• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Golden anklets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nowadays it is observed that it has become a fashion for some ladies to wear anklets made of gold. But it is not proper to wear it.

It is considered as dosham to wear gold below one's hip. For us gold is not just metal for ornaments alone but something more. Pavitramaanadhu.

Gold was worn by royal families below their waist (in the form of anklets) also. In travancore there was a ban on others wearing golden anklets, I understand. In fact tax was levied for gold ornaments being made by any one, at a certain period, can you believe it? I am told that most ordinary tam-brahmin women used to wear only a manjal muttaan tied to a yellow string as thaali, in those days because they were not able to afford gold, the tax and all.

Golden anklets: It is a matter of opinion, and what Sastras say just I am quoting it. If one wants to take shelter under the guise of fashion & convennience, it is upto to him whether to give priority to these things or to the saying of our elders.

Regarding the practice in Kerala I quite agree that this is as per the regional practice otherwise called desaachaaram. Over the centuries some of the customs have evolved and changed depending upon the region. Thus in Kerala women do not tie their hair but keep the tress flowing openly. Again the practice of ladies coveing the front with a dhavani (half sari) is not followed there. These practices are exlusive to the region and should not be found fault with, where the common law is to be the guide

Coming back to the subject gold, even in our Vedathere is a special mention and placeof pride for it. Gold is not just ornamental metal alone but one should view it as something which deserves worshipping. That is why we don't even keep the gold on the bare floor or on the places where purity is in question. Of all the Daanams, Swarna-daanam is considered more beneficial and fit for prayaschitham. Hindus believe that Mahalakshmi resides in Gold.

Guruvarulum Tiruvarulum ellorukkum kidaikkattum.
Sarma Sastrigal

Sir:

I read in Vaithikasri that gold ornaments like kolusu or metti should not be worn below
the hip as the portion below the hip is not considered pure. Sastras do say that
one must wear at least a gram of gold as pavithram ( mothiram ).

Apart from this , Gold has some medicinal values. Gold-charged water is prescribed
for cardiac ailments by Naturopaths, i.e., take a cup-full of water, drop a small gold
coin and boil the water till it is reduced to half and take it once or twice a day. This
would strengthen heart muscles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back