories about Gods and Goddesses are already written and you can not re-write them.

But in all these stories, 'good' winning 'evil' is only depicted and not vice versa! :)

Dear Renu,

All the stories about Gods and Goddesses are already written and you can not re-write them.

But in all these stories, 'good' winning 'evil' is only depicted and not vice versa! :)

Dear RR ji,

Agreed but there is no solid proof too that all these actually happened as depicted even if it's all about symbolism.

Image is important..so a Make Over is needed..there is no harm in that..it will just be a new artistic impression.

So now we have to look for some peaceful looking entities to call God.

Many times I have heard Non Hindus ask:

1)Why does your Goddess have such a long tongue?

2)Why is your Goddess holding a beheaded person?

What are we to say? Explain the symbolism like the Wolf of the Little Red Riding Hood story..

Remember this line from that story..

Red Riding Hood: Why do you have such big teeth Grandmother?

Wolf: All the better to eat you!

So what are we to say when someone asks us "Why does your God have such a long tongue?"

I dont want to be giving answers like Little Red Riding Hood!LOL

It is not that I want to modify Hinduism to make it palatable for Non Hindus but the fact is even Hindu youngsters are question why images of Goddess are frightening.

We have to remember that the image that the eye sees is what forms the perception in the mind.

Did Durga or Kali actually look like that?

None of us really know for sure..so if we dont really know the least we can do is not to depict Her as a violent female.

So its a good move that people in India themselves are seeking for change in the image they see.

Thats a really good move.

Last edited:
When Hussain Painted the nude Hindu Gods he lost his citizenship (figuratively). So the sentiments do matter in symbolism. If Goddess Lakshmi did not confirm to Ravi Verma's painting we would not recognize her. If Lord Krishna appeared as a Caucasian in suit, we will not accept him.

Similarly if violence has to eliminated from our art, what happens to all Bollywood-Hollywood movies. Even more importantly what happens to Tom and Jerry or other cartoons. If you clean up too much you have nothing to watch. What are they going to do during Kalipuja.
Kali is depicted with a mala of heads.

If the evil is painted out of the world there will be no need of a savior.

Hussain ran away from india on his own and he has said this in tv and press interviews. He wanted to do three projects and these were sponsored by the arab sheiks. He took foreign citizenship for personal economic and financial reasons.

He was given all sorts of assurances by the government, politicians, courts and secularati that nothing will happen to him.

That does not absolve hussain of his strong anti hindu and provocative sentiments through his paintings.

A painter with a similar sounding name, husseini has recently painted srilankan president's portrait with the warm blood of a freshly slaughtered pig. Interested may search for the utube video.

I hope this will not be interpreted as fight over evil!

I was told there is a temple in Chennai that has a form which is half Ganesha and half of Hanuman.

There are millions of Hindu Gods/Goddesses and therefore forms to represent them . A given form may appeal to some people and may not to others.

One thing we do not have is to tell others how they should worship and relate to Isvara. Live and let live and respect others as you would like to be respected is a bed rock principle of Hinduism.

And there are temples without vigraha or murti; some have just stones, trees and space; and the sthalapuranams explain why.

I was told there is a temple in Chennai that has a form which is half Ganesha and half of Hanuman.

There are millions of Hindu Gods/Goddesses and therefore forms to represent them . A given form may appeal to some people and may not to others.

One thing we do not have is to tell others how they should worship and relate to Isvara. Live and let live and respect others as you would like to be respected is a bed rock principle of Hinduism.

The Bengalis are actually happy with their Gods..

Why should we change...Is it to satisfy the ego of some atheist or marxist?

All these are symbolic..

Tomorrow there will be a demand why Lord Ganesha has a elephant's head..

In our land we worship from peacocks to cows to snakes to stones..It is all part of our rich pluralist religious tradition

In case we want to mock at it, this is not the place for mocking our culture and traditions!

Vganeji,
The op is about the changes in Hindu Bengal Durga - moorties. The changes as per that report is not from Marxists or atheists.
There was no mocking at all. It is the changes that being brought about, that is not to my liking. I grew up with traditional Durga Idols.
durga+puja+thakur.jpg

Just as I imagine an Indian women in Sari and not in Bikini, I have this image of Durga as the authentic idol. But things do change whether we like it or not.

I will miss my ideal Durga - puja with out my ideal idol.

Durga is believed to stay for five days to eradicate evil – buffalo demon Mahishasura – from the earth before returning to her husband, Lord Shiva, at Kailash on Dashami (the 10th day).
goddess-durga1-e1381213313625.jpg
The craftsmen who now have moved from obscurity to prominence thanks to their ingenuity are also inspired by Bollywood this year. With six-pack abs sported by stars like Salman Khan and Shahrukh Khan, clients have ordered models of the Mahishasura displaying chiseled abs and arms.
“That look is being used in very expensive models as the sculpting of the anatomical requirements takes time and intricate craftsmanship. Many of our clients (the puja organisers) have asked for the particular style,” said Babu Pal, the spokesperson of Kumartuli Mritshilpi Sanskriti Samity.

Durga Puja Festival: Making of new-age Durga idols in Kumartuli, Kolkata

Vganeji,
The op is about the changes in Hindu Bengal Durga - moorties. The changes as per that report is not from Marxists or atheists.
There was no mocking at all. It is the changes that being brought about, that is not to my liking. I grew up with traditional Durga Idols.
View attachment 3702

Just as I imagine an Indian women in Sari and not in Bikini, I have this image of Durga as the authentic idol. But things do change whether we like it or not.

I will miss my ideal Durga - puja with out my ideal idol.

Thank you Prasadji for the clarification on your position!

It is a 'deadly' combination of ignorance, stupidity, arrogance and mischief that the author displays in my view.
That comment is not justified.
If people want Non violent Durga, the reporter can not be blamed. This thread is in the GD section and not in religious section. It is a commentary about the art form. So there is no mocking, or philosophy. This is strictly cultural.

If people want Non violent Durga, the reporter can not be blamed. This thread is in the GD section and not in religious section. It is a commentary about the art form. So there is no mocking, or philosophy. This is strictly cultural.

Durga being portrayed as violent or non-violent is missing the big picture of the symbolism completely. I do not expect ordinary people including members here to understand that. There is no issue with that

But a writer should be able to put things in perspective as part of describing the story.

Some ordinary folks may not relate with the form of one kind and may want a different kind - that is perfectly fine. There is no issue there also.

The issue is about the writer's (lack of) knowledge and his prejudices arising out of ignorance that I sensed that I was commenting on. I have higher expectations of a writer for a paper than an average person on the street.

There is a mischief part as well that more than I sensed.

Hence my characterization ..

prasadji
Kindly take permission from cultural and religeous police of this forum before posting photos of durga or other goddesses

you are fast becoming close to an endangered member .

some are waiting to pounce on you.lol

:nono: This argument is not valid!

Why did we blame an artist when he painted nude Hindu Goddesses?

After all, it was an art form and the pictures were NOT to be kept in temples!

P.S: Please see this link ''
Controversial Paintings'' and then check your BP!

Last edited:
:nono: This argument is not valid!

Why did we blame an artist when he painted nude Hindu Goddesses?

After all, it was an art form and the pictures were NOT to be kept in temples!

P.S: Please see this link ''
Controversial Paintings'' and then check your BP!

Like Krishji says:
you are fast becoming close to an endangered member .
I must be cautious of my comments. (a rather new thing for me).
Rajiji,
I fully support the artists right to paint, mold, carve anything they or their patrons want. It is freedom of expression.
My BP is fine.

I can still lament the art or culture that is disappearing or getting changed. Just as I said about Sari clad women disappearing from Indian scene.

How did you get the impression that I am against paintings? I was making an observation about the trend of changes that is happening to our culture, and my feeling about the change.

I wrote in an earlier post:
If the evil is painted out of the world there will be no need of a savior.

Last edited:
Dear Prasad Sir,

Whether the nude paintings are kept in temples or not, they are NOT to be appreciated!

How can we allow someone to demean our Goddesses? Do people think that Hindus can tolerate everything?

I think I should have written more clear!

Can we say,
''
After all, it was an art form and the pictures were NOT to be kept in temples''?

Dear Prasad Sir,

How can we allow someone to demean our Goddesses? Do people think that Hindus can tolerate everything?
How can WE the mere mortals insult the almighty God? Who appointed us as the protector of God, as if God needs protection?

There is famous Bhajan:
Kisne dekhi teri Surat, kaun baneye teri Murat
Tu nirakar hai bhagvan, bana man mandir alishan
Roughly translated:
Who has seen your form, who makes your idol
Toy are formless god, make a grand heart temple.

After seeing Khojraho Temple, i do not thing anything else will shock me.

When we try to censer others, it is purely our EGO that gets in the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back