• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gruhapravesam before Varshapthigam

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AnandKIyer

Dear Elders, My father's First Varshapthigam will fall by June 2012. For some financial reasons, I should go into a new house before that. So is it allowed to do Gruhapravesam before the Varshapthigam? I must occupy the house in a couple of months from now. How this can be done without any Sasthira Virodham? Thanks for your esteemed time in looking this query and answering. Regards Anand.

You can go to the new house in a couple of months. Monthly masyam and sodhakumbam you are doing is not it? Immediately after finishing monthly sodhakumbam and masyam you may go there and do one kooshmaanda homam ,ganapathy homam there before the next month's masyam.

I would like to know about Kooshmanda Homam and the importance of Darbhai,the rules pertaining to Darbhai, etc. Eg/ We should not take or give darbhai by hand .When we are getting from sastrigal also, we should take it in a plate and offer daklhinai. On no occasion, we shd.keep our feet on that. We shd.not keep darbhai on floor ordinarily.

I would like to know about Kooshmanda Homam and the importance of Darbhai,the rules pertaining to Darbhai, etc.Eg/ We should not take or give darbhai  by hand .When we are getting from sastrigal also, we should take it in a plate and offer daklhinai.  On no occasion, we shd. not keep our feet on that. &;We shd.not keep darbhai on floor ordinarily.

Dear Elders, My father's First Varshapthigam will fall by June 2012. For some financial reasons, I should go into a new house before that. So is it allowed to do Gruhapravesam before the Varshapthigam? I must occupy the house in a couple of months from now. How this can be done without any Sasthira Virodham? Thanks for your esteemed time in looking this query and answering. Regards Anand.

Shri Anand K Iyer,

The orthodox tradition did not allow such Grihapravesam within one year from the demise of father, because this one year is believed to be "Gruhaseethakam". But times are changing conditions of living are far different now and there is freedom in our religion to change the customs, if necessary.

So, there is no objection to your doing Grihapravesam during this one year period. KooshmANDa is a variety of pumpkin which the tantriks doing black magic patronize heavily; they believe that the evil powers can be brought into kooshmANDa easily and used for their ulterior purpose. Somewhere down the line, our vaideeki system seems to have adopted this word to denote some mantras in Chapter 2.5.1 onwards and a homam using these mantras is known as kooshmANDa homam. I am not sure whether our purohits make use of one kUshmANDam also to make the name "anvartha". Anyway, the mantras are for destruction of the enemies, including step-brothers of the yajamaana, known and unknown. An extract from the mantras is given below for general info.

yo nassapatno yo raṇo marto:'bhidāsati devāḥ |
idhmasyeva prakṣāyato mā tasyocchesi kiñcana |
yo mām dveṣṭi jātavedo yam cāham dveṣmi yaśca mām |
sarvāṃstānagne samdaha yāmścāham dveṣmi ye ca mām |

I therefore consider this kooshmANDa homam an unnecessary addition.

I would like to know about Kooshmanda Homam and the importance of Darbhai,the rules pertaining to Darbhai, etc.Eg/ We should not take or give darbhai  by hand .When we are getting from sastrigal also, we should take it in a plate and offer daklhinai.  On no occasion, we shd. not keep our feet on that. &;We shd.not keep darbhai on floor ordinarily.

'darbha' as also grasses similar to it referred to in our scriptures as कुश, काश, मुञ्ज, वलव्ज, शर (kuśa, kāśa, muñja, valavja, śara), etc., are to be used in the vedic sacrifices. In modern times any one of these is used. But the religious-minded people attach a certain sacredness to it just as in the secular world the national flag is given certain respect, though intrinsically there is nothing special in both the cases. Nowadays the prohibition of giving darbha by hand is almost gone and vaadhyaars do not generally insist on a plate and all that. There is no rule AFAIK which says darbha cannot be taken without dakshina. But we generally compensate the vaadhyaar for the entire ritual, is it not? Not treading on darbhai is part of the respect shown to it as stated earlier. But darbhaasanam is considered very ideal and I have seen people simply placing it on cement floor, sitting on it and doing their poojas, meditation, prayers etc. Even the vedas have verses meaning "tender darbha has been spread for you, O Indra!" etc.

Be careful while children handle these grasses; their edges are like sharp saws and may even cut the fingers of small kids completely (of course not the bone part, though.

Thank you. I would also like to know to dispose off after amavasya, Sraadham, etc.

I presume you are located in India. The custom followed is not to throw the darbhai and other things in sewerage or gutter or pack them along with rubbish. One very orthodox cousin (daayaati) of mine, living in Mumbai, used to collect these and dispose them off in the sea once in a few months.

Santhi kusumakaram, santhi rathnakaram and maharnavam are giving details about this kooshmanda homam. kooshmanda homam is a vaideeka karma. It is in krishna yajur vedam thaithareeya aaranyakam prasnam 2 anuvaaham 3 to 8. In anuvaham 7 this vedam itself says that this is kooshmanda manthram.

Pakshitheertham meemamsa sironmani Brahmasri sundara rama deekshithar has given explanation for this. kooshmitham prakambitham prathapitham vaa,andam brahmandam esham thejasa thaani kooshmaandani sookthani ithyarthaha.

Brahmaandathai aati vaithukondu (vyabithu irundu kondu ) athan maasu marukkalai posukki jwelikka seithu thejusai kootum manthrangale kooshmaanda manthrangal.

Brahmasri viswapathi sastrigal says andam enral brahmaandam allathu andangalin samuham. enave nammai soolnthu irukkum aahaayam , atharkum appaal paranthu kidakkum pala andangal aahiya anaithu edangalilum vyabithu iruppathai kooshmandam ena kuripidukirathu.

it is there in saayana bhasyam also ; In 7th end anuvaaham and in 8th begining anuvaham details are there. useful for doing suddhi karma 1 and suddhi karma 2 and praayaschitha karma.

Bhodhayana vivaha prayohathil aupaasanam aarambathil poorvangamaha koshmanda homam vidhikka patulathu.
to be continued

Bride groom must do kooshmanda homam before taking thr bride as pathni to remove her sins . There is no pumpkin here. only chanting krishna yajur vedam thaithareeya aaranyakam prasnam 2 anuvaaham 3 to 8. Sastrigals who have studied yajur vedam can do this. only one sastrigal is enough. Ghee is enough for homam. it will take 2 hours for one homam.

Srivatsa somadeva sarma in his book sratha prayogam yajur vedam aapasthamba soothram for every parvana sratham kooshmanda homam should be done in aupaasanam agni and pithru homam should be done in the kooshmanda homa agni. few people are still doing like this.

Bhodhayana smartha kalpa soothram enra Bodhayana grahya soothra nool was poblished in 1905 by chennai gnana saagara mudhraakshara saalaavinar in grantha libi. written by kalpa soothra visaarada manakaal sri rama sarma enra Muthu deekshadaraal and verified by many experts.

In this book in 16th chapter page no 370 they are explaing about kooshmanda homam in bodhayana soothram.

Requirements for kooshmanda homam= manjal thool; kunkumam; mango leaf bunch; flowers thoduthathu and uthiri flowers; betel ;betelnut; plantain fruit; coconut; sandalm powder; oothubathi; camphor, akshathai; veebuthi; ghee for homam; lamp; oil; thiri; match box; bricks or homa kundam; vratti; visiri; firewood pieces; neivedhyam; brass sombu; raw rice; pancha pathra uthirini; kolam poda rice flour; thaduku; manai; bell; trays or tambaalam,

arasu or porasu samithu; brass kinnam; aarathi; porasu leaf;dakshinai.

praayaschitham for sins, stealing gold;land etc; after returning from foreign countries, during marriage; and during sratham one must do kooshmanda homam.

Sengalipuram anantharama deekshithar has also insisted all to do kooshmanda homam. This is equivalent to rudhra ekadasini but with less expense in removing sins.in previous births which is affecting us now.

Reg.Darbai, I would like to say that I am in Delhi and there is no sea around or wells, lakes, either/ ZAlso I would like to know how dispose of the extra akshadai after sraddham, please

Thank you very much for the elaborate explanation reg.Kooshmanda Hopmam. So, is it to be performed before Shashtiabdhapoorti also ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back