• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Harvard Changing Admission Rules: Will Focus on Social Justice Over Achievements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lalit

Wow! It's time to say "ENOUGH"!

[h=1]Harvard Changing Admission Rules: Will Focus on Social Justice Over Achievements[/h][h=2]Why focus on personal achievements when there are too many unfair advantages?[/h]Harvard University is taking steps to change how students apply to college by focusing on social justice issues rather than personal academic performance.
In a report released Wednesday, Harvard announced its Making Caring Common project which proposes to help "educators, parents, and communities raise children who are caring, responsible to their communities, and committed to justice."
It seems the goal in all of this is to "nurture communities" to make them "more just, caring, and respectful places" rather than stay "focused on personal achievement and happiness."
Other resources listed at the site include, "How the Refugee Crisis is a Lesson in Kindness for Our Kids," and a new research report that suggests "teen girls face a powerful barrier to leadership: gender bias."
So, in future admissions, Harvard is setting the stage to look at community service over how many AP classes a prospective student has taken.
From The Washington Post:

A new report released today by Making Caring Common, a project of the Harvard Graduate School of Education, takes a major step in trying to change the college admissions process to make it more humane, less super-human.
Parents, educators and college administrators have long wrestled with the unintended negative side effects of the admissions process, like the intense focus on personal achievement and the unfair advantages of more affluent students. The report, entitled Turning the Tide: Inspiring Concern for Others and the Common Good Through College Admissions, aims to tackle these complex issues. It lays out a blueprint for addressing three of the most intractable challenges facing college applicants today: excessive academic performance pressure, the emphasis on personal achievement over good citizenship, and the uneven opportunities available to students of varying income levels and backgrounds.
The lead author of the report, Richard Weissbourd, said the MCC project has over 80 endorsements from admissions officers, deans, professors and high school counselors.
“It’s the first time in history that I’m aware of that a group of colleges is coming together to lay out what is and what isn’t valued in the admissions process," he said.
And Harvard isn't alone. Yale University's dean of undergraduate admissions, Jeremiah Quinlan, told the Post, "Yes, we want students who have achieved in and out of the classroom, but we are also looking for things that are harder to quantify, [like] authentic intellectual engagement and a concern for others and the common good."
Quinlan said Yale will be adding an essay question to its admissions application next year asking for examples of how an applicant has contributed to his or her family and/or community.
The University of Virginia is also on board with the project.
But with less emphasis on ACT/SAT scores or other academic markers, and a new emphasis on perceived kindness, is there a chance that high school kids will work that system to their advantage? Most definitely so. But according to what Weissbourd told the Post, that won't matter much:
There will be some applicants who will try to game these new recommendations by engaging in community service in which they have no real interest and later writing insincerely about their experience. However, Weissbourd notes, even students who engage in community service with misplaced motivation may have a powerful learning experience. Research shows that for many students service activities are an opportunity for maturity and growth, even when they are mandatory or driven by the college application process.
This program "is the first step in a two-year campaign that seeks to substantially reshape the existing college admissions process."

In turning this tide, Harvard says, "It's time to say, 'Enough.'"

http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/har...s-will-focus-social-justice-over-achievements

My first experience in Social service came when I joined NSS during my Engineering! We taught the local kids at school and imbibed the spirit of service & sacrifice!

Many in india got into community service cycles to boost their admission chances to good foreign univ.

One of my relatives who was sitting home for one year as he missed the admission bus and did not get campus placement after engg graduation was persuaded to jump on the community

service band wagon by his friends who took to it .

Only abroad in US such fads are promoted and our youngsters in their desire to somehow make it to US develop a sudden love for community service

Many in india got into community service cycles to boost their admission chances to good foreign univ.

One of my relatives who was sitting home for one year as he missed the admission bus and did not get campus placement after engg graduation was persuaded to jump on the community

service band wagon by his friends who took to it .

Only abroad in US such fads are promoted and our youngsters in their desire to somehow make it to US develop a sudden love for community service
hi

community service hours must for high school diploma in USA....many indian students are doing community services in local

hindu temples as volunteers....

In addition to class room excellence, exposure to community services would enhance the ability of the students to have all round development of all faculties of the mind.

I got fascinated with boy scout uniform when I was in school.

I ended up by mistake in one of the camps .

I had to stay in tent with a few others.

I could not put up with the routine drill and inconvenience.

I got homesick in couple of days and I thought of my cushy bed and life home.

One kindly lady who had come to visit her child took me back home taking pity on me.

I swore never to get trapped in such movements.

Similarly some wearing brown knickers tried me to rope me into their movement when I was young.Their party is in power now.

I told them I was a big fellow and knickers are a big no-no.

Thus ended my associations with service organisation.

I got fascinated with boy scout uniform when I was in school.

I ended up by mistake in one of the camps .

I had to stay in tent with a few others.

I could not put up with the routine drill and inconvenience.

I got homesick in couple of days and I thought of my cushy bed and life home.

One kindly lady who had come to visit her child took me back home taking pity on me.

I swore never to get trapped in such movements.

Similarly some wearing brown knickers tried me to rope me into their movement when I was young.Their party is in power now.

I told them I was a big fellow and knickers are a big no-no.

Thus ended my associations with service organisation.
hi

i was scout master....when i was school teacher in chennai....i conducted many camps...i like it....after joining army....

i used to connect with NCC CAMP.... even i attended NCC camp in delhi cantt for republic day parade....its hard..but

its very useful to be GOOD CITIZENSHIP......its not for everyone...many tambram mom boys had problems...like home sick...

can u imagine in delhi cantt in tent life during dec/jan winter months?......morning parades are horrible....so its not

everyone....

Last edited:
Lalit ji,
I understand from the links that Harvard University has started giving importance for "extra curricular activities" by making it as an additional criterion during admission.

Where comes the social justice in your caption.

Are the words " Social Justice " have different connotation and meaning ?

Lalit ji,
I understand from the links that Harvard University has started giving importance for "extra curricular activities" by making it as an additional criterion during admission.

Where comes the social justice in your caption.

Are the words " Social Justice " have different connotation and meaning ?

Mr. YesMohan, the write-up is self-explanatory. As you may be aware, extra-curricular activities are not synonymous with social-justice activities. A list of extra-curricular activities at http://blog.prepscholar.com/list-of-extracurricular-activities-examples may help in the understanding and the range of activities which fall within that category. This may once again only add to the personal growth and improvement of the participants (just like their academic scores) without creating sensitivity to the plight of "others" and the issues faced by the underprivileged.

Social justice activities will sensitize the students to the different prevailing social problems and expose them to real life situations giving them a holistic understanding of what social justice means, and the gaps in the implementation of suitable strategies or action-steps for adoption of different mind-sets and approaches. The benefits of such learning experience in such social activities are immense and will often lift the colored blinds from the eyes of the participants, helping them see the impact of unjust and prejudiced beliefs (considered as sacrosanct by some sections) for what they actually are.

As the write-up indicates:

"In a report released Wednesday, Harvard announced its Making Caring Common project which proposes to help "educators, parents, and communities raise children who are caring, responsible to their communities, and committed to justice." (emphasis added)
It seems the goal in all of this is to "nurture communities" to make them "more just, caring, and respectful places" rather than stay "focused on personal achievement and happiness."
Other resources listed at the site include, "How the Refugee Crisis is a Lesson in Kindness for Our Kids," and a new research report that suggests "teen girls face a powerful barrier to leadership: gender bias.""

Guess the clarification is easy to follow.

It is mostly the parents who discriminated on the basis of rich and poor, higher or lower caste or religion who require to make india a more caring and tolerant place.

If parents change, children will follow them.

They can get off the backs of children if society has to change for the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back