• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Happy Tamil New Year - Significance of the Tamil New Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

WISHING EVERY MEMBER AND THEIR FAMILY A VERY HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS TAMIL NEW YEAR

New Year 2014.jpg

WARM REGARDS

P J and Family

The Hindu Astronomical Significance of the Tamil New Year

The Earth travels in an eliptical path around the Sun through 360 degrees (Paakai in Tamil), and the time period for one such complete travel around the Sun (Suriyan in Tamil) is called an Year (Aandu in Tamil).

The circumferance of the eliptical path traced by the Earth (Ulaham in Tamil) having the Sun as the central point - are divided into twelve arcs, and the angular segments traced by each arc measuring 30 degress is called a House (Veedu in Tamil or Rasi in Sanskrit). Thus the earth passes through twelve Houses in an year.

In actual fact, it is the Earth which enters each Houses at any given time. But for us who live on the Earth it appears as if the Sun is moving (relative Motion), and we very loosely say that the "Sun travels through the twelve Houses"

The twelve Houses are named as,

(1) Meda Veedu or Raasi
(2) Idapa Veedu or Raasi
(3) Mithuna Veedu or Raasi
(4) Kataka Veedu or Raasi
(5) Singa Veedu or Raasi
(6) Kanni Veedu or Raasi
(7) Thula Veedu or Raasi
(8) Virutchika Veedu or Raasi
(9) Thanu Veedu or Raasi
(10) Makara Veedu or Raasi
(11) Kumba Veedu or Raasi
(12) Meena Veedu or Raasi

The Sun (that appears to be moving) in to Meda Veedu or Raasi, is taken as the starting point of it's next complete cycle throught the twelve Veeduhal.

The period of travel of the Sun in each Veedu or Raasi is known as a "Thingal" - a Month (also known as Maatham in Tamil and Maasa in Sanskrit). Hence for the Sun to travel through the twelve Veedus or Rasis to complete one cycle, it takes twelve Thingals which is known as an "Aandu" - a Year (also known as Varudam in Tamil and Varusha in Sanskrit).

The time the Sun enters the "Meda Veedu" or Raasi was traditionally taken as the starting point of the New Year by the Tamils.

Also the "positioning" (Niyathi) of the twenty seven "Meengal" (Natchaththirams) within these twelve Veeduhal too has been traditionally counted from "Acchuvini" the first Meen in the Meda Veedu, and ends up in "Revathi" as the last Meen in the Meena Veedu.

The fact that the Meda Veedu commences with the first of the twenty seven Meenkal namely the Acchuvini in "initial position" (Niyathi), too confirms that from the early days Tamils reckoned the starting point of a year cycle with the Meda Veedu.

The one who calculates the astronomical settings and movements of the Earth, Sun, and other Planets in respect of the 12 Veedus or Rasis is known as the "Sothidar" (Saaththriyaar - in Jaffna). But in ancient times in Tamil Nadu they were known as the "Kaalak Kanithar"

Significance of the Tamil New Year

Picture: Google

Happy Tamil New Year - Jaya

On the dawn of "Jaya Varusham" my Best Wishes to all members of Tamil Brahmins Forum.
May the Blessings of almighty be with us for a healthy and happy life through out the
year and years to come.
:pray2:
Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

வாழ்க வளமுடன்! அனைவருக்கும் இனிய 'ஜெய'வருஷ புத்தாண்டு நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the wishes .Wishing our TB Forum members and their family a very healthy,wealthy and prosperous JAYA VARUDAM NALL VAZTHUKAL. :peace: :grouphug: :happy: :love:

Wish all my friends of Tamil Brahmins, both my seniors and younger ones, A happy new year, and Vishu.
Sorry for the delayed response.
S.Viswanathan
muvishy

வாழ்க வளமுடன்! அனைவருக்கும் இனிய தமிழ் புத்தாண்டு நல்வாழ்த்துக்கள்

March 16 is my Birth Day & I am happy to receive the Greetings from this site. I wish all our members a very/ very / very HAPPY Tamil JAYA Year.

Rishikesan

மிக மிக மகிழ்ச்சியான மற்றும் வளமான புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள்

இனிய புத்தாண்டு வாழ்த்துக்கள் / Happy New Year. I pray God to shower on all ,In Jaya Varusha, all that are the best in life.

R.Jambunathan and family

hi, i wish to know which one is the correct date to celebrate Birthday,as per Star date or as per English calender date?

wishing all a very happy new year this is sunkan in a new avatar as entry banned there :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back