• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Gritty gypsy girl breaks barriers, joins college course in Dharmapuri

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gritty Gypsy Girl Kalki!!!

R Kalki’s life has never been a bed of roses. Born into a Narikurava (gypsy) family, she had crossed many a hurdle before successfully entering college and is probably the first girl from the nomadic community from the district to pursue higher education.

R-Kalki.jpg

Having scored 940 marks in plus two, Kalki wanted to pursue college education, but faced stiff opposition from her parents, who forced her to get married.Battling all odds, she, however, managed to secure a B.Com admission in the Government Arts College here.

“Being from a nomadic community, my childhood days were spent in several towns. When I was seven, I came to Dharmapuri and settled on Narikuravars street in Pachanamapatti of Harur taluk. I did primary schooling at the middle school in Batchapettai. My parents did not allow me to go to school after class 10. However, after much convincing, they permitted me and I did my higher secondary in Harur high school,” Kalki told Express.

“Problem began when my parents started searching for a groom for me since in our community, girls would be married off at a young age. However, I rejected all proposals. One fine morning, I left the house and with the help of members of a political party I joined the government arts college,” she said. “However, on seeing my grit and determination, my father was convinced, but my mother stopped talking to me. One day she too will understand,” she hoped.

Nursing ambitions of becoming a lawyer, Kalki said “As such, we cannot get the benefits of reservation. I want to become a lawyer to achieve social equality.” Her appeal to the government is to devise special schemes for the community.

Gritty gypsy girl breaks barriers, joins college course in Dharmapuri - The New Indian Express

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back